🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Sequestration: Blame goes to GOP

Trying to assign blame rather than talking about how to solve the problem. Figures.

Laying blame in order to keep a problem from happening. I'd say that is an attempt at problem solving when dealing with immature wing nuts and their leaders who lack spine, or worse, maybe the GOP wants sequestration because they fear naming the programs they want to cut.

Obama campaigned all over the nation saying, and being criticized by ALL conservatives and the whole GOP, he wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy elite. Why can't the GOP be honest and open with the American people and just name the programs they want to cut?

The whole batch are cowards. An R or a D after their name does not change anything except the flavor of their cowardice.

The budget can be easily balanced. Hell, it is easy to run up a surplus with three simple steps.

1. Ban all tax expenditures. That's over a trillion dollars of increased revenues annually right there. You can lower everyone's taxes. It would also remove the incentive for special interests to pay Congressmen to put tax expenditures in the tax code. So less corruption. Plus everyone who earns the same income pays identical taxes. It does not get more fair than that. Banning tax expenditures kills several birds with one stone.

2. Raise the retirement age to 70. Boehner has actually proposed raising the retirement age, so your claim the GOP has not named any programs they want to cut is bullshit. I would raise the Medicare and Social Security eligibility age to 70, and index it to 9 percent of the population henceforth. Pay five years more into those programs, and draw out five years less. That's a huge spending cut. We are living decades longer than our ancestors, we should not be retiring at the same age they did. Common sense.

3. Cut defense. We are spending far above what we spent during the Cold War which was a period during which we were under a far greater existential threat to our nation.

Last edited:
please try to keep up: Blame over sequestration as a reality when it was sold as never going to happen. President Obama keeps making the mistake of giving the GOP the benefit of the doubt on maturity and love for nation over ideology and partisan politics

His press secretary acknowledged just one week ago that the Obama team came up with the idea.

But given the fundamental dishonesty of the current President, when it suits his purposes, he will be pleased to pretend that Carney never spoke and that "sequestration" was all the other side's idea.
:eusa_shhh:

Sequestration is a Congressional thing. GOP needs to take responsibility for it's own actions and stop shilling for the wealthy elites as it salivates over the possibility of cutting programs.

GOP: name the programs you want to cut.

JAY CARNEY: What I will concede is that we were looking and the Republicans were looking for a trigger around which to build a mechanism to get us out of default possibility and the sequester was one of the idea put forward, yes by the president's team. (Special Report, February 12, 2013)

The PowerPoint That Proves It?s Not Obama?s Sequester After All - The Daily Beast

Congress passed sequestration before the president signed it, and the whole self-defeating exercise was carried out in response to Tea Party Republicans’ insistence that we play chicken with the debt ceiling, which ultimately cost America its AAA credit rating.

But here’s the thing. I happened to come across an old email that throws cold water on House Republicans’ attempts to call this “Obama’s Sequester.”

It’s a PowerPoint presentation that Boehner’s office developed with the Republican Policy Committee and sent out to the Capitol Hill GOP on July 31, 2011. Intended to explain the outline of the proposed debt deal, the presentation is titled: “Two Step Approach to Hold President Obama Accountable.”

It’s essentially an internal sales document from the old dealmaker Boehner to his unruly and often unreasonable Tea Party cohort. But it’s clear as day in the presentation that “sequestration” was considered a cudgel to guarantee a reduction in federal spending—the conservatives’ necessary condition for not having America default on its obligations.

The presentation lays out the deal in clear terms, describing the spending backstop as “automatic across-the-board cuts (‘sequestration’). Same mechanism used in 1997 Balanced Budget Agreement.”

Careful, you're going to get dizzy with all of that spinning. Obama's team suggested it. He signed it. You know, I learned about 35 years ago as a teenager that you'd better be ready, willing and able to back up your threats and to be careful what you ask for because you might get it. You'd think a man elected to the highest office in the land and the most powerful position in the world would already know these life lessons. Barack (not ready for primetime) Obama does not. He is reaping what he has sown......no matter how much the MSM and his supporters try to deny it.

