Should Someone Receiving Welfare Be Drug Tested?

So for today, for the purpose of this discussion, SNAP or food stamps are not welfare. What is welfare?

Welfare has become a pejorative, and those who use the word in this manner seem not to know or understand the differences between AFDC - which no longer exists - and TANF, and General Assistance.

why dont you explain the differences for us dimwit? you didnt seem to say the differences matter above ^^^; just whined that the word has become a perjorative

Fuck off. You've already proved your ignorance, and it ain't willful.

spoken like a true left-wing coward who cant make his point when pressed!! ;)

AFDC went bye-bye when President Clinton signed Welfare Reform. TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) replaced it.

General Assistance was provided to those who had no dependents and needed shelter and food.

Eligibility workers verify recipients of TANF and GA to reduce fraud, and Social Workers monitored the recipients, making sure they follow the rules and provide referrals for counseling, child care and required work or training to secure work.

One result is there are no welfare queens.

DHS: Answers to Your Questions TANF - DHS 4047

California TANF Program | California Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families

TANF for families | How to Get Help

Three large states and their rules for "welfare", aka TANF

you finally post actual data and it disproves anything i said exactly how genius???

I disagree. Every state that has implemented it has come to the same conclusions. It isn't worth it.
$1.45 + shipping for a 5 panel test.
CLIA Waived 5 Panel Drug Test Kit | 5 panel At Home Drug Test Kits
The Sham Of Drug Testing For Benefits: Walker, Scott And Political Pandering

you've already been shown it is dirt-cheap; so you go to the copy and paste propaganda

how sad

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

oh please; your claims of not being cost effective only count the number of tested vs the number of people found to test positive. it doesnt count teh MASSIVE COSTS to the system, to society, to the families involved, of even one person on drugs with children in the household when everything turns to shit; as is ALWAYS the case eventually with people on drugs. So we can cut the rhetoric and stop pretending you have taken all factors into account when you havent

I do random drug testing in my company. It cost $235.47 per test from an independent lab. Specifies on the application and start at first day of employment.

The ignorance of conservatives concerning public assistance is exceeded only by their stupidity.

And the contempt most on the right have for the 4th Amendment comes as no surprise.
And the ignorance of the left in insisting that working Americans who do not do drugs finance the drug habits of lazy welfare receipients just blows me away...

If I can be required to take drug tests on my job in order to support them, there is nothing wrong with requiring welfare recipients to take one in in order to get a free ride.

The ignorance of conservatives concerning public assistance is exceeded only by their stupidity.

And the contempt most on the right have for the 4th Amendment comes as no surprise.
And the ignorance of the left in insisting that working Americans who do not do drugs finance the drug habits of lazy welfare receipients just blows me away...

If I can be required to take drug tests on my job in order to support them, there is nothing wrong with requiring welfare recipients to take one in in order to get a free ride.
Put it up for a vote and tell people how much it's gonna cost. It's a sure winner.

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

oh please; your claims of not being cost effective only count the number of tested vs the number of people found to test positive. it doesnt count teh MASSIVE COSTS to the system, to society, to the families involved, of even one person on drugs with children in the household when everything turns to shit; as is ALWAYS the case eventually with people on drugs. So we can cut the rhetoric and stop pretending you have taken all factors into account when you havent

I do random drug testing in my company. It cost $235.47 per test from an independent lab. Specifies on the application and start at first day of employment.
The initial screening can be done a lot cheaper, and a more advanced test done in the event of a positive result, but there are plenty of labs that can do the test for less than what you quoted, and the government should be able to get a discount based on volume (just like Medicaid never pays the going rate)...

Put it up for a vote and tell people how much it's gonna cost. It's a sure winner.
$1.50 - $3.50 per screening test on a random basis, then a more expensive test to throw the drug abusers that are caught off welfare???

They would love it, and the savings you would get by throwing a druggie off welfare would more than pay for the more advanced test

Let's drug test everyone who gets child tax credits, or the mortgage interest deduction while we're at it.

Apples and Oranges

Do you have data showing that these are handouts like welfare is?

-Geaux

Of course they're handouts. They give money to some at the expense of others.

Why should someone with kids and a mortgage get to pay substantially less than I do in income taxes?

because someone with kids & a mortgage contribute the overall betterment of society. It's not a handout, it's a reward for being industrious.....

$1.50 - $3.50 per screening test on a random basis, then a more expensive test to throw the drug abusers that are caught off welfare???

They would love it, and the savings you would get by throwing a druggie off welfare would more than pay for the more advanced test
I'm sure you have a link to a company doing a drug screen for three bucks. Not

I gave you links on where to buy the kits for the pre-screening for that price...

You need to learn to read.

I gave you links on where to buy the kits for the pre-screening for that price...

I don't see the link but kits' for pre-screeing isn't a drug test U should learn not to lie.

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..
Great you want to add another Trillion dollars in testing fees to the program.
Where did you arrive at this amount?

I don't see the link but kits' for pre-screeing isn't a drug test U should learn not to lie.
Again, read the thread, where I said that failing the pre-screening should lead to a regular, full-blown drug test.

Anyone who votes Democrat or Republican should be drug tested. Or maybe just put in a straightjacket. For their own protection, of course.

Welfare has become a pejorative, and those who use the word in this manner seem not to know or understand the differences between AFDC - which no longer exists - and TANF, and General Assistance.

why dont you explain the differences for us dimwit? you didnt seem to say the differences matter above ^^^; just whined that the word has become a perjorative

Fuck off. You've already proved your ignorance, and it ain't willful.

spoken like a true left-wing coward who cant make his point when pressed!! ;)

AFDC went bye-bye when President Clinton signed Welfare Reform. TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) replaced it.

General Assistance was provided to those who had no dependents and needed shelter and food.

Eligibility workers verify recipients of TANF and GA to reduce fraud, and Social Workers monitored the recipients, making sure they follow the rules and provide referrals for counseling, child care and required work or training to secure work.

One result is there are no welfare queens.

DHS: Answers to Your Questions TANF - DHS 4047

California TANF Program | California Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families

TANF for families | How to Get Help

Three large states and their rules for "welfare", aka TANF

you finally post actual data and it disproves anything i said exactly how genius???

I posted actual data to prove welfare, as implied by you, no longer existed. That you use the term welfare as a pejorative is easily inferred, that you and other callous conservatives consider anyone who needs aid is a bum.

TANF is TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE, not a lifetime entitlement and in the states I'm familiar with has requirements if not followed, aid will be terminated.

BTW, covert bigotry and covert racism is easy to discern.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back