Should SCOTUS be increased to 13?

Whatever number the Congress wants is fine if the President is willing to sign it.

We need to "emeritus" senior age justices out at 79.5 years.

View attachment 911021

I think so! After all, there are 13 circuits now. What do you think?
It makes sense having each justice serve a single district
but if I could have my way...
At the beginning of each president's term the 3 most senior justices would move to an "emeritus" status. Available for hearings and advising but not part of the voting 13.
The President, acting on the recommendation of a non-partisan advisory board nominates 3 justices from a list provided by the board.
The President could renominate any justice in emeritus status.

The larger numbers would water down the impact of any group and replacing 3 Justice would keep the court more in tune with the electorate.

Justices are chosen by a president.

Presidents are elected through FPTP, which is exacerbated by Congress being chosen by FPTP which leads to a partisan two party system.

This means that Presidents are often quite partisan, Clinton was probably the least partisan in the last 50 years, and they impeached him.

This means a Supreme Court justice in order to get noticed, has to be kind of partisan too. This then pushes the whole judicial system towards partisan politics.

Also, it's all about games. Look at all the justices there.

Trump in 4 years got three justice picks.
Obama in 8 years got two justice picks.
Bush in 8 years got two justice picks.

Of these Trump and Bush's first election, neither got the popular vote.

So, only one right wing Justice was put in place by a President who became president with the popular vote, Thomas, and he's corrupt.

It doesn't represent the US. It represents THE SYSTEM and the system is broken beyond belief.

I think it should change too, but I think if you have aspirations for the Supreme Court, you should keep your politics a secret. Justices are chosen precisely for their political leanings, rather than their adherence to the law. It’s why we fight over nominations every time one comes up.

Sounds like the brilliance of "Checks and Balances" to me. The SCOTUS and a slim majority in the House is America's only defense against your Democrat Regime.

That's not "checks and balances", is it?

That's giving more power to one side than to the other.

It doesn't work.

Where's the checks and balances against "your Republican Regime" (if you want to use childish language instead of having an adult conversation)

I'm not a Democrat, by the way.

I think it should change too, but I think if you have aspirations for the Supreme Court, you should keep your politics a secret. Justices are chosen precisely for their political leanings, rather than their adherence to the law. It’s why we fight over nominations every time one comes up.

I think that justices shouldn't be involved in politics at all, federal judges too.

Until the electoral system changes, nothing will change.

The Republicans have no reason to change a system they benefit from massively. So, it'll never change.

Both parties are more interested in milking the cow than actually having a country that works.

Much harder to do...

Increasing to 13 would help initially.

Ah yes, the US political system where anything beyond insulting someone else or shouting loudly is considered too difficult for them to implement.

You'd think on the money they're on, they'd be people with brains who study how to improve things.

The oversight is awful (that'd be the voters)

Forum List

Back