Should the Social Security and Medicare Age be Raised

SS and MC were started in 1934 and 1965 respectfully. In 1934 job were much more physical and people’s bodies broke down starting in their 50s. Nowadays go to any company and you see people working well into their 70s… heck even construction are less strenuous on the person’s body. The trend is only going to increase. In addition, medicine is getting better and people are living longer. This reality should be recognized.

In addition it is much easier to take care of oneself and eat better and feel better at older ages.

Our safety nets need to reflect this new reality.
No. A lot of people don't work til their 70s because they want to, they do so because they have no choice.

Also, the suggestion of raising retirement to 70. Some people work more demanding jobs than others. Someone who spent a life pushing a desk may have a good quality of life at 70 and can enjoy retirement. Someone who spent a life in manual labor may not be in nearly as good a shape, and a retirement at 70 could mean not getting to really enjoy life.

How about we just have government keep their hands off the money that people have paid their entire lives, and leave things alone.

SS and MC were started in 1934 and 1965 respectfully. In 1934 job were much more physical and people’s bodies broke down starting in their 50s. Nowadays go to any company and you see people working well into their 70s… heck even construction are less strenuous on the person’s body. The trend is only going to increase. In addition, medicine is getting better and people are living longer. This reality should be recognized.

In addition it is much easier to take care of oneself and eat better and feel better at older ages.

Well pretty much bullshit if they are. We paid all those years of work and already ya gotta live to like 110 just to get back what ya put in. Meanwhile we really should be getting what we paid in plus interest.

That sucks.

Man...I don't wanna sit and rot for 15 years.

No way to check out.

Just take me quick when the time comes...

"Honey...where do I put this jar of MMMUUUsssssssTTTTaaaaaa...REEEEEEEE....gghhhh...'THUMP'
Lol, unfortunately we don't getta choose in that way. On the other hand if you can afford an airplane going upsidedown through a barn seems like a fun way to go out. Sure probably breaking some sort of law but not many cops like handcuffing a corpse. I don't think I will care much about the cuffs at that point.

Lol, unfortunately we don't getta choose in that way. On the other hand if you can afford an airplane going upsidedown through a barn seems like a fun way to go out. Sure probably breaking some sort of law but not many cops like handcuffing a corpse. I don't think I will care much about the cuffs at that point.
I don't care how as long as it's quick.

I like to drive really fast...when I have a fast car...but I don't now.

they need mass reform…similar to what Sweden did.

I don't care how as long as it's quick.

I like to drive really fast...when I have a fast car...but I don't now.
I figure might as well get one last thrill out of it. Other wise ya could end up in a nursing home having someone clean your dirty diapers. Fuck that

No.

The cap on paying in should be raised.

Because we have become fat in our prosperity. You didn't see a lot of fat people 50 years ago.

I have several friends in the construction sector. I know how hard it is.
No you HEARD how hard it is. You KNOW it when you do it...day in and day out year in and year out

So what do you propose?
When we are poor enough, politicians will come up with a final solution. Medical Care will slowly be reduced as the costs are extreme for the greater good. They will even push another propaganda agenda shaming the elderly for taking from the younger and giving those who are sickly, obese and other issues limited medical along with the rest of the population.

We disagree. I like the plan where EVERYONE pays into SS including Federal, State, and local workers, everyone who is not in SS now.

You didn't answer the question if you are a retired government worker. I assume you are. Most government workers get outrageous pensions. In my state you need 24-years to get a full pension and free healthcare, and you're whining about people not working past 65.
Federal Employees have been paying into Social Security for 30 years

Most state and local workers now pay into Social Security

Truth be told those ages need to be lowered. Not for budget reasons.
Because these days is 50 or older most employers will not hire them.
Many are forced into "retirement" - through no fault of their own.

Alternatively? Hey mandates are "IN" just now so simply mandate that if even one person 50 or older applies for any job that is open said person MUST be hired or the employer be fined. Y'know....like with Obamacare.......

Not going to have a robust 401 making $20 per hour. No how no way. Unless one doesn't want one ounce of enjoyment.
I would avoid 401k's like the plauge if possible which many times consist of underperforming garbage investment funds & open a Roth administered by one of the major investment houses such as Vanguard.

No. A lot of people don't work til their 70s because they want to, they do so because they have no choice.

Also, the suggestion of raising retirement to 70. Some people work more demanding jobs than others. Someone who spent a life pushing a desk may have a good quality of life at 70 and can enjoy retirement. Someone who spent a life in manual labor may not be in nearly as good a shape, and a retirement at 70 could mean not getting to really enjoy life.

How about we just have government keep their hands off the money that people have paid their entire lives, and leave things alone.
The exact same arguments could be made in 1935 when life expectancy was 60 and there were many more incurable diseases and cancers.

We are living longer, we should be working longer. Simple common sense.

A larger and larger percentage of the population is being supported by a smaller and smaller percentage. This is unsustainable. Again, simple common sense.

The unsustainability of Social Security and Medicare is only going to get much worse. We have a declining birth rate. We are below the replacement rate.

The exact same arguments could be made in 1935 when life expectancy was 60 and there were many more incurable diseases and cancers.

We are living longer, we should be working longer. Simple common sense.

A larger and larger percentage of the population is being supported by a smaller and smaller percentage. This is unsustainable. Again, simple common sense.
True, but what is the answer? I think you said raise the cap on social security? Then what? The government will just see that as a bigger piggy bank from which they can "borrow" more money.

Great idea! Everyone should be completely miserable and near their death before enjoying a program they paid almost their whole lives in to.
I have been paying into this forced govt program bullshit since i was 14, and probably wont even get to benefit from it because THE FED GOV IS A COMPLETE FAILURE.
I would agree that fiscally, it should be raised. But when did we start giving a shit about fiscal responsibility?
That is the dirty secret of SS.

The program was never intended for you to draw from, you were supposed to die first.

The unsustainability of Social Security and Medicare is only going to get much worse. We have a declining birth rate. We are below the replacement rate.
Almost.

Population is not just replacement through birth but also immigration. The US population has increased every year. It can increase even more if we wanted it to. The right would shit a brick though.

The growth rate is slowing down a LOT but that does not mean we are or will get to a negative growth rate (below replacement).

Unfortunately, SS was not designed for a low growth rate either. Or even to have everyone draw from it to begin with. The program has always been a ponzi scheme and those are always destined to fail when growth does not keep up.

It is worth noting that 2020 is the lowest growth rate ever in the nations history. That is rather telling for a nation where the right is claiming the end of the world is coming because of Mexican immigration...

Forum List

Back