Service Workers at America’s Biggest Companies, like Dunkin’ Donuts, Burger King, & Dollar General, Still Don’t Make $15 an Hour, CEO Pay skyrocketing

I have no problem. I'll go you one better. In my opinion, marketplaces find the pay level necessary to float the boat. A mandatory minimum does nothing in the long run but spur inflation, by artificially increasing the resource price of labor above market pressures to get and keep labor. That is a Keynesian viewpoint, but what do you expect? I made my A's in Econ back in the 1980s.
An A?...then you must realize what happens when a president and his congress hand out billions of dollars?....

Thousands of workers in food service, hospitality and retail are still making below $15 an hour, including the majority of workers at big-box stores and discount retailers.

Than instead of whining about it and expecting politicians to fix everything?
Why don't you actually do something and boycott all those companies whose pay scales you disagree with?

An A?...then you must realize what happens when a president and his congress hand out billions of dollars?....
Too many dollars in circulation makes dollars cheap, economy expands to absorb, some by new business (supposedly) some price inflation (starting at resource level and spreading to consumer price levels, some down the black hole to the top in the stock market/corporation/wealthy (not spending but taking back out of circulation). Governments take steps to keep money cirulating as the extra dollars do no good if going to savings, but usually not effective. Eventually money in circulation is absorbed and equalizes across the economy, inflation subsides, as normal marketplace becomes more efficient again, marketplace pressure again influence competition for the dollars in place at the new level, prices abate somewhat (but never back to original, before the dollar dump) as the ratchet effect is real, and life goes on. Pardon the optimism for someone of my age.
In this case, the biggest money drop was direct to lower earners, pandemic displaced workers, (displaced due to shut down of various enterprises across the spectrum). Idle workers loved it. In many cases rent and mortgage payments were subsidized or put on hold, enabling consumer money to flow into the consumer market instead of to the banks. At the same time, supply chain disruption was taking place due to transportation workers and hub workers off for the pandemic, causing a backlog in non-delivered shipping. Government solution was more money to get people to come back to work. Government mandated wage increases mostly averted, but now business was basically in competition with the government for lower wage scale employees who were enjoying subsidies while off work, inflating wage scale inflation to attract workers back to the system. Naturally, shortage induced consumer price inflation as cheaper dollars chased lower supply as consumer buying with government subsidized dollars and same with stock market (which continued to rise). Initial glut on the energy market, quickly leveled and as economies across the world attempted to rebound, caused shortage, inflating the resource price of key economic resource (namely oil). Allowing oil industry to reap significant higher (record profits) profits on lower production and relatively lower production costs, a situation, that segment gets used to quickly, without economic pressure to increase supply quickly in a normally competitive market. All price inflations absorbed, balanced or at least dealt with at the consumer level as higher prices passed on to consumers across to board.
Net effect in the end, what started as subsidized dollars for the good of the many at the bottom, quickly trickled up (not down), as those that control the resources and end products reap the profits. Stock markets level as extra disposable dollars absorbed and then stock prices decline. Lower end wage scale increased, but workers only see limited or no benefit due to continued higher energy prices and general inflation of consumer prices across the board, as the bulk of the dollars again go to the top. I estimate (or wild as guess) the leveling process of the inflation takes about two years and we are presently only about a quarter way through it.
What did we relearn that we should have already known?
1. World economy is like a giant clunky machine with too many parts interacting to keep it running. It is much quicker and easier to turn the machine off, than to turn it back on from close to a standing start, as the parts do not start up at equal rates and the slack in the machine at start-up will have to be absorbed with greater energy and cost until all parts get back up to speed.
2. Politicians (all politicians regardless of party) are generally only too happy to dole out money, as if it is manna from heaven, as it personally costs them nothing and everybody likes free money, though money is actually never free.
a. They only have two main tricks to control the people of the electorate, one being money as
enticement to behavior, the other being regulation as enticement or control.
3. Federal Reserve Board members being political appointees, give bad advice to politicians, supporting policy that may not be in long term advantage, though attractive in the short term and are slow to reign in or recover from their errors in judgment.
4. Monetary policy is at the discretion of the Fed, not the politician in power, so the blame for the largess of inflationary dollars is more than equally their fault. It's effects are relatively immediate, but how it is doled out is solely the blame of the politicians that love to dole it out and care not for the inefficiencies they create. It is apparent, they never even see them, except in retrospect, becoming the stuff of investigations to place blame elsewhere.