Trying to assign blame rather than talking about how to solve the problem. Figures.

Laying blame in order to keep a problem from happening. I'd say that is an attempt at problem solving when dealing with immature wing nuts and their leaders who lack spine, or worse, maybe the GOP wants sequestration because they fear naming the programs they want to cut.

Obama campaigned all over the nation saying, and being criticized by ALL conservatives and the whole GOP, he wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy elite. Why can't the GOP be honest and open with the American people and just name the programs they want to cut?

The whole batch are cowards. An R or a D after their name does not change anything except the flavor of their cowardice.

The budget can be easily balanced. Hell, it is easy to run up a surplus with three simple steps.

1. Ban all tax expenditures. That's over a trillion dollars of increased revenues annually right there. You can lower everyone's taxes. It would also remove the incentive for special interests to pay Congressmen to put tax expenditures in the tax code. So less corruption. Plus everyone who earns the same income pays identical taxes. It does not get more fair than that. Banning tax expenditures kills several birds with one stone.

2. Raise the retirement age to 70. Boehner has actually proposed raising the retirement age, so your claim the GOP has not named any programs they want to cut is bullshit. I would raise the Medicare and Social Security eligibility age to 70, and index it to 9 percent of the population henceforth. Pay five years more into those programs, and draw out five years less. That's a huge spending cut. We are living decades longer than our ancestors, we should not be retiring at the same age they did. Common sense.

3. Cut defense. We are spending far above what we spent during the Cold War which was a period during which we were under a far greater existential threat to our nation.

:clap2: pretty good damn post and hard to argue with.

Rs were holding the country hostage, McCain pushed it through the House and Boehner said he got 98% of what he wanted.

Yep.

His press secretary acknowledged just one week ago that the Obama team came up with the idea.

But given the fundamental dishonesty of the current President, when it suits his purposes, he will be pleased to pretend that Carney never spoke and that "sequestration" was all the other side's idea.

Sequestration is a Congressional thing. GOP needs to take responsibility for it's own actions and stop shilling for the wealthy elites as it salivates over the possibility of cutting programs.

JAY CARNEY: What I will concede is that we were looking and the Republicans were looking for a trigger around which to build a mechanism to get us out of default possibility and the sequester was one of the idea put forward, yes by the president's team. (Special Report, February 12, 2013)

The PowerPoint That Proves It?s Not Obama?s Sequester After All - The Daily Beast

Congress passed sequestration before the president signed it, and the whole self-defeating exercise was carried out in response to Tea Party Republicans’ insistence that we play chicken with the debt ceiling, which ultimately cost America its AAA credit rating.

But here’s the thing. I happened to come across an old email that throws cold water on House Republicans’ attempts to call this “Obama’s Sequester.”

It’s a PowerPoint presentation that Boehner’s office developed with the Republican Policy Committee and sent out to the Capitol Hill GOP on July 31, 2011. Intended to explain the outline of the proposed debt deal, the presentation is titled: “Two Step Approach to Hold President Obama Accountable.”

It’s essentially an internal sales document from the old dealmaker Boehner to his unruly and often unreasonable Tea Party cohort. But it’s clear as day in the presentation that “sequestration” was considered a cudgel to guarantee a reduction in federal spending—the conservatives’ necessary condition for not having America default on its obligations.

The presentation lays out the deal in clear terms, describing the spending backstop as “automatic across-the-board cuts (‘sequestration’). Same mechanism used in 1997 Balanced Budget Agreement.”

Careful, you're going to get dizzy with all of that spinning. Obama's team suggested it. He signed it. You know, I learned about 35 years ago as a teenager that you'd better be ready, willing and able to back up your threats and to be careful what you ask for because you might get it. You'd think a man elected to the highest office in the land and the most powerful position in the world would already know these life lessons. Barack (not ready for primetime) Obama does not. He is reaping what he has sown......no matter how much the MSM and his supporters try to deny it.

