Sick and tired of US debate on raising the min. wage.

Minimum wage is a horseshit issue. But, it stirs up the dummies and gives government more power - so it's irresistible to Democrats.
aAnd stuffing the pockets of the rich is irresistible to the GOP, next?
631_300x300_Front_Color-White.jpg

One of the things a lot of people miss with this topic is the unintended consequences...

I work in a Union environment. If the $10 an hour call center operators get an upgrade to $15 an hour then my $40 an hour job (4x the Operator pay) has to go up to $60 an hour. Imagine what that would require the company to do with our electric rates (I work for a utility company).
" has to go up to $60 "

Nothing has to go up because someone else got a raise. That can always be renegotiated.
What universe do you live in? In the REAL world if you're making fifteen dollars an hour and new hires are making ten dollars an hour...when the new hire starts making fifteen dollars an hour do you REALLY think you're not going to ask for a raise to twenty dollars an hour? Get your head out of your ass on this topic, Folks...it's not rocket science! You do however have to use a little common sense!
I would never ask for a raise because I was jealous. Sorry. I'm just not built like that. If youre character is such that you would be upset because someone else got a break you should reassess your character and ask why someone else making more money effects you? Stop being childish and spiteful.
I've never asked for a raise out of jealousy. I've always asked for raises when the job skills that I've learned have made me more valuable to my employer! Job skill is what should get you a higher wage...not some government mandate.
" Job skill is what should get you a higher wage... "

I agree but there should be a minimum wage that keeps you out of poverty just like there should be free health care in this country.
For god's sake...getting more skills is what keeps you out of poverty! What part of that concept can't you on the left grasp? If you're staying in poverty my question for you is...why? I've never worked a job that didn't have room for advancement. I've always advanced because I DON'T like poverty!
" For god's sake...getting more skills is what keeps you out of poverty! "

That's not necessarily true for a variety of reasons. In theory that sounds great but in reality (racism, physical and mental disabilities, cancer, etc etc) that only works for people that fit a certain mold.
Were you referring to people that have ambition? (eye roll)
Lots of people have ambition. Not everyone with ambition can get a good job.

Of course you can, it's called determination
You can be determined all you want but if they want to hire a white guy or girl you wont get hired unless you fit that mold.
Bullshit! Walk into any government office and look at who's working there. Do you really want to tell me that it's all white guys and girls?
Not sure you got what I saying. I will repeat it then you tell me what your reply had to do with what I said?

You can be determined all you want but if they want to hire a white guy or girl you wont get hired unless you fit that mold.
If you're a person of "color", Milkweed...your chances of being fired from ANY Public Sector job in America are slim and none...and slim just left town!

One of the things a lot of people miss with this topic is the unintended consequences...

I work in a Union environment. If the $10 an hour call center operators get an upgrade to $15 an hour then my $40 an hour job (4x the Operator pay) has to go up to $60 an hour. Imagine what that would require the company to do with our electric rates (I work for a utility company).
" has to go up to $60 "

Nothing has to go up because someone else got a raise. That can always be renegotiated.
What universe do you live in? In the REAL world if you're making fifteen dollars an hour and new hires are making ten dollars an hour...when the new hire starts making fifteen dollars an hour do you REALLY think you're not going to ask for a raise to twenty dollars an hour? Get your head out of your ass on this topic, Folks...it's not rocket science! You do however have to use a little common sense!
I would never ask for a raise because I was jealous. Sorry. I'm just not built like that. If youre character is such that you would be upset because someone else got a break you should reassess your character and ask why someone else making more money effects you? Stop being childish and spiteful.
I've never asked for a raise out of jealousy. I've always asked for raises when the job skills that I've learned have made me more valuable to my employer! Job skill is what should get you a higher wage...not some government mandate.

