Setting the record straight on the the Civil Rights Act

Any way you slice it, it was conservatives who opposed civil rights

They still do

Do you have proof?

Sure, here you go:

A greater percentage of Republicans, in both the House and Senate, voted for the Civil Rights Act, than the percentage of Democrats.

House Democrats: 152–96 (61%-39%)
House Republicans: 138–34 (80%–20%)

Senate Democrats: 46-21 (69%-31%)
Senate Republicans: 27-6 (82%-18%)

Even though Democrats were in the majority in both houses, they would not have been able to pass it at all, unless such large majorities of Republicans also voted to pass. Fortunately the Republicans came through and saved the bill from the defeat Democrats alone would have given it.

Democrats have always supported racism. From their founding of the KKK, to their current majority membership in it, to the majority support of racist legislation in Congress even today.

If I were a Democrat, I'd try to fake as many excuses for not associating racism with Democrats as I could, just as the leftists in this thread do. The truth is just too painful for Democrats... as usual.

Oh...... oops.

The Republican Party was never in favor of slavery and voted against democrat Jim. Crowe laws. As much as you'd like to prove we are racists, it isn't going to fly. It flies against historical fact. Truth is democrats were pro slavery and still work to keep blacks on the liberal plantation. Proof? Why are blacks worse off under the Obama admininstration. Remember, you guys had total control for two years. If that's not racism I don't know what is.

Once again, explain why all eleven Republicans from the South voted with all but one of the Southern Democrats against the Civil Right Act of 1964.

averageguy won't answer you, because he can't.

But will repeat his meme endlessly "The Republican Party was never......blah blah blah"

:cuckoo:

Any way you slice it, it was conservatives who opposed civil rights

They still do

Do you have proof?

Sure, here you go:

A greater percentage of Republicans, in both the House and Senate, voted for the Civil Rights Act, than the percentage of Democrats.

House Democrats: 152–96 (61%-39%)
House Republicans: 138–34 (80%–20%)

Senate Democrats: 46-21 (69%-31%)
Senate Republicans: 27-6 (82%-18%)

Even though Democrats were in the majority in both houses, they would not have been able to pass it at all, unless such large majorities of Republicans also voted to pass. Fortunately the Republicans came through and saved the bill from the defeat Democrats alone would have given it.

Democrats have always supported racism. From their founding of the KKK, to their current majority membership in it, to the majority support of racist legislation in Congress even today.

If I were a Democrat, I'd try to fake as many excuses for not associating racism with Democrats as I could, just as the leftists in this thread do. The truth is just too painful for Democrats... as usual.

Oh...... oops.

Almost all of the nays were from the Southern States regardless of party.

Bears (sic) repeating...

With a few exceptions - literally a handful -- in the last 80 years or so...

empty111_zpsdb1b73b2.jpg

Speaks volumes.

The conservatives cannot get past the voting break down by party and region in the 1964 CRA.

Every history teach in America points that out in high school and college.

Last edited:
[. ... Snip...
How many times have you had to post the above! They will never concede that they were and are on the wrong side of history. All one has to do is look up william f. buckley and white supremacy, as well as his CONSERVATIVE stance regarding Civil Rights.

The Southern Democrats who fought to keep the traditional conservative "value" of slavery and the conservative traditions of the Black Codes and Jim Crow, were definitely not in favor of Civil Rights and were in FACT conservatives.

The Republican Party was never in favor of slavery and voted against democrat Jim. Crowe laws. As much as you'd like to prove we are racists, it isn't going to fly. It flies against historical fact. Truth is democrats were pro slavery and still work to keep blacks on the liberal plantation. Proof? Why are blacks worse off under the Obama admininstration. Remember, you guys had total control for two years. If that's not racism I don't know what is.

It’s not ‘racism,’ therefore you indeed have no idea what it is.

And you’re another blind partisan hack who also doesn’t get it.

The issue has nothing to do with the GOP during the age of slavery and Jim Crow.

The issue concerns the fact that during the late 1960s and early 1970s the GOP willingly took in racist refugees from the Democratic Party in the South and harbored that racism and propensity to discriminate to this day.

why do blacks vote for democrats? Mlk, jfk, and lbj

presidential vote and party identification of african americans, 1956-1964
black-party-identification-vote-1956-1964-v3.gif

as you can see, over the course of just eight years, african american support for the republican party practically evaporated.