Jay Carney Admits Sequester Was The President's Idea | RealClearPolitics

Thank you for manning up and admitting the truth.........Obama owns the sequester. Now he needs to shut the hell up with all the fear mongering or act like the leader he's supposed to be and propose something better than his original idea.

"Obama has said he wants Congress to end tax loopholes enjoyed mainly by the wealthy to buy lawmakers enough time to pass a budget but Republicans are insisting on deeper spending cuts to reduce the $16 trillion national debt."

What is wrong with closing loopholes for the wealthy? Fair or not, it only makes it look like (or for some people it validates the argument), the GOP is shilling for the wealthy elites.

If the GOP wants cuts to programs let them name the cuts? Obama wanted taxes raise and he named the taxes he wanted raised. Why won't the GOP just be honest and open with the American people, and name the cuts they would hold America hostage for?

The latest game makes it look like they really want to force sequestration, while denying it is what they want to do. This way they get cuts without naming which ones they wanted. They are hedging bets -- betting against the American people, and betting that both parties and the President will share blame with the GOP.

This isn't governing, it's electioneering.:eusa_hand:

Dante
:cool:
dD

You seem to be forgetting that the American people rejected closing loopholes, that's what Romney ran on, for your dear leaders increase in tax rates. He got his increase on tax rates and is now coming for the rejected increases also. Fuck him and the dems, he got what he asked for, time to cut spending like he promised. Moabama proposed the sequester, let him live with it, or work with the republicans to re-target the spending reductions.

"Obama has said he wants Congress to end tax loopholes enjoyed mainly by the wealthy to buy lawmakers enough time to pass a budget but Republicans are insisting on deeper spending cuts to reduce the $16 trillion national debt."

What is wrong with closing loopholes for the wealthy? Fair or not, it only makes it look like (or for some people it validates the argument), the GOP is shilling for the wealthy elites.

blah blah blah...all the GOP's fault....blah blah blah

President Bongo wants more fucking taxes (the ones in the Fiscal Cliff deal weren't good enough apparently) and almost nothing in spending cuts. But hey...this is all the GOP's fault cuz the Libtards say so!

Last edited:
The old ways of the GOP playing fast and loose with important matters are over. Time for the GOP to grow up and also for the GOP to be held to account for Congressional actions under their leadership

But the Dumbos refuse to have Harry Reid held accountable for his obstruction in the Senate.

If the GOP wants cuts to programs let them name the cuts? Obama wanted taxes raise and he named the taxes he wanted raised. Why won't the GOP just be honest and open with the American people, and name the cuts they would hold America hostage for?

The latest game makes it look like they really want to force sequestration, while denying it is what they want to do. This way they get cuts without naming which ones they wanted. They are hedging bets -- betting against the American people, and betting that both parties and the President will share blame with the GOP.

Dante
dD

WRONG!

Obozo wanted sequestration so he signed a bill to get it. Now that it is looming on the horizon, he blames the Republicans for letting it happen.

Get your shit together and stop lying for Obama.

My understanding of sequestration (which I now hear conservatives en masse blaming on Obama as HIS idea) is that it was supposed to be SO unpalatable that it would force both sides to work together on a compromise. It's not working out that way. And NOW, the prevailing mantra seems to be which side can more successfully blame the other for the harm the sequestration will cause. Here we are 3 1/2 months after the election and 1 month after the inauguration, and that's all it seems to come down to as far as the two sides are concerned; who can manage to leverage the political advantage of blame and lay it on the doorstep of the other side, regardless of the truth (or lack thereof) involved.

These men (mostly) are like little children acting out their worst impulses without any fear of parental punishment. MY prescription is that Americans should start to vote the old guard en masse out of office. Primary these jokers! Vote for the opposition! Hell, they don't want to lose their cushy jobs. And if the NEXT crop of legislators are equally childish, vote THEM out of office two years later.

Then, and ONLY then, will you see them straighten up and fly right.