If you made it this far, congratulations. There is something in this post for everyone to love or hate. I have hesitated to place the primary blame, for in the end, we have met the enemy, and it is us.

Thousands of workers in food service, hospitality and retail are still making below $15 an hour, including the majority of workers at big-box stores and discount retailers.

You honestly believe the Dollar Store, Dunkin Donuts and Burger King would pay higher than minimum wage? Seriously?

That is some pretty stupid stuff you are spouting.

Too many dollars in circulation makes dollars cheap, economy expands to absorb, some by new business (supposedly) some price inflation (starting at resource level and spreading to consumer price levels, some down the black hole to the top in the stock market/corporation/wealthy (not spending but taking back out of circulation). Governments take steps to keep money cirulating as the extra dollars do no good if going to savings, but usually not effective. Eventually money in circulation is absorbed and equalizes across the economy, inflation subsides, as normal marketplace becomes more efficient again, marketplace pressure again influence competition for the dollars in place at the new level, prices abate somewhat (but never back to original, before the dollar dump) as the ratchet effect is real, and life goes on. Pardon the optimism for someone of my age.
In this case, the biggest money drop was direct to lower earners, pandemic displaced workers, (displaced due to shut down of various enterprises across the spectrum). Idle workers loved it. In many cases rent and mortgage payments were subsidized or put on hold, enabling consumer money to flow into the consumer market instead of to the banks. At the same time, supply chain disruption was taking place due to transportation workers and hub workers off for the pandemic, causing a backlog in non-delivered shipping. Government solution was more money to get people to come back to work. Government mandated wage increases mostly averted, but now business was basically in competition with the government for lower wage scale employees who were enjoying subsidies while off work, inflating wage scale inflation to attract workers back to the system. Naturally, shortage induced consumer price inflation as cheaper dollars chased lower supply as consumer buying with government subsidized dollars and same with stock market (which continued to rise). Initial glut on the energy market, quickly leveled and as economies across the world attempted to rebound, caused shortage, inflating the resource price of key economic resource (namely oil). Allowing oil industry to reap significant higher (record profits) profits on lower production and relatively lower production costs, a situation, that segment gets used to quickly, without economic pressure to increase supply quickly in a normally competitive market. All price inflations absorbed, balanced or at least dealt with at the consumer level as higher prices passed on to consumers across to board.
Net effect in the end, what started as subsidized dollars for the good of the many at the bottom, quickly trickled up (not down), as those that control the resources and end products reap the profits. Stock markets level as extra disposable dollars absorbed and then stock prices decline. Lower end wage scale increased, but workers only see limited or no benefit due to continued higher energy prices and general inflation of consumer prices across the board, as the bulk of the dollars again go to the top. I estimate (or wild as guess) the leveling process of the inflation takes about two years and we are presently only about a quarter way through it.
What did we relearn that we should have already known?
1. World economy is like a giant clunky machine with too many parts interacting to keep it running. It is much quicker and easier to turn the machine off, than to turn it back on from close to a standing start, as the parts do not start up at equal rates and the slack in the machine at start-up will have to be absorbed with greater energy and cost until all parts get back up to speed.
2. Politicians (all politicians regardless of party) are generally only too happy to dole out money, as if it is manna from heaven, as it personally costs them nothing and everybody likes free money, though money is actually never free.
a. They only have two main tricks to control the people of the electorate, one being money as
enticement to behavior, the other being regulation as enticement or control.
3. Federal Reserve Board members being political appointees, give bad advice to politicians, supporting policy that may not be in long term advantage, though attractive in the short term and are slow to reign in or recover from their errors in judgment.
4. Monetary policy is at the discretion of the Fed, not the politician in power, so the blame for the largess of inflationary dollars is more than equally their fault. It's effects are relatively immediate, but how it is doled out is solely the blame of the politicians that love to dole it out and care not for the inefficiencies they create. It is apparent, they never even see them, except in retrospect, becoming the stuff of investigations to place blame elsewhere.

If you made it this far, congratulations. There is something in this post for everyone to love or hate. I have hesitated to place the primary blame, for in the end, we have met the enemy, and it is us.
What happened to all the cryin over the national debt while Trump was president?...Joe has sent billions of dollars to Ukraine over a very short period of time....and no one knows where the money is going...until you Biden voting Trump haters show some consistency in your whining over economics anything you have to say regarding economics falls on death ears....