I agree but there should be a minimum wage that keeps you out of poverty just like there should be free health care in this country.
For god's sake...getting more skills is what keeps you out of poverty! What part of that concept can't you on the left grasp? If you're staying in poverty my question for you is...why? I've never worked a job that didn't have room for advancement. I've always advanced because I DON'T like poverty!

That's not necessarily true for a variety of reasons. In theory that sounds great but in reality (racism, physical and mental disabilities, cancer, etc etc) that only works for people that fit a certain mold.

Bullshit! Walk into any government office and look at who's working there. Do you really want to tell me that it's all white guys and girls?
Not sure you got what I saying. I will repeat it then you tell me what your reply had to do with what I said?

If you're a person of "color", Milkweed...your chances of being fired from ANY Public Sector job in America are slim and none...and slim just left town!
That only happens if your boss isn't white. I've had public sector jobs where I left because I didnt want to go to jail for killing a racist white boy.

There's a big difference between paying a dollar an hour more for 10 years and having labor costs double overnight. You really ought to chill out on the hyperbole.

Might make sense if you hadn’t frozen low end wages for twelve years and given employers a 40 percent tax cut
Why is it, anything that benefits the working class in this nation is always met with skeptisism and attacks....affordable health care, increasing the min wage, a stimulus jobs program, etc...you name it, its an issue....but put something out there to help the fuckin rich and the poorest motherfuckers in the country is all for it???

Because it factually does not benefit the working class. I'm working class. I have never made more than $30,000 in a single year. And that was 2019, and that was a record year. Most of my life I made only $20,000 a year.

The policies that have been pushed here have never helped me in my whole life. And I have personally witnessed it harm me.

Again, all the way back to McDonald's. I was there when the minimum wage went up. It didn't help me at all. In fact it harmed me.

How did the minimum wage harm me? Well they laid off 3 people at the store, because the minimum wage went up, and couldn't afford them.

So how did the store function, without those 3 people? The rest of us, had to work more. We had to cover, for the loss of those three people.

We are opposing this, because it does not help people. If it really helped me, I would be for it.

In fact, if there was no negative result from increasing the minimum wage, why stop at $15/hour? Why not $20? or $50? it doesn't work. That's the problem. The minimum wage always harms. It's just a fact. Never helps.
That last question is the showstopper. If they have to admit going to $100/hr would cost jobs and crash the economy, then it's obvious that raising the MW DOES have an impact, the only question is how much.

There's a big difference between paying a dollar an hour more for 10 years and having labor costs double overnight. You really ought to chill out on the hyperbole.

Might make sense if you hadn’t frozen low end wages for twelve years and given employers a 40 percent tax cut
Why is it, anything that benefits the working class in this nation is always met with skeptisism and attacks....affordable health care, increasing the min wage, a stimulus jobs program, etc...you name it, its an issue....but put something out there to help the fuckin rich and the poorest motherfuckers in the country is all for it???

Because it factually does not benefit the working class. I'm working class. I have never made more than $30,000 in a single year. And that was 2019, and that was a record year. Most of my life I made only $20,000 a year.

The policies that have been pushed here have never helped me in my whole life. And I have personally witnessed it harm me.

Again, all the way back to McDonald's. I was there when the minimum wage went up. It didn't help me at all. In fact it harmed me.

How did the minimum wage harm me? Well they laid off 3 people at the store, because the minimum wage went up, and couldn't afford them.

So how did the store function, without those 3 people? The rest of us, had to work more. We had to cover, for the loss of those three people.

We are opposing this, because it does not help people. If it really helped me, I would be for it.

In fact, if there was no negative result from increasing the minimum wage, why stop at $15/hour? Why not $20? or $50? it doesn't work. That's the problem. The minimum wage always harms. It's just a fact. Never helps.
That last question is the showstopper. If they have to admit going to $100/hr would cost jobs and crash the economy, then it's obvious that raising the MW DOES have an impact, the only question is how much.
I assuming by that question you both dont understand thresholds?

