Senators who opposed background checks losing support

Must have missed the USA Today link within the source....

:eusa_whistle:

USA TODAY Poll: Public support for gun control ebbs

Or are they too conservative for consideration?

What about public support for "background checks" - has it ebbed?

Posted: 04/29/2013 11:54 am EDT
Senators Lose Support After Opposing Gun Background Checks, Poll Shows

Most people really didn't understand the wording of the Bill. "Background checks" is such a vague concept until the wording of the Bill is understood. "Mentally ill" was thrown out and "mental disorder" replaced. We've gone over this several times over the last month. Mental disorder is such a potentially overreaching term which the government would have had sweeping powers for taking guns out of the hands of Americans.
That's what those against any type of gun control are saying, but background checks is not a complicated issue, and I believe most people are in favor of expansion of what we now have and better enforcement.
If they wanted the criminal background checks for gun shows (I think they are already there) it would have been a done deal. Anything more would have been too subjective to implement.
No, many states do not require background checks at gun shows.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws
The media is mostly playing politics in their journalism of the subject. This is what the uninformed people read. If they did their homework, perhaps they would understand why it didn't pass. Even Baukus(D) from Montana who isn't running for another term voted "no" on the Bill.

That's no indicator. McCain, a Republican from a red state voted yes. It's appalling that responsible gun owners would not care that people with criminal backgrounds or mental illness would be able to acquire guns. There is simply no excuse.

What about public support for "background checks" - has it ebbed?

Posted: 04/29/2013 11:54 am EDT

Most people really didn't understand the wording of the Bill. "Background checks" is such a vague concept until the wording of the Bill is understood. "Mentally ill" was thrown out and "mental disorder" replaced. We've gone over this several times over the last month. Mental disorder is such a potentially overreaching term which the government would have had sweeping powers for taking guns out of the hands of Americans.
That's what those against any type of gun control are saying, but background checks is not a complicated issue, and I believe most people are in favor of expansion of what we now have and better enforcement.
If they wanted the criminal background checks for gun shows (I think they are already there) it would have been a done deal. Anything more would have been too subjective to implement.

The media is mostly playing politics in their journalism of the subject. This is what the uninformed people read. If they did their homework, perhaps they would understand why it didn't pass. Even Baukus(D) from Montana who isn't running for another term voted "no" on the Bill.

That's no indicator. McCain, a Republican from a red state voted yes. It's appalling that responsible gun owners would not care that people with criminal backgrounds or mental illness would be able to acquire guns. There is simply no excuse.

From your source:
Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks.

So there are background checks from the licensed dealers...just not private sales at the shows.
I do believe if they wanted to close that "loophole", and criminal background checks, it would have passed, but it got really fuzzy with the wording of the Bill.

Again....mental illness was thrown out and mental disorder replaced it.....that is where the rubber meets the road.....there is quite a difference between the two...you do understand that, right?

It is beginning even before the commercials from Gifford's group. I hope they spent the checks from the NRA well.

beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

From your source:
Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks.

So there are background checks from the licensed dealers...just not private sales at the shows.
I do believe if they wanted to close that "loophole", and criminal background checks, it would have passed, but it got really fuzzy with the wording of the Bill.
And you think that's okay? Background checks should be done with all sales.

The United States Senate displayed a mass failure of leadership yesterday when it killed, without even allowing an up-and-down vote, the measure that would have required background checks for sales of guns at gun shows and on the Internet and in other commercial transactions. The action was not really about differences of philosophy or Second Amendment rights, not when polls show that 80% to 90% of Americans favor expanded background checks.
Gun Control: A Congress of Cowards - Forbes

Again....mental illness was thrown out and mental disorder replaced it.....that is where the rubber meets the road.....there is quite a difference between the two...you do understand that, right?
Neither person, those with mental illness or mental disorder should be allowed to own guns. Some argue that those who suffer from autism are not prone to violence, but Lanza proved them wrong.

