Since free college isn't free...what is wrong with actually paying it back?

People like Ray don't think health is a vital national interest. They think a sick, uneducated population is no better for the nation than a healthy, educated one.

It's amazing.
I've honestly never seen somebody admit that...even some of the least educated or most ignorant people I meet acknowledge that education is key. I honestly have no clue where this guy is even from at this point. He cannot be a natural American citizen...nobody actually raised here has that world view.

I mean seriously I'm astounded. Our country is known as being one of the most technologically advanced and innovative nations in the world. Look at the companies we have spawned...Tesla, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. These are all tech companies that THE WORLD USES that requires a basic education to do anything in. It is like this guy wants us to go back to farming our own crops or manufacturing machinery or somecrap that 2nd or 3rd world nations do.

Obviously your comprehension skills are lacking.

Education is important, but not a VITAL national interest. Protection of the country is a vital national interest. Advanced education is an investment, and an investment means to spend money in order to get much more back.

Therefore, the public should not be funding investments of any sort.

Why then does the military have education standards for enlistment if it's not vital?

Why does the military have academies to train officers, if any idiot can be an officer?

Who said any idiot can be an officer. If the military needs to train people, then so be it. It's part of the protection of this country--a vital national interest.

You said it. You dismissed education as a vital national interest.

Correct, education is not a vital national interest--our military is. And in the military, you need training to perform your duties. It's specific, not general.

What we were talking about is free college and the public paying for it.

Holy shit. This guy actually just said he believes that an educated population is not a vital national interest.

At least we now know his level of educational attainment...barely passed high school.

Wow...I've seriously seen some inane things here but that one comment may have just taken the cake.

People like Ray don't think health is a vital national interest. They think a sick, uneducated population is no better for the nation than a healthy, educated one.

It's amazing.
I've honestly never seen somebody admit that...even some of the least educated or most ignorant people I meet acknowledge that education is key. I honestly have no clue where this guy is even from at this point. He cannot be a natural American citizen...nobody actually raised here has that world view.

I mean seriously I'm astounded. Our country is known as being one of the most technologically advanced and innovative nations in the world. Look at the companies we have spawned...Tesla, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. These are all tech companies that THE WORLD USES that requires a basic education to do anything in. It is like this guy wants us to go back to farming our own crops or manufacturing machinery or somecrap that 2nd or 3rd world nations do.

Education is important, but not a VITAL national interest. Protection of the country is a vital national interest. Advanced education is an investment, and an investment means to spend money in order to get much more back.

My comprehension skills are not lacking. The fact that you don't think of it as VITAL is what I'm astounded at. Key word: vital. How do you think we can compete with other nations economically OR militarily. I'm going to clue you in...it isn't on our manpower. It is from the fact that we have the most TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED force in the world. If you don't think education is vital in keeping that force advanced you probably don't have much of an education yourself.

Wait a minute! How did we become the most technologically advanced force in the world without free college???

Just something for you to think about for a few minutes.

Because we once had millions of good paying jobs that didn't require a college education.

It's amazing.

My comprehension skills are not lacking. The fact that you don't think of it as VITAL is what I'm astounded at. Key word: vital. How do you think we can compete with other nations economically OR militarily. I'm going to clue you in...it isn't on our manpower. It is from the fact that we have the most TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED force in the world. If you don't think education is vital in keeping that force advanced you probably don't have much of an education yourself.

Wait a minute! How did we become the most technologically advanced force in the world without free college???

Because we once had millions of good paying jobs that didn't require a college education.

Really? And what happened to them?

Why then does the military have education standards for enlistment if it's not vital?

Why does the military have academies to train officers, if any idiot can be an officer?

Who said any idiot can be an officer. If the military needs to train people, then so be it. It's part of the protection of this country--a vital national interest.

Correct, education is not a vital national interest--our military is. And in the military, you need training to perform your duties. It's specific, not general.

Our military is supported by the economy. An uneducated populace is not conducive to a strong economy. Nor is an unhealthy populace. The military does not exist in a vacuum.

They went to countries where they became low paying jobs.

When, at any point in time, have I said I support free college?

Sorry, just assuming you were following the topic and conversation. My bad........
I've been astounded that you don't think of education as a vital interest for our nation. Personally, I'd consider it one of the cornerstones for how well Americans are doing in the world economy.

On the topic of college, I think that Americans should get increased assistance with college. I think that the rising prices are indicative of the fact that we have some of the best colleges in the world and, thus, our students have to compete with the brightest and wealthiest students from abroad that wish to study here. I think that, in order to have college remain affordable to the middle class rather than just the upper class, increased assistance is necessary. However, I do not think that we should pay for all college funding nor do I think we should cap the raising prices on our colleges (since I'm a fan of a free market). I think that our college students in debt should feel an obligation to pay for the education they received rather than look to have their slate wiped clean.

