Should Someone Receiving Welfare Be Drug Tested?

So someone tests positive and their kids suffer. More.

Yeah, maybe not. This is a cultural issue, simplistic band-aids aren't enough.
I guess the kids are not suffering enough by having to live with a drug addict who spends all the money we give to them on drugs, while the kids go hungry, and do without the basics of life.

Perhaps we should actually make it better for the kids, by making adoption more attractive in this country, for this countries own children. Then if drug addicted parents didn't want to get off the drugs, we could take the children and give them to people who actually wanted them. Instead of parents who deserve to be put down like a rabid dog.
Yeah, there's the problem. Without going into detail, I can tell you that I have some personal experience with this. A drug-addled parent doesn't want to lose the child and convinces themselves that the child is better off with them, even though - well, you know. So the child is stuck there, and quite possibly really doesn't know any better.

At least if the parent is completely taken away (jail, rehab, whatever) the child can go to a foster home and/or get adopted. Otherwise the child may be stuck with no way out.

Let's drug test everyone who gets child tax credits, or the mortgage interest deduction while we're at it.

Apples and Oranges

Do you have data showing that these are handouts like welfare is?

-Geaux

Of course they're handouts. They give money to some at the expense of others.

Why should someone with kids and a mortgage get to pay substantially less than I do in income taxes?
Wow, what an idiot you are.

Homeowners pay for damn near everything in this country. Through property taxes, you moron. Thank God you are in New York, please stay there.

What's the federal property tax rate?

Let's drug test everyone who gets child tax credits, or the mortgage interest deduction while we're at it.

Apples and Oranges

Do you have data showing that these are handouts like welfare is?

-Geaux

Of course they're handouts. They give money to some at the expense of others.

Why should someone with kids and a mortgage get to pay substantially less than I do in income taxes?
Wow, what an idiot you are.

Homeowners pay for damn near everything in this country. Through property taxes, you moron. Thank God you are in New York, please stay there.

What's the federal property tax rate?

I pay 1%

-Geaux

If the crack dealer is getting the money, the kids AREN'T...

Isn't it better to make sure the money goes to the kids instead of the dealers???
How would that happen, logistically?
If we can keep the parents off drugs, the money is there to be spent on the kids.

Then test every government worker in the country AND test every private sector worker or business owner who gets any taxpayer funded benefit whatsoever.

Isn't it better to make sure the money goes to the kids instead of the dealers???
If we can keep the parents off drugs, the money is there to be spent on the kids.
But what about in the meantime? Cut off the dollars and kids suffer (even more than they already are) until Mom and/or Dad get their shit together? If they ever do? I can't do that to a kid, let alone the hundreds of thousands or millions who would suffer here.

I think we have the same goal here, but I suspect it's going to take heavier lifting. This is a cultural problem, in addition to being a legal problem and a fiscal issue.

Putting the kids in foster care where they can be looked after until the parents get their act together might be an option...

Then mandate rehab for the parents (along with a period of drug testing after rehab to make sure they stay clean), before taking another look at custody and any future benefits...

Screw up again, say goodbye to benefits, declare the adults unfit parents, and make other arrangements for the kids...

We need to look out for the kids, not just ignore the problem and subsidize drug dealers.

Then test every government worker in the country AND test every private sector worker or business owner who gets any taxpayer benefit whatsoever.

No, because government workers are just that, they EARN a wage

Welfare is a handout

Big difference

Civil Service is not public welfare

-Geaux

Great you want to add another Trillion dollars in testing fees to the program.

wouldn't cost that much, if done my way it would save money, randomly test a specific class and age group, if positive, they are cut off of all benefits for a minimum of 18 months, up to 4 years if the drug tested for was more than marijuana. :up:

But what about in the meantime? Cut off the dollars and kids suffer (even more than they already are) until Mom and/or Dad get their shit together? If they ever do? I can't do that to a kid, let alone the hundreds of thousands or millions who would suffer here.

I think we have the same goal here, but I suspect it's going to take heavier lifting. This is a cultural problem, in addition to being a legal problem and a fiscal issue.

Putting the kids in foster care where they can be looked after until the parents get their act together might be an option...

Then mandate rehab for the parents (along with a period of drug testing after rehab to make sure they stay clean), before taking another look at custody and any future benefits...

Screw up again, say goodbye to benefits, declare the adults unfit parents, and make other arrangements for the kids...

We need to look out for the kids, not just ignore the problem and subsidize drug dealers.
Agreed. This answer is complicated, but I do think there are answers.

Funny; the people always lecturing on "fairness" see no problem with taxpayers supporting people on welfare who are doing drugs and endangering their own children.

idiots and hypocrites

Well, since they did not get the thrill of murdering them at birth, they let them die slowly in the home

-Geaux

Funny; the people always lecturing on "fairness" see no problem with taxpayers supporting people on welfare who are doing drugs and endangering their own children.

idiots and hypocrites
It is interesting....

And if you try to look at solutions that will look out for the children, while getting the parents off drugs and defunding the drug dealers, they scream bloody murder and want to go after the people paying the bills....
thinking-gif.gif

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..

Most people on food stamps work a full-time job. 2 jobs.

Fucking idiot.

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..

Most people on food stamps work a full-time job. 2 jobs.

Fucking idiot.

Link?

Yes.

Yes.

WOW. You're smart ! Scandinavia ?

Yes.

I agree. Anyone receiving an Ex-Im bank loan should be piss tested.

Anyone receiving a Wall Street bailout should be tested for cocaine. They should also have to serve at least 20 hours of community service at a soup kitchen every week.

Anyone who takes advantage of the mortgage interest deduction should also get piss tested. The government handouts given in the form of tax expenditures add up to TWICE the amount handed out for social welfare programs.

So I guess EVERYONE should be piss tested and have to do 20 hours of community service a week.

Yes.

Great you want to add another Trillion dollars in testing fees to the program.
Not to mention a gazillion public employees to oversee the community service.

And while we're at it, let's test them to make sure they haven't ingested anything other than rice, beans, and water.

No, because it cost more everywhere it is done, fails to produce benefits, and is another way for the psychotic right to demonize the poor.

Forum List

Back