Shutdown Could Last "Weeks"

Moneyman

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2012
Shutdown Could Last Weeks | National Review Online

Senior House Republicans are increasingly persuaded the government shutdown could last weeks and will only be resolved in a major bipartisan accord involving a funding bill and debt-ceiling increase.

In the meantime, despite a small bloc of moderates indicating they would happily vote for a “clean” continuing resolution to fund the government without any preconditions, the House GOP conference is remaining steadfast.

At a closed-door conference meeting earlier today, Speaker John Boehner gave a pep-rally-style speech signaling he isn’t about to fold his hand.

“We’re in this fight. This is the moment. We all talk about doing something for our kids and our grandkids. If you want to do something for them, now is the time. We have to work together and win this fight,” Boehner told members, according to a Republican in the room.

“I can’t imagine we’re going to resolve” the shutdown before the upcoming fight on raising the debt ceiling, Representative John Campbell of California says.

“Think about it — if they decided they were ready to talk by next week, you’re not going to negotiate the thing overnight. It’s going to take a little time,” he adds.

“The real problem is, we may have gotten ourselves into a position where we can’t budge on a clean CR and they can’t budge on Obamacare. Then what do you do?” says Representative Mike Simpson of Idaho, a top Boehner ally. When I ask how long he expected the shutdown to last, Simpson says “I don’t know. I honestly don’t know. I don’t know.”

“It’s kind of sad to me, quite frankly, that they can say ‘we’re not going to meet face-to-face, we’re not going to do this.’ I think eventually that bites you at the end,” says Representative James Lankford of Oklahoma, the fifth-ranking member of the House leadership. “It kind of violates the Constitution, quite frankly. It also violates just the basic convention of how you resolve things,” he adds.

Worsening the already poisonous relationship between Republican and Democratic congressional leaders was a story that appeared in Politico featuring leaked e-mails from Boehner’s chief of staff, Mike Sommers.

The story detailed Boehner’s work to address confusion over how Obamacare would apply to lawmakers and congressional staffers, which now appears hypocritical given his full-fledged embrace of the GOP’s current proposal to eliminate the subsidy the executive branch decided to provide. One of the story’s more damning details was an e-mail from Sommers about how Boehner’s office could help lie about the purpose of a planned meeting with Obama on the subject.

But Republicans close to the process argue vehemently that the e-mails — leaked by Reid’s pugilistic chief of staff, David Krone — mischaracterize Boehner’s role.

For example, a senior lawmaker said internal conversations about the matter focused on Boehner’s efforts to resist a legislative fix to exempt lawmakers and staff and that the Ohio Republican personally came up with and championed in July the strategy of using the issue in a spending showdown over a funding bill or the debt ceiling.

“The only memory I have of him talking about this is about how we could screw them with it,” says a Republican House member.

The leak also deeply angered the class of senior GOP aides who interact with their Democratic counterparts in high-stakes negotiations over issues such as the debt ceiling.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before. I don’t know how David thinks anyone on either side of the aisle will ever be able to work with him again. I guess this is part of Harry Reid’s plan: He refuses to talk with Republicans so I guess his chief of staff figures he doesn’t need to be able to do so either,” says one longtime senior GOP aide.

“He’s a low-rent, self-dealing bagman,” a second senior GOP aide says.

Link: Shutdown Could Last Weeks | National Review Online

Well. This could get ugly. The fact that the Reid's aide is releasing selective e-mails is somewhat frightening. The big thing in dealing with issues like this is trust. And when you have people go and release private e-mails to reporters than the trust barrier is broken.

Well then... Reid says he won't be bullied, yet he seems to be doing the bullying. I have feared years now that this kind of thing would happen. Such a colossal divide, it's as if we are looking at a cold civil war between the two parties.

Reid and Boehner were the ones who typically ended up striking a deal on most of the big issues. Well, looks like that's not going to happen this time. If this gets involved with the debt ceiling than who knows what it's going to do to the economy.

The fact that they are going to arrest WWII veterans who go to WWII memorial tomorrow is downright disgusting. Republicans funded a bill that would allow all Nat. Parks to open tomorrow and Dems even rejected that, and are now going to arrest people who go. Such a joke.

Let it rock on. Let it come to blows. Have done with this pretense that one can work with Democrats at all.

Reid is a scumbucket and we all know it. He just heads up the biggest old boys club inside the beltway.
It doesn't mean that you can't go after the old bastard full tilt in a "new media" war.

I hope no one shows him any mercy.

Republicans have already put out a campaign ad blaming the Democrats for ordering goons to put up the barricades around the WWII Memorial.

Bravo! Attack attack and attack some more.

Reid and Boehner were the ones who typically ended up striking a deal on most of the big issues. Well, looks like that's not going to happen this time. If this gets involved with the debt ceiling than who knows what it's going to do to the economy.

