Should Someone Receiving Welfare Be Drug Tested?

you've already been shown it is dirt-cheap; so you go to the copy and paste propaganda

how sad

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

oh please; your claims of not being cost effective only count the number of tested vs the number of people found to test positive. it doesnt count teh MASSIVE COSTS to the system, to society, to the families involved, of even one person on drugs with children in the household when everything turns to shit; as is ALWAYS the case eventually with people on drugs. So we can cut the rhetoric and stop pretending you have taken all factors into account when you havent

I do random drug testing in my company. It cost $235.47 per test from an independent lab. Specifies on the application and start at first day of employment.
The initial screening can be done a lot cheaper, and a more advanced test done in the event of a positive result, but there are plenty of labs that can do the test for less than what you quoted, and the government should be able to get a discount based on volume (just like Medicaid never pays the going rate)...
Maybe lower than $235.47 but not $3.50. The $235.47 is from Quest Lab which they do an intensive kind of blood test.

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..

Wouldn't it make more sense to require welfare recipients to spend their time furthering their education in some way rather than just doing community service and continuing to collect welfare? For many on welfare, there are just too many obstacles to getting off of it. For those who are not elderly or disabled in some way, the majority are single mothers who can't afford to work a minimum wage job because daycare costs would eat up almost everything they make. That is a huge problem for many single mothers who are on welfare.

you've already been shown it is dirt-cheap; so you go to the copy and paste propaganda

how sad

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

oh please; your claims of not being cost effective only count the number of tested vs the number of people found to test positive. it doesnt count teh MASSIVE COSTS to the system, to society, to the families involved, of even one person on drugs with children in the household when everything turns to shit; as is ALWAYS the case eventually with people on drugs. So we can cut the rhetoric and stop pretending you have taken all factors into account when you havent

I do random drug testing in my company. It cost $235.47 per test from an independent lab. Specifies on the application and start at first day of employment.
The initial screening can be done a lot cheaper, and a more advanced test done in the event of a positive result, but there are plenty of labs that can do the test for less than what you quoted, and the government should be able to get a discount based on volume (just like Medicaid never pays the going rate)...
Maybe lower than $235.47 but not $3.50. The $235.47 is from Quest Lab which they do an intensive kind of blood test.
The $3.50 is for the screening test, to see if a more expensive lab test is warranted.

If they pass the screening test fine, if they fail, move on to the more dependable lab test for verification, since it's admissible in court if challenged....

That way the government won't waste a lot of money on all the individuals that are clean.

You might initially miss a few people on the individual tests, but a series of random screening tests should pretty much catch them

The $3.50 is for the screening test, to see if a more expensive lab test is warranted.

If they pass the screening test fine, if they fail, move on to the more dependable lab test for verification, since it's admissible in court if challenged....

That way the government won't waste a lot of money on all the individuals that are clean.

You might initially miss a few people on the individual tests, but a series of random screening tests should pretty much catch them

You need a lab where to draw your blood, Phlebotomist who will draw your blood, send the blood to another lab ( via special courier same day delivery) for testing. So I'm not sure how you can do these test with less than $100.

You need a lab where to draw your blood, Phlebotomist who will draw your blood, send the blood to another lab ( via special courier same day delivery) for testing. So I'm not sure how you can do these test with less than $100.

Most of today's drug tests are urinalysis. You can get a 12 panel test kit for around six bucks, my husband's firm buys them through MedBroad and if an employee tests positive they are sent to a clinic for a followup test

You don't need all of that for the screening test to eliminate the ones that are clean...

And if they're not, the lab test will more than pay for itself with the savings in benefits that the druggies will lose

Most of today's drug tests are urinalysis. You can get a 12 panel test kit for around six bucks, my husband's firm buys them through MedBroad and if an employee tests positive they are sent to a clinic for a followup test
I found 12 panels for $3.55 online (if ordered in lots of 800 or more) and posted the link.

I found 12 panels for $3.55 online (if ordered in lots of 800 or more) and posted the link.

The firm would take forever to use 800 kits LOL I think hubby told me they do random tests on five employees a week.

The firm would take forever to use 800 kits LOL I think hubby told me they do random tests on five employees a week.
Then the price he's paying for that quantity sounds about right.

The only reason they test is due to insurance, to my knowledge nobody has ever failed a drop but it's a law firm so it isn't like a bunch of junkies work there

We do random drug test but not urinalysis test and we cannot arbitrary do any kind of drug test by ourselves. Not heard of an employer conduct each own drug testing by blood or urine. Because there is a state law that requires you to submit such procedures before you can do a drug test to an establishment. However if you own the company you can do whatever you want.

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..
Yes..If one has the money to abuse illegal drugs, they don't need to be living off the public dole

Yes.

Great you want to add another Trillion dollars in testing fees to the program.
THAT is your excuse?
Fine, let the testing come from the budget from which benefits are drawn...Case closed.

Should people receiving welfare benefits be tested for drug abuse?

Probably not.

Test Runs have turned up very little drug abuse at that level.

And, terminated benefits certainly have not been substantive enough to cover the cost of the testing.

Rather like spending a dollar to make a dime.

The only reason they test is due to insurance, to my knowledge nobody has ever failed a drop but it's a law firm so it isn't like a bunch of junkies work there
We started random drug test since 1998 so far we have total 6 employees terminated because of drugs. And a human resource director because of alcoholism.

What would be the point of drug testing for welfare recipients? To punish them for their reckless lifestyle that caused them to be on welfare? It's a slippery slope when the government monitors potential toxins in an innocent person's body in order to qualify for a program that was authorized by congress. Maybe it's a better idea for mandatory drug testing for the people who make the laws.

Let's drug test everyone who gets child tax credits, or the mortgage interest deduction while we're at it.

Apples and Oranges

Do you have data showing that these are handouts like welfare is?

-Geaux

Of course they're handouts. They give money to some at the expense of others.

Why should someone with kids and a mortgage get to pay substantially less than I do in income taxes?
How is a mortgage interest deduction taken "at the expense of others"?....Explain....In detail. Using your OWN words.
BTW, a tax deduction is not a positive return for the person receiving the deduction. It is merely a reduction in the amount paid to Uncle Sam.
BTW, many of those sucking off the taxpayer tit receive tax refund checks. Imagine that. People who pay no taxes getting tax refunds.

Forum List

Back