... Snip...
why do blacks vote for democrats? Mlk, jfk, and lbj
all that chart proves is that democrats know how to keep blacks down on the plantation just like their slave owning forefathers did. The net result is that blacks are no less slaves than they were.

that chart proves that blacks overwhelmingly have a righteous fear of reactionary conservatives.
lol. Oh, by the way, I hear that you claim to be a conservative republican. Do you have proof?

Last edited:

Once again, explain why all eleven Republicans from the South voted with all but one of the Southern Democrats against the Civil Right Act of 1964.

averageguy won't answer you, because he can't.
. He's got his answer numerous times.

The Dixiecrats who were mad about the CRA left the Democratic Party, and became members of the GOP. Southern white conservatives, who are still seething about the CRA, are Republicans now. If the CRA were up for a vote today, the GOP would overwhelmingly oppose it.

Save one, the Dixiecrat's remained Democrats to the day they died. That is a fact.

Prove it. Be specific. Give us the numbers.
Dare to watch this? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdJsPsU55PM

The conservatives cannot get past the voting break down by party and region in the 1964 CRA.

Conservative and liberal are not political parties. Democrat and Republican are. You can't get around the fact that Democrats are the racist party.

Last edited:
As TheBlaze reports, when it came time to pass the Civil Rights Act, six Senate Republicans voted against the bill, while 21 Senate Democrats opposed it. It ultimately passed by an overall vote of 73-27. In the House, 96 Democrats and 34 Republicans voted against the Civil Rights Act, and it passed with an overall 290-130 vote. While the majority of Democrats in both chambers voted for the legislation, the bulk of the opposition came from Democrats.

The Republicans who opposed the law did so primarily because of “discomfort about forcing private business to comply with public accommodation laws.” The majority of those Republicans actually supported the 1957 and 1960 bills signed by President Dwight Eisenhower.
[/url]

If you look at the results of that vote the VAST majority of votes against the bill came from the classic confederate states. Which are currently solidly republican. I'd blame the people instead of the parties in those states.

When it was Ike's Bill, LBJ called it "the ****** Bill"

Democrats including Al Gore Sr were vehemently opposed to it
As was Goldwater.

[. ... Snip...
How many times have you had to post the above! They will never concede that they were and are on the wrong side of history. All one has to do is look up william f. buckley and white supremacy, as well as his CONSERVATIVE stance regarding Civil Rights.

The Southern Democrats who fought to keep the traditional conservative "value" of slavery and the conservative traditions of the Black Codes and Jim Crow, were definitely not in favor of Civil Rights and were in FACT conservatives.

The issue has nothing to do with the GOP during the age of slavery and Jim Crow.

The issue concerns the fact that during the late 1960s and early 1970s the GOP willingly took in racist refugees from the Democratic Party in the South and harbored that racism and propensity to discriminate to this day.
Nonsense. The South has a better record of integration than the north.

In the name of USMB conservatives, I declare victory in this thread. Nothin more to be said. Democrats was the party of racists and slavery and they still are with their confiscation of incomes. Republican s the party of freedom and prosperity for all - even liberals.

Last edited:

Nonsense. The South has a better record of integration than the north.
How do you figure that?

Conservative and liberal are not political parties. Democrat and Republican are. You can't get around the fact that Democrats are the racist party.

We are talking about the last fifty years, and the facts do not support you, avgguyIA, and that is why the millenials will not support your nonsense.

see what I mean?

Hey Duncecake -- what party did Wallace run as in the map I provided?

Bonus: What ideology was Wallace aligned with?

Wallace was a Democrat, his ideology was steeped in the racism of the Deep Democrat South.

George Corley Wallace Jr. (August 25, 1919 – September 13, 1998) was an American politician and the 45th governor of Alabama, having served two nonconsecutive terms and two consecutive terms as a Democrat: 1963–1967, 1971–1979 and 1983–1987.

You saw the dates, right?
You didn't asnwer my questions Duncecake --

What party did Wallace run as in the map I provided?

Bonus: What ideology was Wallace aligned with?

He ran as independent. He was Democrat before and Democrat after

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Forum List

Back