The fact that they are going to arrest WWII veterans who go to WWII memorial tomorrow is downright disgusting. Republicans funded a bill that would allow all Nat. Parks to open tomorrow and Dems even rejected that, and are now going to arrest people who go. Such a joke.

That proves that the Dems are getting what they want and are wanting a government shutdown. Because, they know it won't hurt the economy, one fucking bit.

Shutdown Could Last Weeks | National Review Online

Senior House Republicans are increasingly persuaded the government shutdown could last weeks and will only be resolved in a major bipartisan accord involving a funding bill and debt-ceiling increase.

In the meantime, despite a small bloc of moderates indicating they would happily vote for a “clean” continuing resolution to fund the government without any preconditions, the House GOP conference is remaining steadfast.

At a closed-door conference meeting earlier today, Speaker John Boehner gave a pep-rally-style speech signaling he isn’t about to fold his hand.

“We’re in this fight. This is the moment. We all talk about doing something for our kids and our grandkids. If you want to do something for them, now is the time. We have to work together and win this fight,” Boehner told members, according to a Republican in the room.

“I can’t imagine we’re going to resolve” the shutdown before the upcoming fight on raising the debt ceiling, Representative John Campbell of California says.

“Think about it — if they decided they were ready to talk by next week, you’re not going to negotiate the thing overnight. It’s going to take a little time,” he adds.

“The real problem is, we may have gotten ourselves into a position where we can’t budge on a clean CR and they can’t budge on Obamacare. Then what do you do?” says Representative Mike Simpson of Idaho, a top Boehner ally. When I ask how long he expected the shutdown to last, Simpson says “I don’t know. I honestly don’t know. I don’t know.”

“It’s kind of sad to me, quite frankly, that they can say ‘we’re not going to meet face-to-face, we’re not going to do this.’ I think eventually that bites you at the end,” says Representative James Lankford of Oklahoma, the fifth-ranking member of the House leadership. “It kind of violates the Constitution, quite frankly. It also violates just the basic convention of how you resolve things,” he adds.

Worsening the already poisonous relationship between Republican and Democratic congressional leaders was a story that appeared in Politico featuring leaked e-mails from Boehner’s chief of staff, Mike Sommers.

The story detailed Boehner’s work to address confusion over how Obamacare would apply to lawmakers and congressional staffers, which now appears hypocritical given his full-fledged embrace of the GOP’s current proposal to eliminate the subsidy the executive branch decided to provide. One of the story’s more damning details was an e-mail from Sommers about how Boehner’s office could help lie about the purpose of a planned meeting with Obama on the subject.

But Republicans close to the process argue vehemently that the e-mails — leaked by Reid’s pugilistic chief of staff, David Krone — mischaracterize Boehner’s role.

For example, a senior lawmaker said internal conversations about the matter focused on Boehner’s efforts to resist a legislative fix to exempt lawmakers and staff and that the Ohio Republican personally came up with and championed in July the strategy of using the issue in a spending showdown over a funding bill or the debt ceiling.

“The only memory I have of him talking about this is about how we could screw them with it,” says a Republican House member.

The leak also deeply angered the class of senior GOP aides who interact with their Democratic counterparts in high-stakes negotiations over issues such as the debt ceiling.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before. I don’t know how David thinks anyone on either side of the aisle will ever be able to work with him again. I guess this is part of Harry Reid’s plan: He refuses to talk with Republicans so I guess his chief of staff figures he doesn’t need to be able to do so either,” says one longtime senior GOP aide.

“He’s a low-rent, self-dealing bagman,” a second senior GOP aide says.

Link: Shutdown Could Last Weeks | National Review Online

Well. This could get ugly. The fact that the Reid's aide is releasing selective e-mails is somewhat frightening. The big thing in dealing with issues like this is trust. And when you have people go and release private e-mails to reporters than the trust barrier is broken.

good what a practical demonstration

that our government is way over inflated

and wasting tons of money

smaller government = good for the people

The truth is, the far right is partially getting what it wants. First the sequester, now this. Unfortunately, it just doesn't go far enough. The real services that people want shut down won't be touched.

1379974_583547448349427_144793993_n.jpg

1239596_276843492440693_78405651_n.jpg

We could save a lot more, and a lot more freedom could be restored if we did this up right. :cool:

523527_509596912468893_1715661966_n.jpg

Well then... Reid says he won't be bullied, yet he seems to be doing the bullying. I have feared years now that this kind of thing would happen. Such a colossal divide, it's as if we are looking at a cold civil war between the two parties.

Republicans have pushed it to this point. Now the Democrats are calling them on it. The public will choose sides before too long, and when they do it's going to really get ugly for the loser.

I call 7 weeks a GOOD START.

Forum List

Back