Sensible Gun Law & Gun Ownership Changes

Grace Is Stoked

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2019
Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.

Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.
there is nothing sensible about your proposals..,

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,

You are a gun grabber

Actually, it would probably increase the number of Illegal Weapons substantially.

Seems like a lot of hoops, designed to discourage people from owning firearms, and in this age where Riots are a regular event as well as ordinary crime and terror attacks, most people need firearms for personal protection both at home and on the street.

Erecting and maintaining these hoops and government discretion as to who "needs" firearms, when the vast majority do need them already, will cause a lot of people just to buy guns from unregulated back alley sources instead.

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,
I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.

I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.
not by a reasonable person,,,

Which other essential Constitutional rights would you also like to see subject to such restrictions.

Should I have to get a license to go to church?

Should I be required to prove that I have a legitimate reason for wanting to express a controversial opinion, before I am allowed to post it on a public forum such as this?

Should have to pass a literacy test to prove that I am qualified to vote?

If I wish to peaceably assemble with a group of like-minded people, should I be required to declare a purpose for that gathering?

Well no shit. I'd be railroaded into federal prison for ten years on some gun-related technicality or another just like everyone else by the time I read through all that bullshit even if I didn't have a gun and never owned one in my life.

Just semi-autos?

:laughing0301:

Nope.

Fuck no.

If anything, we are going to repeal the Hughes amendment, and start buying machine guns again.

Where would you get that idea? Jurisdictions in America that have the most Draconian gun laws like Chicago or Washington DC also have the biggest problem with gun crime.

In Washington DC, even members of the Liberal Ruling Class like DNC Operative Seth Rich can get clipped by unknown gunmen and no one has a clue or even cares what happened

Nothing you put in that post even comes close to sensible and every single one of those is flatly unconstitutional. Your first and fourth suggestions are not only a direct violation of the second amendment, they are also a direct violations of the fourth amendment.

Passing something this draconian would essentially remove the right to own a firearm altogether and establish it as a privilege. Self defense and the ability to bear arms is NOT a privilege that the government bestows on a US citizen, it is a right protected under the constitution.

If gun owners should be required to possess a Federal firearm license then they should be able to purchase a firearm absent a background check or completing a 4473 – since a background check is completed when the license is applied for.

Indeed, with such a license, gun owners should be allowed to have new firearms delivered directly to their homes.

In your opinion, not in fact.

None of this would pass Constitutional muster – and appropriately so.

No. Any "gun law" is an unconstitutional infringement on our second amendment right to keep and bear arms. Tell me, who do you depend on to defend your life when someone threatens it? Yourself? Or a man with a gun wearing a uniform? And if the police don't make it in time or have been defunded in your area? Or are you liberal insane enough to believe it is your sacred duty to die at the hands of a criminal rather than take a life to defend your own?

Where do you reckon the thousands of street thugs and drug dealers shooting each other and our fellow Americans get their firearms from? Do you really think they surrender to background checks before proceeding to do drive-by shootings? No law enacted to make gun ownership more difficult will stop a single violent street criminal from killing you or anyone else.

In the immortal words of Johnny Cash; "That is a negatory Red Rider." The part about "federal licensing" aside, a "clean criminal record" sounds pretty vague and HELL NO to the Feds "inspecting" my home.

I have a natural right to firearms. Precluding any agreed upon restrictions, my very existence is the only "designated reason" I need. Caliber doesn't translate to need or use. Someone's squirrel gun probably isn't the same as their "plinker" or even a cute Beretta that can be carried in a purse or hidden underneath a pillow.
My right to own a firearm precludes any training. Training isn't required to exercise the right to speech, free exercise of religion, privacy, etc. Good luck duck hunting with a bolt action rifle by the way. I guess I could get one coyote out of the pack and spend the next several days adjusting to get 1 more. Who knows, maybe in a few weeks I can dwindle the pack down to point where they are no longer a threat to my livestock.

Once again my right to a firearm isn't dependent on the availability of a range. For people in rural areas that would be ludicrous. My "range" is a large hay field. The closest rifle range is miles away and the hours of operation are spotty at best. For handguns you are probably looking at a 50 mile drive unless any old "range" will do for this licensing. My 2nd Amendment right can be revoked if I a fail a test?
Not to beat a dead horse, but that essentially renders my rights null barring some sort of test, licencing, and ability to show need.
I disagree. Those are not sensible. It would do very little to reduce the amount of illegal weapons while placing an extreme burden on a citizen's rights.

While I may disagree with many of your solutions in past posts, and in this case vehemently disagree, I believe in your sincerity and at the least applaud your ability to try have a civil discussion. Maybe you can see why some people would object to these proposals and put forth ideas that are palatable to those you need to convince.

Forum List

Back