SHOCKING: Jury recommends Life in prison for Parkland Shooter Nikolas Cruz

Florida is a death penalty state. Bundy was executed in the hot seat and so was America's first female serial killer Iileen Wuornos (by lethal injection) who (only) killed 7 men. I guess the kid was lucky to find a sniveling pack of 12 jurors. I wonder if the judge can override the jury's recommendation.

the jury's recommendation is just that, a recommendation. The judge ultimately makes the decision on the punishment.

Killing that many children he will end up executed in prison by another prisoner quicker than Daumer was. It will cost the tax payers much less.

IF it works out that way. In most cases, it doesn't. I discussed that with somebody that spent several years in prison. He said nobody would go out of their way to get at them, but as long as they didn't cross paths, they were pretty much left alone.

IF it works out that way. In most cases, it doesn't. I discussed that with somebody that spent several years in prison. He said nobody would go out of their way to get at them, but as long as they didn't cross paths, they were pretty much left alone.
Lol, I bet they were not in there for killing children. They will go after child killers and child molesters. There was a fella in jail a few years back in Newark, Ohio. He molested and killed a young girl. He did not even make it out of county jail. As far as I know no one was ever charged with killing the idiot. The guards pretty well turned a blind eye.

Lol, I bet they were not in there for killing children. They will go after child killers and child molesters. There was a fella in jail a few years back in Newark, Ohio. He molested and killed a young girl. He did not even make it out of county jail. As far as I know no one was ever charged with killing the idiot. The guards pretty well turned a blind eye.

No, of course not killing, but the child molesters. A late friend of mine was a corrections officers in the Lorain county institute on route 83. She wasn't in the hard core jail but she spent enough years working there to know the system in the other buildings. She told me they kept all the child molesters together and somewhat segregated from the rest of the population so they didn't have many incidents. The violence they did have was among each other when it happened.

i do hope you are correct that somebody takes him out if this judge doesn't do the right thing by sentencing him to death.

To satiate your blood lust?
Yep. And why not? 17 DEAD and he walks because he was what? If "nuts" he should have been sent to a Psyche Ward for life!!

But yes; I am against the Death penalty in principle but if anyone deserves it then HE does!!! I will never mourn such as he who are executed but I will disagree that execution is a valid response in this day and age in the US.

Greg

Even if he did the the death penalty, how long would it take to carry it out: 10 years, 12 years, 15 years??????

Our death penalty is not a deterrent because of all the delays. The death penalty (especially in cases like this) should be expedited so that all appeals are exhausted in 6 months and the penalty be carried out before people forget what he's even getting executed for.
Thanks for that and I agree; it is inhumane to keep even those guilty scum knowing their death will occur by execution. However, on average 50% of all Juries are Democrats; that finally convinced me that executions are not ALWAYS deserving. I err on the side of "better the guilty go free than ONE innocent" etc...you know the thing.

Greg

By the way, do not believe for one solitary minute that "life without parole" is any guarantee whatsoever that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison.
That thought hit me too DD. That will sadly require the families of the deceased children to show up for the parole board every time to petition against it. Tragic loss of so many kids is unfathomable.

To make matters worse with life sentences we have these different legal statutes like “life and a day” I never understood why the courts had to start that crap instead of a life sentence with ZERO chance for parole. With the mental health factor is he going to prison? This seems to go against the defense’s mental health legitimacy if they’re sending him to prison anyway instead of a place for mental illness.

That thought hit me too DD. That will sadly require the families of the deceased children to show up for the parole board every time to petition against it. Tragic loss of so many kids is unfathomable.

To make matters worse with life sentences we have these different legal statutes like “life and a day” I never understood why the courts had to start that crap instead of a life sentence with ZERO chance for parole. With the mental health factor is he going to prison? This seems to go against the defense’s mental health legitimacy if they’re sending him to prison anyway instead of a place for mental illness.

Life without parole is a sentence.

life without possibility of parole

That is what he was sentenced to.

Non-Unanimous Florida Jury Sentences Nikolas Cruz to Life Without Parole for Parkland School Shootings

Yes I understand, but I’ve watched several documentaries about convicted felons who were given life sentences but due to good behavior and presenting themselves respectably to the parole board received an early release. In part, was this not why courts added “life and a day” because a life sentence wasn’t keeping them in prison for life? Tx for links.

