Should the poor be required to pay taxes to the IRS?

Without getting it all back via carve outs & loop holes? Should they pay their fair share?
EVERYONE should pay taxes, every single U.S. citizen, no exceptions. But, everyone should pay at the same tax rate. If the tax rate is 15% of income, then everyone should pay 15%.
If you think the working poor could afford that you are dreaming. States are already squeezing them for all they are worth.

Without getting it all back via carve outs & loop holes? Should they pay their fair share?
EVERYONE should pay taxes, every single U.S. citizen, no exceptions. But, everyone should pay at the same tax rate. If the tax rate is 15% of income, then everyone should pay 15%.
If you think the working poor could afford that you are dreaming. States are already squeezing them for all they are worth.
Do the poor use the fire department, police, streets, roads, bridges, highways, and interstates? Do the poor use libraries, schools, food stamps, and other government assistance programs? Do the poor ever visit state parks, museums, and other public places? Are the poor protected by our soldiers?

Last edited:
  • Banned
I had to replace my airconditoner at home. It was incredibly expensive. I guess i get a pass on my taxes since it fucked my budget up then huh?

If you think the working poor could afford that you are dreaming.

Of course they could afford it, especially if they are working, as you noted. Even if it's just $10 a month they're contributing something. Maybe they'll just have to get one less pack of cigs that month.

Do the poor use the fire department, police, streets, roads, bridges, highways, and interstates? Do the poor use libraries, schools, food stamps, and other government assistance programs? Do the poor every visit state parks, museums, and other public places? Are the poor protected by our soldiers?
They use all those things and fund them heavily through state income taxes, excise taxes, sin taxes, fuel taxes and fees. It seems the redder the state the more this burden is placed on working people. You people who bitch about progressive federal taxes never even acknowledge the regressive state and local tax burden.

They use all those things and fund them heavily through state income taxes, excise taxes, sin taxes, fuel taxes and fees. It seems the redder the state the more this burden is placed on working people. You people who bitch about progressive federal taxes never even acknowledge the regressive state and local tax burden.

I don't know where you're getting that idea from. I acknowledge those things all the time. The government at every level does way more than it ought to be doing. You're the one who insists they should be doing all these functions, thus, burdening the poor and middle class so what are you complaining about, hypocrite?

Do the poor use the fire department, police, streets, roads, bridges, highways, and interstates? Do the poor use libraries, schools, food stamps, and other government assistance programs? Do the poor every visit state parks, museums, and other public places? Are the poor protected by our soldiers?
Your local tax problems are YOURS. It is your responsibility to fix that. Federal taxes are all of our problems

FYI - I do NOT bitch about federal taxes. I bitch about how the federal government waste taxes and hand out money to foreign governments.

Everyone who works pays Federal taxes, no exceptions even for the poor.

But interesting how you attack the poor demanding that they pay their "fair share" while ignoring the wealthy who are paying far less than their "fair share".

That is false. Ever hear of the Earned Income Tax Credit? Millions of people get back more in their refund, sometimes substantially more, than they paid into the system every year.

But interesting how you attack the poor demanding that they pay their "fair share" while ignoring the wealthy who are paying far less than their "fair share".
What the rich pay is well documented. This thread isn'tabout the rich.
And yes the rest of us pay if we're working BUT as noted in the op MANY of us actually get it all back & sometimes more than we pay in.
How exactly is that "fair"?

I don't know where you're getting that idea from. I acknowledge those things all the time. The government at every level does way more than it ought to be doing. You're the one who insists they should be doing all these functions, thus, burdening the poor and middle class so what are you complaining about, hypocrite?
I'm not complaining about anything except the conservative urge to shift the tax burden onto the working class who has not experienced appreciable wage growth in living memory away from the rich who are accumulating wealth at record levels. A flat tax scheme could possibly work if all income levels experienced the same rate of income growth but as it is it would be a slow squeeze on people who are already being squeezed by the rising cost of living and no hope of wage growth.

Yes. The same percentage as everyone else. Flat tax. No exemptions,or deductions.

I'd be fine with a flat tax that kicks in after a certain amount. Say all income is tax free up to $50,000 a year and then after that every dollar is subjected to a 15% flat tax.

I'm not complaining about anything except the conservative urge to shift the tax burden onto the working class who has not experienced appreciable wage growth in living memory away from the rich who are accumulating wealth at record levels. A flat tax scheme could possibly work if all income levels experienced the same rate of income growth but as it is it would be a slow squeeze on people who are already being squeezed by the rising cost of living and no hope of wage growth.
And you don't see a revamped tax system having any impact on jobs or even wages? Seriously?

That is false. Ever hear of the Earned Income Tax Credit? Millions of people get back more in their refund, sometimes substantially more, than they paid into the system every year.

That doesn't mean that they haven't paid Federal taxes. You need to be working and have taxable income in order to be eligible for the EITC.

And can you please provide a :link: for these "Millions of people get back more in their refund, sometimes substantially more, than they paid into the system every year."?

TYIA

Forum List

Back