Should our laws allow authorities to charge this woman?

The report stated the thief had her purse. It's pretty common knowledge women keep their billfold w/ DL in their purses. It's not a stretch, but if you want to believe otherwise, go for it.

The dude didn't have a weapon, why would you assume he was a killer, hell, he ran like a scared rabbit.

I don't know if he had a weapon and you don't either.

He ran with her purse.

There was no mention of one in the story from the witnesses or the woman.

Correct. OTOH, "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence" and he still had her purse. It's not simply a matter of her rent money was in there, but nowadays with ID theft and emboldened criminals who conduct home invasions, the loss of her purse could be a dangerous thing for her.

Let's not forget she braked before hitting him. If she really wanted to run him down like a rabid dog, she could easily have done so. Instead, she just bumped him to stop him...or possibly just to get him to drop the purse. For the fourth time, let the court figure out what's what, but in the heat of the moment, I don't fault her for her actions.

I think you should watch the again. And the court will figure it out, I'm sure they'll plea her down to simple assault with a small fine since she didn't seriously hurt the guy.

I watched it a few times. Videos are great evidence, but they don't tell the whole story. There were plenty of witnesses around plus the police and EMT report. I'm sure the court will figure it out.

On a slightly different topic, who do you think will continue to have run ins with the law; the pregnant mother or the thief?

Revenge isn't legal. She seems to be outraged that he broke the law but she wants no consequences when she broke the law.

She attempted to kill him and I would guess she'll get 3-5 years in prison minimum or more. It's the same if she had a gun in her purse and chased the guy down and shot him in the back. Angry revenge is not legal. If he attacks her and she pulls out a gun and kills him, self defense and case closed. If she pulls out the gun and he immediately runs and she chases him and shoots him in the back, attempted murder and if he dies 2nd degree murder.

People get this weird idea that if they are wronged and angry about it they have cart blanche to then do whatever they like.

Don't like the law, change it.

Want to place a bet on that?

No jury will convict her!

Emotion. Cons run on emotion and that doesn't win out in court. And it shouldn't.

How exactly do people say 'it's a country of laws' yet at any moment they willie nillie toss out the law. It isn't even close, she attempted to murder another human being. It's so tiring to see people just run on how they feel about something. Measured reason is what court is about.

Emotion. Cons run on emotion and that doesn't win out in court..
Partisans, both Left and Right, run on emotion just as you are exemplifying with the pejorative "Cons".

FWIW, asking to place a bet (i.e. put your money where your mouth is) or voice an opinion that a jury won't convict isn't purely emotion. It's simply an opinion.

You can't use deadly force to protect property . Only people .

Wrong answer, in TX you can shoot someone in the back, at night, if they are running away with your property. I don't think you can run them down with a truck though. From what I saw he didn't have any of her property and it was daylight.

Yes, but she didn't know what property of hers he might still have. Exigent circumstances would cover her decision on that matter IMO.

It wasn't night and she didn't have time to check if he actually got something. And it wasn't TX.

Can you imagine if it were? Oh man all the Clara Harris jokes would be awesome.

N/A

You can't use deadly force to protect property . Only people .

You are correct.

I have a Juris Doctorate, so let me explain to the rest of you how the law works. In all jurisdictions the use of deadly force is allowed only when – at the time such force is used – a person reasonably believes it is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to himself (or an innocent third party). When a suspect is running away he obviously does not pose a such a threat. Even the police have no right to use deadly force to prevent the escape of most suspects including those who have broken into automobiles. The police can use deadly force only to prevent the escape of a dangerous felon. The law defines a dangerous felon as someone who has inflicted or threatened to inflict death or serious bodily injury. Breaking into a person's automobile does not make a suspect a dangerous felon.

The leading case regarding when the police may use deadly force to prevent the escape of a suspect is Tennessee v. Garner. In this case the United States Supreme Court (SCOTUS) reviewed a Tennessee law which allowed the police to use deadly force to prevent the escape of non-dangerous suspects The particular case involved a man who was suspected of burglarizing a home. The following are the relevant portions of the SCOTUS decision:

“The Tennessee statute is unconstitutional insofar as it authorizes the use of deadly force against, as in this case, an apparently unarmed, nondangerous fleeing suspect; such force may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.”

“While burglary is a serious crime, the officer in this case could not reasonably have believed that the suspect - young, slight, and unarmed - posed any threat. Nor does the fact that an unarmed suspect has broken into a dwelling at night automatically mean he is dangerous.”.

