Should businesses be required to treat everyone equally and impartially?

Should government force businesses to treat everyone equally and impartially?

• Total voters
And? You're gonna answer it then, right?

Are you ashamed of your position? Confused by the question? Just trolling for the halibut?

I did answer
Your premise s a sham

Twitter and Facebook treated Trump impartially
He was banned for repeated rules violations

Just like when USMB banned Trump

I did answer
Your premise s a sham

There is no "premise", just a question. Why is it so difficult for you to answer?

Twitter and Facebook treated Trump impartially
He was banned for repeated rules violations

Just like when USMB banned Trump

Uh, so what? Are you saying businesses should be required to treat everyone equally? Or not?

As long as they can abide by terms of service.
Sure, terms of service is a contractual agreement, and both parties they should be held to the agreement. But that's irrelevant to the general question.

I guess I'll take your answer as a "yes"?

Sure, terms of service is a contractual agreement, and both parties they should be held to the agreement. But that's irrelevant to the general question.

I guess I'll take your answer as a "yes"?

Trump persists with lies, attacks and conspiracy theories.. Why are we discussing this hypothetical?

The bum should develop his own twitter.

Nothing is ever completely equal or fair. That's no reason not to try to treat others as we would like to be treated. It seems crazy that we have had to make laws because we are unable to even envision the concept.

At my own busness I treat Karens like Karens, dickheads like dickheads, and nice folks like nice folks, so I'd have to say no..

i think there should be one set of rules for me, and another set of rules for everyone else. and my set of rules should benefit me. me. me.

It seems crazy that we have had to make laws because we are unable to even envision the concept.
Do we have to make these laws? Should we make these laws? Should businesses be required to treat everyone equally?

We do require businesses to treat everyone equally and impartially. In fact there are probably shelves of laws pertaining to discrimination. The problem is that we have an administration that is able to ignore the law for political reasons and a media that goes along with it.

Because I'm interested in the claim as a general principle, not as an excuse for defending/attacking Trump.

The Golden Rule works for me.. Its just not that complicated. I have been treated fairly most all my life.. Not an issue.

Because I'm interested in the claim as a general principle, not as an excuse for defending/attacking Trump.
The general principle depends on the nature of the business, however.

The owner of a small retail business does not receive special protection from the governmnent. The Stalinists who control social media do.

The Golden Rule works for me.. Its just not that complicated. I have been treated fairly most all my life.. Not an issue.
The Golden Rule is a wonderful moral principle, one I try to follow myself. But we're talking about legislation and government.

Based on your previous post, I have you down for a "yes", unless you want to change your answer.

In another thread we were discussing what Trump and the Republicans are after with the lawsuit against Twitter, and their desire to "crack down" on social media.

bripat9643 offered the following:

I'm not calling out bri here, just wondering if that's a general consensus. Should we require businesses to treat everyone equally and impartially?
twitter isnt your everyday company,, they have taken over the town square and given special protections and not allowed some people to voice their opinions based on political ideology,,

The general principle depends on the nature of the business, however.

The owner of a small retail business does not receive special protection from the governmnent. The Stalinists who control social media do.

Interesting. So any business that receives "special protection from the government" should be forced to treat everyone equally?

That's gonna be a long list. In fact, I'd wager that most business enjoy some kind of "special protection from the government". You realize this is, essentially, the "you didn't build that" argument that Obama made, right?

twitter isnt your everyday company,, they have taken over the town square and given special protections and not allowed some people to voice their opinions based on political ideology,,
ahh... the Town Square™! You dare to do business in public and government owns your ass! Love it.

We do require businesses to treat everyone equally and impartially. In fact there are probably shelves of laws pertaining to discrimination. The problem is that we have an administration that is able to ignore the law for political reasons and a media that goes along with it.
Those laws don't apply to everyone, nor do they ban all discrimination. Just stuff covered by the "protected classes". So, no, we don't require businesses to treat everyone equally and impartially. Yet. Do you think we should?

Forum List

Back