Yes I understand, but I’ve watched several documentaries about convicted felons who were given life sentences but due to good behavior and presenting themselves respectably to the parole board received an early release.

You can't be released by the parole board if you are not eligible for parole.

If given life with the possibility of parole, you can.

In part, was this not why courts added “life and a day” because a life sentence wasn’t keeping them in prison for life? Tx for links.

I've never seen "life and a day".

You can't be released by the parole board if you are not eligible for parole.

If given life with the possibility of parole, you can.

I've never seen "life and a day".
Is the following misinformation?
“A life sentence is one of the forms of capital punishment in the United States. It means the person is going to stay in prison for the rest of his life. Normally the term of a life sentence is 15 years, but it depends on a lot of factors.”

“Now you may be wondering if the sentence is for just 15 years, then why is it called a life sentence? This is because the convicted person is allowed to live the rest of their lives on parole. Parole is granted to prisoners who show good behavior during their time in prison. “

Is the following misinformation?
“A life sentence is one of the forms of capital punishment in the United States. It means the person is going to stay in prison for the rest of his life. Normally the term of a life sentence is 15 years, but it depends on a lot of factors.”

“Now you may be wondering if the sentence is for just 15 years, then why is it called a life sentence? This is because the convicted person is allowed to live the rest of their lives on parole. Parole is granted to prisoners who show good behavior during their time in prison. “

Yes, I would say it is misinformation.

Yes, I would say it is misinformation.
I just checked another source and there are states that a life sentence can even be less than 10 years.
The following link details a state by state comparison showing vast differences of what a life sentence means.

“A capital offender in Florida is assigned a sentence of life with the possibility of parole after 25 years. However, Florida also has life without the possibility of parole.

Florida has used LWOP sentencing to replace capital punishment. As a result, it currently has the highest number of inmates serving life without parole, nearly a quarter of the total LWOP prison population nationwide.”

“Florida no longer has a traditional parole board. Instead, once a prisoner becomes eligible for parole, the Florida Commission on Offender Review (FCOR) decides on whether they will be released or not.”

Talk about shocking: “There are multiple states where a prisoner under certain circumstances can become eligible for parole after 2 years served of a life sentence. Often these variable life sentences are given for crimes that require additional rehabilitation or stricter parole.”

Florida has used LWOP sentencing to replace capital punishment. As a result, it currently has the highest number of inmates serving life without parole, nearly a quarter of the total LWOP prison population nationwide.”

Not to cut your reply but this is easiest. Florida has NOT used LWOP to replace capital punishment. If they had done that, it would not have been an option here.

I don't think I agree with the sentence this time

"If you live by the sword you die by the sword" that's Justice.

I just checked another source and there are states that a life sentence can even be less than 10 years.
The following link details a state by state comparison showing vast differences of what a life sentence means.

“A capital offender in Florida is assigned a sentence of life with the possibility of parole after 25 years. However, Florida also has life without the possibility of parole.

“Florida no longer has a traditional parole board. Instead, once a prisoner becomes eligible for parole, the Florida Commission on Offender Review (FCOR) decides on whether they will be released or not.”

Talk about shocking: “There are multiple states where a prisoner under certain circumstances can become eligible for parole after 2 years served of a life sentence. Often these variable life sentences are given for crimes that require additional rehabilitation or stricter parole.”

I don’t claim to know FL laws, but going by this source if 25% of a prison population is all under LWOP, that -without parole part- many of those prisoners would have been executed. So in that respect, the author’s claim seems valid.

In this horrendous case, the female juror held out stating she was a hard no for execution due to his mental illness. I’m surprised the other jury members didn’t stay stronger against her and hold out for days longer, but who knows what the dynamics were in total.

He should be summarily executed, no appeals. We know for a fact that he did it.

Thanks for that and I agree; it is inhumane to keep even those guilty scum knowing their death will occur by execution. However, on average 50% of all Juries are Democrats; that finally convinced me that executions are not ALWAYS deserving. I err on the side of "better the guilty go free than ONE innocent" etc...you know the thing.

Greg

I agree and believe the death penalty should only be used when empirical evidence is presented such as caught in the action, video recording, a bullet matching the gun it was fired from and those types of things. Even in the OJ trial if he was found guilty, I would hesitate to approve of the death penalty even though his ex had no enemies and he was the only one in her circle that could have killed her.

Forum List

Back