Oh for gods sake. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I've worked hard since I was sixteen. I managed to survive and I get IT. I really DO! Raising the minimum wage will NOT fix our economy. This is just a bone they throw to the dog to get votes, it so pointless and condescending. Its a empty short term bag of nothing.

Of course there are thresholds, and a MW can have more of a positive than a negative impact, if done properly and not suddenly doubled overnight. A natural substance can have a wonderful effect on the human body, allowing someone to recover from surgery without intense pain, but when too much is used, that same substance can kill.

Long Beach just mandated a 4 dollar raise for grocery store owners. Two major grocery stores promptly closed leaving all employees out of a job and out of job benefits.

If they need a $7.25 minimum wage to stay in business, they deserve to close
Good. The two biggest grocery stores closed. Yaaay. The people are out of a job. The neighborhood now has to go elsewhere to shop. Meanwhile the Kroger company will not feel a thing. It's a win lose in all the right places.

If Kroger cannot operate without $7.25 wages
They deserve to fail

That's fine.... but just understand that if every business that deserves to fail, fails, then you will have mass unemployment and a great depression.

The people in Greece, said the same thing, which is why they had a minimum wage that was tied to inflation, and the result was the entire country imploded.

Guess what they did? They cut the minimum wage. Guess what happened? Unemployment in the 30% range, started to fall.

Again, you can say that, but them failing just means people are unemployed.

See you seem to be operating under the strange idea that if all the companies that can't pay $15/hour fail... then all those unemployed people will just magically find jobs that pay $15/hour. No. That's not how it works. If your labor isn't worth $15/hours, then you just stay unemployed.

You can mandate a minimum wage, sure. But you can't mandate that customers pay $15/hour for labor that isn't worth $15/hours. Thus those people just.... don't have a job.
Save me the drama

Minimum wage has been increased for 80 years. Business survived, the market adjusted.

We have not increased the wage in eleven years. Low wage workers have suffered. They have used debt to replace wages that haven kept up with inflation
biden made a promise, he best keep it...WAGES NEED TO GO UP AND IF BUSINESS WANT TO LEAVE...BYE!!
We have sold out the working class for too long

We just gave business a 40 percent tax cut but they cry poverty if they have to give their lowest paid workers a pay increase after 12 years
Who's crying poverty? A business will adjust to an increase in costs. How it adjusts is effected by how big the increase is and how fast it hit. A business, can, for example:

1. Lay off workers. Fewer people working and fewer goods and services on the market, but hey, we really stuck it to those business owners (pssst, don't tell anybody the owner still gets paid what he did before).
2. Outsource jobs and, yes, lay off workers. Customer service now comes from Calcutta by a guy you can't understand, but hey, we really stuck it to those business owners.
3. Automate jobs and, yes, lay off workers. Sure you have to place your order and pay for it without a person to explain that number 3 is atomic blast hot, but hey, we really stuck it to those business owners.
4. Be sold and absorbed by a competitor, and yes, lay off workers. More good paying jobs lost, but hey, we really stuck it to those business owners.
5. Fold up and go out of business. Sure, the owner walks away with everything and everybody is out of a job, and well, you know the rest.
6. Raise prices. This may not be possible based on the market. With all those laid off workers trying to hold onto every dollar until they can start working again, not too many are going to be happy paying more for stuff, but hey, we really stuck it to those business owners.
Dont let them make you afraid of losing your job. Its all a bluff.
What makes you think I'm afraid of losing my job? I'm in a high demand field. I just know human nature, and it does not just go, "Okay, I'll double my labor costs and change nothing else whatsoever". Double the MW and jobs will be lost. Eventually, some will be replaced, but as always, it's the guy on the bottom rung of the ladder that gets hurt the most. It's that young kid who was just trying to build some work experience and make some money for school that will have to compete with experienced workers who got laid off and are now looking for any job they can get to keep things going.
" What makes you think I'm afraid of losing my job? "

