🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should Someone Receiving Welfare Be Drug Tested?

I believe they should have people that can, work through the govt. programs to learn a trade by OJT.........like they did in the 1930's..

Learn a trade and give back to the community by serving the community in some way. There's lots of good they can do for others. Community Service should be a requirement for receiving Entitlements.

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..

So, you have gathered evidence from the states that have implemented the program and measured it's cost effectiveness and success rate?
A lot of the success would be due to the deterrent value. A lot of people would think twice about using drugs if their benefits were at risk

I disagree. Every state that has implemented it has come to the same conclusions. It isn't worth it.
$1.45 + shipping for a 5 panel test.
CLIA Waived 5 Panel Drug Test Kit | 5 panel At Home Drug Test Kits
The Sham Of Drug Testing For Benefits: Walker, Scott And Political Pandering

Yes.

Moreover, I think anyone receiving welfare, with the exception of the old and infirmed and children should have to put in at least 20 hours of community service per week within their immediate area to help pay back the state and government for the privilege of receiving these benefits..

There needs to be an answer on how to prevent abuse of the system (which is rampant) - bitching about how expensive it would be to fix it is an ignorant cop out.
There is more abuse and fraud with welfare by companies and doctors than what individuals do.. Why not drug test doctors, nurses and any providers of welfare recipients?

you losers keep making these deflections because you just cant make a case why it isnt in the best interest of everybody involved to drug test those on welfare!1

it's just so sad!!

Yes.

There needs to be an answer on how to prevent abuse of the system (which is rampant) - bitching about how expensive it would be to fix it is an ignorant cop out.
There is more abuse and fraud with welfare by companies and doctors than what individuals do.. Why not drug test doctors, nurses and any providers of welfare recipients?

Honestly? I'm for whatever will "fix" the system.
This has been going on forever. Our church used to give food stamps out (not sure how that worked, but my Mom did it at church) and she would come home furious at giving food stamps to people driving up in Cadillacs with fur coats on ... this was in the 1970's.

Yes.

So, you have gathered evidence from the states that have implemented the program and measured it's cost effectiveness and success rate?
A lot of the success would be due to the deterrent value. A lot of people would think twice about using drugs if their benefits were at risk

I disagree. Every state that has implemented it has come to the same conclusions. It isn't worth it.

you've already been shown it is dirt-cheap; so you go to the copy and paste propaganda

how sad

how many of you losers on the Left actually spend time anywhere near a housing project where large numbers are on welfare??

if you think people with all that time on their hands arent doing drugs; doing and/or selling drugs you are simply deluding yourselves

but when i think about how you are the same idiots that call record welfare and food stamps "forward progress" i realize it shouldnt be surprising to find morons soooooo hopelessly in denial.

proportionate to their numbers in the population more Black and Hispanic are on welfare. White Progressives have already shown they dont give a shit about these folks when they ignore SIX THOUSAND MURDERED BLACK AMERICANS and rush on down to the "Black Lives Matter" demonstration/riot.
so why should White Progs give a shit if Black and Brown children grow up around drugs??

they are FAR TOO COWARDLY to confront minorities on any issue; far too desperate to pander.

you've already been shown it is dirt-cheap; so you go to the copy and paste propaganda

how sad

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

how sad

No. I'm showing you where it has been implemented and failed. Again. Is it cost effective and successful? It is not. Now, you can show me the drug tests from another site and that is awesome but that isn't how it works. So, we can cut the rhetoric and take a look at what actually happens versus what you want to happen.

oh please; your claims of not being cost effective only count the number of tested vs the number of people found to test positive. it doesnt count teh MASSIVE COSTS to the system, to society, to the families involved, of even one person on drugs with children in the household when everything turns to shit; as is ALWAYS the case eventually with people on drugs. So we can cut the rhetoric and stop pretending you have taken all factors into account when you havent

how sad

The price I put up is for lots of 800 and up, so with shipping, you're talking around $1.50 per test.

If it comes back positive ( very high likelihood of drug use), it can be verified by a lab test for as little as $28.00, but you would only have to use that if they fail the INITIAL test (or if there is evidence of cheating on the first test).

It's really cheap, so what's your objection (other than welfare receipient not being able to use their benefits to buy drugs and stay on the welfare rolls)???

how many of you losers on the Left actually spend time anywhere near a housing project where large numbers are on welfare??

if you think people with all that time on their hands arent doing drugs; doing and/or selling drugs you are simply deluding yourselves

but when i think about how you are the same idiots that call record welfare and food stamps "forward progress" i realize it shouldnt be surprising to find morons soooooo hopelessly in denial.

how sad

The price I put up is for lots of 800 and up, so with shipping, you're talking around $1.50 per test.

If it comes back positive ( very high likelihood of drug use), it can be verified by a lab test for as little as $28.00, but you would only have to use that if they fail the INITIAL test (or if there is evidence of cheating on the first test).

It's really cheap, so what's your objection (other than welfare receipient not being able to use their benefits to buy drugs and stay on the welfare rolls)???
That isn't how it has been implemented. Look at how it's been implemented. Secondly, there are false positives for prescribed medications. Thirdly, there has to be a special test to find other drugs.

Drug tests generally produce false-positive results in 5% to 10% of cases and false negatives in 10% to 15% of cases, new research shows.

Eating as little as a teaspoon of poppy seeds -- less than the amount on a poppy seed bagel -- can produce false-positive results on tests for opioid abuse, says Dwight Smith, MD, of the VA Medical Center in Black Hills, S.D.

The poppy seeds can lead to false-positive results for two or three days, he says, yet one recent study showed only about 50% of doctors were aware of the problem.