“The use of deadly force to prevent the escape of all felony suspects, whatever the circumstances, is constitutionally unreasonable. It is not better that all felony suspects die than that they escape. Where the suspect poses no immediate threat to the officer and no threat to others, the harm resulting from failing to apprehend him does not justify the use of deadly force to do so. It is no doubt unfortunate when a suspect who is in sight escapes, but the fact that the police arrive a little late or are a little slower afoot does not always justify killing the suspect. A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead. The Tennessee statute is unconstitutional insofar as it authorizes the use of deadly force against such fleeing suspects.”

FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.

Conclusion: the lady broke the law. Her only hope is for a sympathetic jury. This is not debatable.
How dare you introduce facts into an emotional debate.

She was wrong but I'd be sympathetic. If I was on the jury I'd push for the minimum. I believe laws are far too easy on criminals, I'm not for sawing hands off but taking property from people should be afar worse crime than it is. If they have no assets to reimburse then it's hard labor.

How do you consider his post FACTS. The gal wasn't a LEO.

The dude didn't have a weapon, why would you assume he was a killer, hell, he ran like a scared rabbit.

He ran with the woman's purse—with her identification papers, her credit cards, and who knows what else. At that point, if he didn't want to be run over, he should have given them back.

If the things in her purse was that important she shouldn't have left in in a unattended vehicle.

More than that, people are so willing to kill over property these days. Somebody steaks a tv or a car and the reaction is to kill. When did things become more valuable than lives?

Things can be tied to survivability.

It used to be a hanging offense to steal a horse. Why? Because depriving a man of his horse might mean depriving him of his ability to survive. It might deprive him of his ability to make an a living, or even leave him stranded in a bad place where he might die if he can't get home.

A TV is one thing. If someone steals your TV, and you have to do without, that's survivable. If someone steals your car, your identification papers, your financial instruments, your work tools, or other things that you need just to go about the business of surviving, then that's a direct threat to your safety and well-being, and plenty of justification for the use of any amount of force, up to and including deadly force, for the one who was thus robbed to try to recover that property or to prevent it from being stolen in the first place.

Not one of those things is worth more than human life . The same people who say a thief should be killed for the crime will tell you they are both "christian" and "pro-life". They are neither.

Survivability. Works both ways.

What Timmy said is true. RWs would love sharia law. They'd love chopping off the hands of a woman for stealing bread for her kids.

Desperate people do desperate things.

There is no THING that is worth more that a human life.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Did the OP just say we need to rewrite our laws to say that running people over should be legal?

indeed

why not

In North Dakota, it could become legal to hit a protester with your car

Let's think about this briefly. A law is created that you can run people over with your car.

What do you think will happen next? More or less people being run over with fancy excuses?

more protesters will get the fuck out of the road

if a few become panny cakes

--LOL

problem solved

More people in general will be ran over and called protestors or bad people. And since they'll be dead, just call them "protesters" or even "bad people" and its cool? As long as you're physically able to call them a name?

Sounds good

ClosedCaption

Ya wanna bet jon_berzerk doesn't mean the Bundy bunch protesting in Oregon? They were stealing public and private property but the RWNJs loved it.

They're always ready and willing to throw out the constitution when it's a cause with which don't agree.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Emotion. Cons run on emotion and that doesn't win out in court. And it shouldn't.

I didn't know that. So what you are trying to tell us is that the past two riots we had were Republicans rioting when the white officers were found not guilty in the death of black suspects?

Last edited:
give her the key to the city, same goes for joe horn

There is not a lib here that knows who Joe is. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
ok...short version...he is a houston man who shot two illegalls to death wehn he caught them robbing his neighbors house

And the best part is it was all recorded at the police station because he stayed on the phone with dispatch through the entire thing.

give her the key to the city, same goes for joe horn

There is not a lib here that knows who Joe is. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
ok...short version...he is a houston man who shot two illegalls to death wehn he caught them robbing his neighbors house

And the best part is it was all recorded at the police station because he stayed on the phone with dispatch through the entire thing.
I laughed my ass off when the operater was like, "dont go outside, you'll be killed", then he chambered a round and was like "wanna bet?"

. Now, say the little tweaker had pulled that stunt in Saudi or UAE. Do you really think he would have gotten off so easy? Your comment was dumb. You decied [sic] to break the law you face the consequences.

Don't they amputate the hands of thieves in those places?

Yes they do, and they have little or no theft in those places as well.

Forum List

Back