What happened to all the cryin over the national debt while Trump was president?...Joe has sent billions of dollars to Ukraine over a very short period of time....and no one knows where the money is going...until you Biden voting Trump haters show some consistency in your whining over economics anything you have to say regarding economics falls on death ears....
The thread was about "Service Workers at America’s Biggest Companies, like Dunkin’ Donuts, Burger King, & Dollar General, Still Don’t Make $15 an Hour, CEO Pay skyrocketing". So, I was responding on economics and how we got into this inflation mess over the last 3 years. So now you want an opinion of financial support to Ukraine to stop Putin's attempted takeover?

$13.6 Billion dollars of support, as we might as well be as specific as possible, is pretty cheap, against sending your kids over there to stop the Russian Sonovabitch, 5,520 miles away.
Along the way, we have reunited NATO, influence increased defense spending by all our NATO allies, something trump and every other president in memory failed to do. Putin is properly highlighted to the world and mostly condemned in his invasion in general and the war crimes of his troops against a peaceful country. All polling shows Americans approve of the move's Joe has made in that regard, with a significant (though in my opinion short sighted) segment wanting him to go much further from the beginning, including not buying Russian crude, even if it makes gas prices rise here. I am not saying it has much to do with the price of unleaded at your pump. That is mostly the oil industry, another subject entirely.
You are really asking the wrong guy for an unbiased view. I'm a 67 year old retired Cold Warrior. The Cold War never ended. Just ask Putin. So, naturally I don't like the FKn Russian government anyway, and Putin in particular. Of course, I know the money is well spent, just as I know money and arms given to Afghanistan to kick the Fkn Russians out of that country was well spent. If I am actually screwing, I want that to be in person. If it is a war that must be fought. I would much rather we did that by proxy, if at all possible, and approve the financial outlay.

The last McDonald's I went to had kiosks for ordering and paying. Still had people on the grill and at the drive-thru, but pretty sure all that will be automated pretty soon too. That's what happens when the market is artificially forced one way or another. Businesses find a way to correct to meet reality, or they go out of business. Both cases mean fewer jobs. All these people trying to force McDonald's to pay "a living wage" for menial work will be forced to go find a real job, and all the kids looking for their first jobs or people looking to supplement their real jobs will be out of luck.

$13.6 Billion dollars of support, as we might as well be as specific as possible, is pretty cheap, against sending your kids over there to stop the Russian Sonovabitch, 5,520 miles away
So we are buying our way out of going to war and so far the price is nearly 14 billion dollars that we must borrow from who knows where?...and that seems practical to you?....
As far as the "service workers" are concerned there is nothing more anti wage increase a country can do than to allow an open border to nations full of desperate job seekers willing to undercut legal citizens in the work force....

I've been in corporate office level jobs for over 20 years now.
I've been making the SAME fucking wage for that time period as well, because companies are SO fucking greedy and corrupt!

Even now, I'm looking for another job, and NOBODY is paying a decent wage! In fact, wages have GONE DOWN!! There's MORE job responsibility, but there is LESS money in hourly wages. And the benefits suck, as well as the so-called "raises", which are nothing more than kicks in the face by the company.

THIS is one of the top main reasons why there are so many jobs.......nobody wants them because nobody can live off of them.

According to these payscale sites, with the skills I have, I should be making around $27.00 an hour, but companies pay HALF that or LESS!

So we are buying our way out of going to war and so far the price is nearly 14 billion dollars that we must borrow from who knows where?...and that seems practical to you?....
As far as the "service workers" are concerned there is nothing more anti wage increase a country can do than to allow an open border to nations full of desperate job seekers willing to undercut legal citizens in the work force....
Yes. Very practical. We had around 4,500 DOD deaths and around 32,000 wounded with a financial costs of around $760 Billion Dollars in the Bush War in Iraq, based on total bullsh#t reasons to invade in the first place and still have people there.
Yep. The Russians attacked in Ukraine, funding and supplying Ukraine without committing troops to combat is the preferred economical way, unless something changes. I think the Ukrainians are doing a wonderful job, and am glad Joe Biden has committed the resources to aid them. I am one of the supporters of the administrations policies up to now, but hardly alone. Polls show most Americans support it, as do the NATO countries as other countries around the world.

Oh, and which party favors high labor costs? Did you say "NEITHER"? I ask, because that is the answer. Do you know of an administration in our history of either political party cracking down on hiring illegals to the point of heavy fines and jail time for the companies that hire them, across the board at the highest levels or is it a slap on the wrist and go on with business elsewhere? This is what it is all about. Only dumbasses think preventing illegal immigration is about preventing illegals from voting.