Knowing the tests' limitations is crucial given that about 150 million drug tests were conducted in the United States last year, he says.

"We drug test everyone, our students, our athletes," Smith says.

Also, many private and federal employers require regular testing, he says.

False-Positive Results in 5% to 10% of Cases
To get a better picture of the tests' flaws, Smith and colleagues at Boston Medical Center reviewed scientific articles on drug screening published between January 1980 and September 2009.

The results were presented at the American Psychiatric Association's annual meeting.

Cold medications, the antidepressant Wellbutrin, and tricyclic antidepressants can trigger false-positive results on tests for amphetamines, according to the review, and the antidepressant Zoloft and the painkiller Daypro can show up as a benzodiazepine problem.

The quinolone antibiotic drugs can trigger false positives for opioids, and the HIV medication Sustiva can show up as marijuana use, Smith says.

On the other hand, just being in the room with someone who is smoking marijuana is not going to trigger false positive results, no matter what your child claims, he says.

"Unless [they] were in the van with Cheech and Chong, that's not what happened," Smith says.

And "cocaine is cocaine -- you don't get many false positives or false negatives," says Petros Levounis, MD, director of the Addiction Institute of New York at St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospital in New York City.

Standard Drug Tests Sometimes Miss Oxycodone
Another problem is that most standard drug tests have a substantial false-negative rate for oxycodone (OxyContin, Percolone, Roxicodone) an opioid drug that's been associated with high levels of abuse. In some cases, a person could be taking oxycodone and the routine drug screen may miss it and report as negative. Oxycodone is also found in the medications Percocet, Roxicet, and Tylox.
Drug Tests Often Trigger False Positives

That isn't how it has been implemented. Look at how it's been implemented. Secondly, there are false positives for prescribed medications. Thirdly, there has to be a special test to find other drugs.

Drug tests generally produce false-positive results in 5% to 10% of cases and false negatives in 10% to 15% of cases, new research shows.

Eating as little as a teaspoon of poppy seeds -- less than the amount on a poppy seed bagel -- can produce false-positive results on tests for opioid abuse, says Dwight Smith, MD, of the VA Medical Center in Black Hills, S.D.

The poppy seeds can lead to false-positive results for two or three days, he says, yet one recent study showed only about 50% of doctors were aware of the problem.

Knowing the tests' limitations is crucial given that about 150 million drug tests were conducted in the United States last year, he says.

To get a better picture of the tests' flaws, Smith and colleagues at Boston Medical Center reviewed scientific articles on drug screening published between January 1980 and September 2009.

The results were presented at the American Psychiatric Association's annual meeting.

Cold medications, the antidepressant Wellbutrin, and tricyclic antidepressants can trigger false-positive results on tests for amphetamines, according to the review, and the antidepressant Zoloft and the painkiller Daypro can show up as a benzodiazepine problem.

The quinolone antibiotic drugs can trigger false positives for opioids, and the HIV medication Sustiva can show up as marijuana use, Smith says.

On the other hand, just being in the room with someone who is smoking marijuana is not going to trigger false positive results, no matter what your child claims, he says.

"Unless [they] were in the van with Cheech and Chong, that's not what happened," Smith says.

And "cocaine is cocaine -- you don't get many false positives or false negatives," says Petros Levounis, MD, director of the Addiction Institute of New York at St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospital in New York City.

Another problem is that most standard drug tests have a substantial false-negative rate for oxycodone (OxyContin, Percolone, Roxicodone) an opioid drug that's been associated with high levels of abuse. In some cases, a person could be taking oxycodone and the routine drug screen may miss it and report as negative. Oxycodone is also found in the medications Percocet, Roxicet, and Tylox.

To detect more drugs, you can use a 12 panel ($3.55 + shipping for lots of 800 or more)...
CLIA Waived 12 Panel Drug Test kits | 12 Urine Drug Screen

If they want to claim a false positive, they can go take another test.

Any tests they pass are paid for by the government, and any test that they fail is paid for by the lazy drug abuser that's supporting their habit on our dime.

Also, regarding false positives...

If you are on medications, you take them to the drug test and have them listed (and let the people giving the test insure that any prescription drugs are actually prescribed to you)....

That tends to dramatically lower the rate of false positives.

The ignorance of conservatives concerning public assistance is exceeded only by their stupidity.

And the contempt most on the right have for the 4th Amendment comes as no surprise.

you're great at showing what an angry, petty Black Progressive loser you are; not so great at backing up anything you say, or accuse others of, with facts

He said welfare...fucking idiot.
So for today, for the purpose of this discussion, SNAP or food stamps are not welfare. What is welfare?

Welfare has become a pejorative, and those who use the word in this manner seem not to know or understand the differences between AFDC - which no longer exists - and TANF, and General Assistance.

why dont you explain the differences for us dimwit? you didnt seem to say the differences matter above ^^^; just whined that the word has become a perjorative

Fuck off. You've already proved your ignorance, and it ain't willful.

spoken like a true left-wing coward who cant make his point when pressed!! ;)

AFDC went bye-bye when President Clinton signed Welfare Reform. TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) replaced it.

General Assistance was provided to those who had no dependents and needed shelter and food.

Eligibility workers verify recipients of TANF and GA to reduce fraud, and Social Workers monitored the recipients, making sure they follow the rules and provide referrals for counseling, child care and required work or training to secure work.

One result is there are no welfare queens.

DHS: Answers to Your Questions TANF - DHS 4047

California TANF Program | California Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families

TANF for families | How to Get Help

Three large states and their rules for "welfare", aka TANF

Forum List

Back