Service Workers at America’s Biggest Companies, like Dunkin’ Donuts, Burger King, & Dollar General, Still Don’t Make $15 an Hour, CEO Pay skyrocketing

Who is forcing them to accept those jobs? That would be illegal.
Nonsense! I'm not into playing games with Americans. Think it through and come back with a rational position.

Do unions force employers to pay higher wages?

Nonsense! I'm not into playing games with Americans. Think it through and come back with a rational position.
You're ignorant regarding the US if you think anyone is forced to accept a low wage.

No, unions negotiate wages for their membership. No force is used.

You're ignorant regarding the US if you think anyone is forced to accept a low wage.

No, unions negotiate wages for their membership. No force is used.
Unions negotiate wages for their membership, ...................... and then?
I told you, I'm not into debating with pretenders who refuse to accept the meaning of 'force'.

Fine with me. I won't shop, eat, or buy from your establishment as you go out of business, and I take my disposable income somewhere with better service and quality. Hope you find a suitable salary job soon. If you are looking to me to support you on your way down, you got the wrong guy. Resources cost more now. Sorry, but I won't be able to help with your crusade.

I told you, I'm not into debating with pretenders who refuse to accept the meaning of 'force'.
force is easy enough to look up,, its you y=that like to use it where it doesnt apply,,

lack of choices isnt force,,

Thousands of workers in food service, hospitality and retail are still making below $15 an hour, including the majority of workers at big-box stores and discount retailers.

You have a point here?

Sometimes, perhaps. But I didn't find that to be the case when I worked for a unionized grocery store for a bit in the 1980's. The union job paid 15 cents an hour more than the federal minimum wage at the time of $3.35 and the union tribute being extracted from my pay made a minimum wage job at other places significantly more lucrative.

The reality of the situation is that Big Labor can't make a crappy paying job a good-paying opportunity.

They have to have minimal skill labor to fill the minimal skill jobs. That dosen't mean even minimal skill workers are going to work for less than $15.00. They might want to eat or rent a place to live. Groceries and housing going down where you live. Labor is THE biggest long term recurring resource cost in any small business. If you are not prepared to pay it, you will not have that resource, you will have shittier service than you do now, and people like me will not shop there, just to support small business. If you can't wrap your head around that, maybe being a small business owner isn't for you.
/-----/ Horseshyt. I worked minimum wage jobs and even below minimum wage when I set out on my own at the age of 20. I rented a furnished room and lived within my means. I actually was able to open a savings account and start putting money away. I could also afford SUNY tuition at a community college towards my degree. As I gained skills, I was able to EARN raises and get better-paying jobs. Notice I said EARN raises, not have them handed out by gov't mandates.

Not one person at my local McDonald's can speak English well enough to understand what they are saying....
Joe's illegals work in fast food today....
/----/ I don't eat that kind of fast food because at my age I don't need the excessive fat, sugar, and sodium. But I did take my grandkids to McDonald's and Wendy's, and snuck a sample of their fries. Wendy's was absolutely better. I did have their pecan salad that wasn't too bad on the sodium or calories and tasted pretty good. McD's discontinued their salad because of Covid. The cashiers I dealt with did speak English with American accents.

Thousands of workers in food service, hospitality and retail are still making below $15 an hour, including the majority of workers at big-box stores and discount retailers.

I agree that service workers should make a living wage.

$15 is nothing these days. Not enough to pay the rent

/-----/ Horseshyt. I worked minimum wage jobs and even below minimum wage when I set out on my own at the age of 20. I rented a furnished room and lived within my means. I actually was able to open a savings account and start putting money away. I could also afford SUNY tuition at a community college towards my degree. As I gained skills, I was able to EARN raises and get better-paying jobs. Notice I said EARN raises, not have them handed out by gov't mandates.
You are like me. Now college tuition of a semester cost as much as a whole degree back in the 60s and 70s. First brand new full size vehicle I bought, cost less than $3,500 off the new car lot. I've bough gas for 0.25/gal, didn't have to pump it myself, and they cleaned the windshield. Times have changed. I am out of touch and maybe always have been. I only worked minimum wage for 3 months in my life, between my junior and senior years of high school. Maybe it is harder now. I am really not in a position to say.

No one is forced to accept a wage in the USA. Potential employees are offered a wage and are totally free to accept or decline the employment. Unions have nothing to do with it.

Forum List

Back