As my wife and I sat down to our first cup of coffee this morning we discussed the looming sequester and agreed that the first thing Obama and his Bots. would do would be to look for a way to try and blame the GOP for it. You guys are so predictable.

As my wife and I sat down to our first cup of coffee this morning we discussed the looming sequester and agreed that the first thing Obama and his Bots. would do would be to look for a way to try and blame the GOP for it. You guys are so predictable.

Considering that Obama keeps asking the GOP-led House to substitute a bill with targeted cuts etc, and the GOP refuses, it's not a hard sell.

Alas, just like I stated in my previous post, both sides are going to make an argument that the other side is to blame (or at least, primarily to blame) ala the gov't shut down of the 90's. As I recall, that didn't work out too well for Newt and the GOP.

But even if the GOP does get most of the blame, I'm frankly sick of all this candy ass nonsense. For one, it doesn't do the country any good. And for another thing, nobody seems to learn from the mistakes. They'll just blunder into the next 'created' crisis, thinking that they can leverage it into political advantage.

It's childish. We deserve better than that. ALL of us, regardless of political affiliation, deserve better from our representatives than these childish games. This is NOT how to run a great country.

Last edited:

Dante
dD

Male Bovine Excrement!

Sequestration was Obozo's idea as his Democrat-controlled Senate refused to pass a budget. Now that they STILL haven't passed one, His Highness and Dingy Harry are trying to pass the blame to the GOP - WHICH HAS PASSED AT LEAST FOUR BUDGET RESOLUTIONS!

GET A LIFE.

My understanding of sequestration (which I now hear conservatives en masse blaming on Obama as HIS idea) is that it was supposed to be SO unpalatable that it would force both sides to work together on a compromise. It's not working out that way. And NOW, the prevailing mantra seems to be which side can more successfully blame the other for the harm the sequestration will cause. Here we are 3 1/2 months after the election and 1 month after the inauguration, and that's all it seems to come down to as far as the two sides are concerned; who can manage to leverage the political advantage of blame and lay it on the doorstep of the other side, regardless of the truth (or lack thereof) involved.

These men (mostly) are like little children acting out their worst impulses without any fear of parental punishment. MY prescription is that Americans should start to vote the old guard en masse out of office. Primary these jokers! Vote for the opposition! Hell, they don't want to lose their cushy jobs. And if the NEXT crop of legislators are equally childish, vote THEM out of office two years later.

Then, and ONLY then, will you see them straighten up and fly right.

ahem......JAY CARNEY: What I will concede is that we were looking and the Republicans were looking for a trigger around which to build a mechanism to get us out of default possibility and the sequester was one of the idea put forward, yes by the president's team. (Special Report, February 12, 2013)

Thank you for manning up and admitting the truth.........Obama owns the sequester. Now he needs to shut the hell up with all the fear mongering or act like the leader he's supposed to be and propose something better than his original idea.
You're right. He needs to propose a budget! He is required by law to do so...but then, Obama disregards whatever laws he wants to.

Considering that Obama keeps asking the GOP-led House to substitute a bill with targeted cuts etc, and the GOP refuses, it's not a hard sell.

Alas, just like I stated in my previous post, both sides are going to make an argument that the other side is to blame (or at least, primarily to blame) ala the gov't shut down of the 90's. As I recall, that didn't work out too well for Newt and the GOP.

But even if the GOP does get most of the blame, I'm frankly sick of all this candy ass nonsense. For one, it doesn't do the country any good. And for another thing, nobody seems to learn from the mistakes. They'll just blunder into the next 'created' crisis, thinking that they can leverage it into political advantage.

It's childish. We deserve better than that. ALL of us, regardless of political affiliation, deserve better from our representatives than these childish games. This is NOT how to run a great country.

What do you think about getting Harry and the Senate to pass a fucking budget eh?

Obama is the POTUS. His job is to lead. He suggested the sequester and signed it into law. When is HE going to present his plan of targeted cuts that have been asked for repeatedly? When is he going to lead?

Forum List

Back