Oh, and which party favors high labor costs? Did you say "NEITHER"? I ask, because that is the answer. Do you know of an administration in our history of either political party cracking down on hiring illegals to the point of heavy fines and jail time for the companies that hire them, across the board at the highest levels or is it a slap on the wrist and go on with business elsewhere? This is what it is all about. Only dumbasses think preventing illegal immigration is about preventing illegals from voting.
I don't support either party...I'm a MAGA man...I'm America and Americans first....

I don't support either party...I'm a MAGA man...I'm America and Americans first....
Really? You support America for Americans first, last and always? Do you favor crippling fines and long jail time for use of illegals in the packing plants across the country at the highest business and corporate levels, no exceptions, no negotiations, no plea down deals? This is not to even talk about the agricultural industry. You would hear business owners and political contributors squealing like little girls with a bully shaking a frog in their face. That is what it would take to stem the flow of illegals. I don't blame them for coming for the opportunities of illegal immigration. I blame the ones that give them jobs, supervise them and work right beside them without blowing the whistle and the prosecutors that know what side their bread is buttered on, and the politicians that exert influence to make the illegal labor problems go away. The whole game is rigged by both political parties. Everybody knows, but nobody knows because they don't want to know, because it is all a lie foisted on the American public by both sides of the political divide. But, no, no, no! It is about illegals voting with the other party. Bullshit. They don't get to register in my state. Do they in yours, Mr. Magga? They work for people. They live down the street and mostly go to work every day, mostly keeping their head down and doing a good job, as not to attract attention, get in trouble or get deported, possibly with the other 10 that live in the house. Bar tenders and Qmart check out girls can spot a phony ID to keep liquor and beer licenses, but innocent reasonably well paid HR people are just easily and innocently fooled? Bullshit.

White 6 so I take it by your laugh that you are not America First and Americans first?...why?....
I'm the real deal, born and bred American. I just know populist bullshit when I hear it. Remember, Mr. Magga, Trump had illegals working for him for years, including personal housekeepers in homes he lived in. I know illegal immigration is supported by both the major parties in this country and why, and it sure isn't about illegals influencing the vote. The why being economics.

I'm the real deal, born and bred American. I just know populist bullshit when I hear it. Remember, Mr. Magga, Trump had illegals working for him for years, including personal housekeepers in homes he lived in. I know illegal immigration is supported by both the major parties in this country and why, and it sure isn't about illegals influencing the vote. The why being economics.
There are jobs they will do. The argument is how many we let into the nation. for there are many getting benefits provided by government living here. I lost interest in the blue cities. However, the endless diatribe that spills over in any way of communication and the resettling of illegals in a cowardly way into red areas is a disgrace. Estimates of up to30 million illegals over the years and then the legitimate adds more is our death knell.

Quisling was a born and bred Norwegian till he sold out to the germans

the Apache scouts who were crucial in hunting down Geronimo were born and bred Native Americans too

libs who support joe biden cant hide behind that old fig leaf here

Illegal labor keeps wages low.

Period

End of Story

Fix that problem or KISS MY ASS

Well, there is always The Army. The pay isn't anything to write home about in the beginning and yes, the Generals make a lot more. But, the training is interesting, sometimes you get to travel and sometimes you get to blow crap up.

When I first joined the Navy in 1981, I got paid $233 every two weeks; less than $500 a month. Of course my housing and food was taken care of, but I had to thank God I didn't have a car payment and insurance. I'm pretty sure a girlfriend would've bankrupted me at the time. Contrast that to when I retired, when I was making closer to $3,500 a month. Still not a lot, but it was enough to live on, if not frugally with a wife and daughter.

The military's a good choice for those who want, but can't afford, to further their education. When looking to hire someone, many employers (myself among them) place a premium on military experience...

There are jobs they will do. The argument is how many we let into the nation. for there are many getting benefits provided by government living here. I lost interest in the blue cities. However, the endless diatribe that spills over in any way of communication and the resettling of illegals in a cowardly way into red areas is a disgrace. Estimates of up to30 million illegals over the years and then the legitimate adds more is our death knell.
You got to blame both sides, clean back to Ronald Reagan. Not a one has improved it, only slowing it for short period. Business leaders are getting contributors on the issue, on both sides of the political divide. They do not want to solve, as it is beneficial of the overall economy as well as business owners, and as a wedge issue to bilk money from campaign contributors. By in large, average Americans are too stupid to know they are being played by both sides, as each side plays to it's base pointing fingers.

Forum List

Back