You mentioned getting laid off in 6 out of 6 of your examples. You dont find that a little odd? Wouldnt you be good just mentioning it once?
No, I don't find it odd that people get laid off when the government arbitrarily increases the cost of labor. Would it surprise you that it happened?
I was asking didnt you find it odd for someone that claimed they were not worried about losing their job to mention it in 6 out of 6 of their examples. You are obviously worried but I promise you that you wont lose your job.
Ace, I am so so sick of white people thinking all is fair and good out here in the real world...its not. Employers don't give a rats fuck about its workers, all they care about is the bottom line and that's okay, but don't come here talking fairness when it comes to wage earnings....I work with ppl of color and all ethnicity and trust and believe, its the white girls and gals thats making the big dollars and we all know it. Every time one of em threaten to quit, they get raises, a minority threatens, its can I help you to the door.
Wow...talk about someone who really doesn't have a clue!
WOW, talking to someone who really doesn't give a fuck, that's me.

Minimum wage is a horseshit issue. But, it stirs up the dummies and gives government more power - so it's irresistible to Democrats.
It is a horseshit issue
It should have been raised 10 years ago and future raises should be tied to inflation

You know why it wasn't? Because politicians are afraid of getting voted out of office for fucking up the economy.

Oh for gods sake. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I've worked hard since I was sixteen. I managed to survive and I get IT. I really DO! Raising the minim wage will NOT fix our economy. This is just a bone they throw to the dog. Its a empty short term bag of nothing.
" Raising the minim wage will NOT fix our economy. "

Who said it would by itself? The point is to pay people a wage they can survive on and raise their children so they dont repeat the cycle.

" has to go up to $60 "

So you saying jackie didn't play MLB or Obama didn't become president

Of course there are thresholds, and a MW can have more of a positive than a negative impact, if done properly and not suddenly doubled overnight. A natural substance can have a wonderful effect on the human body, allowing someone to recover from surgery without intense pain, but when too much is used, that same substance can kill.
Apply that same reasoning to why you shouldnt raise the MW to $100 an hour.

Oh for gods sake. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I've worked hard since I was sixteen. I managed to survive and I get IT. I really DO! Raising the minim wage will NOT fix our economy. This is just a bone they throw to the dog. Its a empty short term bag of nothing.
I wish you brain dead morons would pay attention to reality and get off of fox noise....do, Mary show where in fact, anybody has suggested that by raising the min. wage to 15 that its suppose to help save our economy, show just one link, one sentence anything that suggest that, other wise you clueless white mop, shut the fuck up!!

News flash alert....when I was 12 years old, White Castle hamburgers were 15CENTS, today they're a 1.25...now these burgers are about the size of a postage stamp and still are....but the world didn't end and the workers, actually make good wages....one more time, JUST PAY THE MAN, AUNT BEE.
When you where 12 we didn't have 20 million illegals in this country lowering wages

Oh for gods sake. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I've worked hard since I was sixteen. I managed to survive and I get IT. I really DO! Raising the minimum wage will NOT fix our economy. This is just a bone they throw to the dog to get votes, it so pointless and condescending. Its a empty short term bag of nothing.
Nobody said it would fix the economy

Just helps those who are starting out and have been struggling for 12 years without an increase

" has to go up to $60 "

So you saying jackie didn't play MLB or Obama didn't become president
So youre saying that because Jackie played MLB and Obama became president all racists died?

News flash alert....when I was 12 years old, White Castle hamburgers were 15CENTS, today they're a 1.25...now these burgers are about the size of a postage stamp and still are....but the world didn't end and the workers, actually make good wages....one more time, JUST PAY THE MAN, AUNT BEE.
When you where 12 we didn't have 20 million illegals in this country lowering wages
No, I had it worse....Nixon, inflation, the Vietnam war and hostile employers hating on nigga's.....next stupid assumption?

Forum List

Back