From your source:

The United States Senate displayed a mass failure of leadership yesterday when it killed, without even allowing an up-and-down vote, the measure that would have required background checks for sales of guns at gun shows and on the Internet and in other commercial transactions. The action was not really about differences of philosophy or Second Amendment rights, not when polls show that 80% to 90% of Americans favor expanded background checks.

Neither person, those with mental illness or mental disorder should be allowed to own guns. Some argue that those who suffer from autism are not prone to violence, but Lanza proved them wrong.

Dude stop it. Even on line their are background checks.
Ever heard of an FFL?

From your source:

re: bold

Are you in favor of Voter ID laws, or do you feel they unfairly keep people from being to vote?

From your source:

I see it's all about the emotion with you.
Mental disorder goes far beyond autism. Something as simple as anxiety could be enough to take a gun away or prevent someone to purchase a gun. Like I've said, the wording was vague and open for too much interpretation to be left up to our government.
So what you think really means nothing to me and if people understood the Bill wouldn't be in favor of the Bill either.

From your source:

Ever heard of an FFL?

Yeah right! That's why NRA and irresponsible people were all up in arms about the gun control bill.

And FYI, I'm not a DUDE!

Ever heard of an FFL?

Yeah right! That's why NRA and irresponsible people were all up in arms about the gun control bill.

And FYI, I'm not a DUDE!

You're right you're a dub ass
Even online they have background checks.

The gun manufacturers and the NRA are the force behind the NO vote. Slowly, yet surely the voters are learning who these people are.

And FYI, I'm not a DUDE!

Keep drinking the KoolAid.

If I buy a gun online, I need to have them send it to a local licensed gun dealer so he can do the background check. :eusa_whistle:

I really doubt you have gone through the process of purchasing a gun or rifle.

If I buy a gun online, I need to have them send it to a local licensed gun dealer so he can do the background check. :eusa_whistle:

Don't assess all gun sales by your experience. Even the licensed dealer that sold Adam Lanza's mother her guns got shut down because he wasn't doing background checks.

Funny, Gallup is showing that Obama is losing support.

Gallup had Romney winning the election.

Really? I don’t remember that. I thought Gallup had him losing but in several states it was within the margin of error and it was partisans demanding that all those states would break in favor of Romney because the pollsters sis not know what they were doing.

I know. It got watered down and still didn't pass.

first they wanted to pass an unwritten bill

another one of those you have to pass it to see what is in it bills

when that was a no go they threw one together

this is why it appeared watered down

but in reality you cant have universal back ground checks

with out registration and registration is a no go

Why would "registration" be required for universal background checks to work? BTW, I thought a federal registry of gun ownership was already against the law (up to 15 years in jail).

As for the registration argument -- licensed federal dealers could report the transaction to the state without giving the name of the buyers. The state could keep a database of transfers, including gun serial numbers and the identity of the seller, which would help police investigations. Or, as universal background-check advocates have proposed, gun owners themselves could be required to document transactions. If a gun was found in the possession of a criminal, police could go back to previous owners to provide the documentation. Under this system, most private sales would not be known to the government -- but police would have an avenue to investigate gun crimes and gun owners would have a strong incentive to do background checks and keep records regarding transfers, making it tougher for criminals to get guns.

More: Editorial: Universal background checks needed and don't have to lead to gun registration - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Because it is totally unenforceable without registration requirements. If you have no idea when or who sold a gun, how can you ensure they do a background check?

IOW, the law was pointless drivel adding nothing that current law does not already accomplish. Do you think we should be passing law just because it sounds good or has the right title?

Don't assess all gun sales by your experience. Even the licensed dealer that sold Adam Lanza's mother her guns got shut down because he wasn't doing background checks.

So your saying that there already was a gun regulation in place? Yet, Lanza got a gun and did what he did?
Hmmmmm

Keep pushing that democratic kkk platform of gun control, it's giving you the wrong answer and making you look stupid.

Keep pushing the idiotic Republican "bar none" gun ownership and witness your party decimating itself. And your response doesn't make you look stupid, it confirms it.

You full of shit your handlers need to give you different talking points.

Forum List

Back