Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed To Purchase Ammunition?...

Should Convicted Felons Be allowed To Purchase Ammunition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
A complicated and interesting question posed to me the other day. What do you think?

Why not?
They can purchase knives, hatchets, axes and ball bats - all of which are far deadlier weapons than ammunition.
:dunno:

Convicted Felons cannot own guns so they should not be allowed to buy ammo.

I disagree that people that have served their time should lose the right to firearms, however that is the law and as such ammo should be included. They are not allowed to own firearms they have no legal reason to buy ammo.

Depends on the nature of the felony. If the crime wasn't violent, I might be persuaded to allow an exception.

This is a VERY slippery slope.

If convicted felons were banned from buying ammo, this would mean that BACKGROUND CHECKS would be necessary for EVERYBODY ELSE who wants to buy ammo.

How else would a seller determine if an ammo buyer is, or is not, a convicted felon?

Depends on the nature of the felony. If the crime wasn't violent, I might be persuaded to allow an exception.
i agree . someone who commits a violent crime should not be allowed to purchase a fire arm .

A complicated and interesting question posed to me the other day. What do you think?
I think it should depend on review of the individual, the type of felony he or she committed, and such peripheral circumstances as present social status and the reason for owning firearms. Some people make mistakes, pay the piper, and subsequently demonstrate willingness and intention to lead a law-abiding and productive life. Such individuals should not be made to permanently suffer from stigma associated with a regrettable mistake.

Last edited:

I disagree that people that have served their time should lose the right to firearms, however that is the law and as such ammo should be included. They are not allowed to own firearms they have no legal reason to buy ammo.

How would ammo sales to felons be prevented? Background checks for ammo? RFID all felons for easy tracking and identification? I think I'd prefer the status quo.

They are still Americans, so yes they can, and all other arms as well.

seriously

They know where to go and get anything they want anyhow, so why not collect the taxes?

I think it should depend on review of the individual, the type of felony he or she committed, and such peripheral circumstances as present social status and the reason for owning firearms. Some people make mistakes, pay the piper, and subsequently demonstrate willingness and intention to lead a law-abiding and productive life. Such individuals should not be made to permanently suffer from stigma associated with a regrettable mistake.

Who would do that review and based upon what information provided by whom?

They can easily get one of the street
Strawman purchases etc
I know some felons could have went for something weak or accidental blah blah blah
But are they going to do background checks on ammo now?
Fuck that. Plus it costs 10 bucks
Very good Thread topic!
Completely torn

Strawman purchases etc
I know some felons could have went for something weak or accidental blah blah blah
Very good Thread topic!
Completely torn

The only way it would work would be a voluntary national gun owners permit. You get a card with a number and your picture on it. If you have that, and they enter the # and it comes up clean, all the ammo you want. If you dont want that, then i guess you gotta go through a NICS background check every time you want to buy ammo.

That being said I am fine with the status quo of checks only for guns themselves.

Strawman purchases etc
Very good Thread topic!
Completely torn

The only way it would work would be a voluntary national gun owners permit. You get a card with a number and your picture on it. If you have that, and they enter the # and it comes up clean, all the ammo you want. If you dont want that, then i guess you gotta go through a NICS background check every time you want to buy ammo.

That being said I am fine with the status quo of checks only for guns themselves.

Thats a good one
Or just some kind of icon or somethign to let the seller know on their DL
Like my license.. Different background, and a little M by class(after I got my motorcycle license). So like Class: DMG?

I think if a person is not hurting anyone nor taking what doesn't belong to them, it shouldn't be anyone's business. Possessing ammunition hurts no one.

Why would they want to? They cannot legally possess a gun so what good is ammo?

Do you stay awake at night thinking up this stupid shit?

The only stupid shit here, is the shit being ejected from your dirty pie hole. So shut up and piss off. See ya.

Last edited:
Strawman purchases etc
Very good Thread topic!
Completely torn

Yeah, i'm torn too. Felons buying ammo is a real problem. It goes on everyday all across the country. But background checks on purchasing ammo would cause a lot of pain & suffering for law abiding Citizens. The costs would be enormous, as well as being very inconvenient. It is a complicated issue.

Forum List

Back