With all that said, I do with with our nation's education as my foremost concern. I believe that allowing our colleges to retain their higher prices allows them to attract the brightest minds from around the world to teach at their universities and conduct valuable research there.

Our military is supported by the economy. An uneducated populace is not conducive to a strong economy. Nor is an unhealthy populace. The military does not exist in a vacuum.

Absolutely correct, now can you tell me if or when we ever had a problem with an uneducated populace that created a threat to this nation because taxpayers were not paying for college?

What your argument is is a solution looking for a problem--not the other way around.

They went to countries where they became low paying jobs.

Correct, so now people must get educated enough to provide themselves with an ability to have a decent standard of life. And guess what? They are doing it......all on their own. In fact we have more kids going to college than ever. My niece and nephew are both college graduates. They (and their parents) are paying for it. My nephew is doing fine because he had a friend in the business he got involved in, but my niece, a straight A student in biology, is waiting on tables in Florida, and has been waiting on tables the last two years.

When, at any point in time, have I said I support free college?

Sorry, just assuming you were following the topic and conversation. My bad........
I've been astounded that you don't think of education as a vital interest for our nation. Personally, I'd consider it one of the cornerstones for how well Americans are doing in the world economy.

On the topic of college, I think that Americans should get increased assistance with college. I think that the rising prices are indicative of the fact that we have some of the best colleges in the world and, thus, our students have to compete with the brightest and wealthiest students from abroad that wish to study here. I think that, in order to have college remain affordable to the middle class rather than just the upper class, increased assistance is necessary. However, I do not think that we should pay for all college funding nor do I think we should cap the raising prices on our colleges (since I'm a fan of a free market). I think that our college students in debt should feel an obligation to pay for the education they received rather than look to have their slate wiped clean.

With all that said, I do with with our nation's education as my foremost concern. I believe that allowing our colleges to retain their higher prices allows them to attract the brightest minds from around the world to teach at their universities and conduct valuable research there.

Well this we can agree upon.

Profit college are now profiting at a near 20%. Think about that. Wouldn't you love if they sold stocks in colleges? I would. Give me an opportunity to invest in any industry that's showing a 20% profit margin, I may be able to retire early.

This happened because of supply and demand. The shorter the supply and the higher the demand, the higher the prices go.

That illustrates my point that we do have plenty of kids getting an advanced education. If not, a college education would be more affordable and those institutions would compete against each other price-wise.

So guess what would happen if taxpayers were sending every Tom, Dick and Harry to college? What would happen to the price of a higher education then?

Like I said, help is something we can agree on. In fact our federal government is looking at a potential 170 billion in more debt because of college now, and it isn't even free yet.

What we need to do is first focus on making college affordable, then figuring out a way to pay for it.

Correct, education is not a vital national interest--...it.

Of course it is.

Of course it is.

No, not to the point that it has to be a taxpayer liability.

Or in the social sense, a word that means forcefully sending your kid across town to satisfy some liberal judge somewhere.

Bussing had nothing to do with factories, those are the fault of unions and government. They are the ones that made it too expensive to produce sellable products in the US, so the businesses moved out.

Man, you sound like a battered wife with two black eyes explaining it was your own damned fault your jackass husband broke your nose.

While it is truly reprehensible that you WERE MORTIFIED your kid might have to sit next to a negro, that had nothing to do with why big corporations threw away your shitty city like a battered wife for a new trophy wife.

I'm sure you miss the good old days when the Cayahuga River used to catch on fire because of all the shit big corporations were dumping into it.

I don't see the word "fund" in the constitution anywhere.

If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion in to their own hands; they may appoint teachers in every State, county, and parish and pay them out of the public treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may assume the provision of the poor . . . Were the power of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for, it would subvert the very foundations, and transmute the very nature of the limited government established by the people of America.

James Madison, federalist paper 83

again, why do we keep treating the thoughts of the Founding Slave Rapists like they are holy writ?

We don't burn witches or bleed people with strep throat like the Founding Slave Rapists did, why do we look to them for advice on how to handle higher education or how do we keep guns out of the hands of killer clowns?

I wonder

When right wingers argue about liberal controlled universities and that students are not receiving an education but are being brainwashed, do they realized they are huirtinhg the engineer and science fields in the process?

why do the left wing regressives insist that college should be free...or rather, that the money for people's education should be extracted at gunpoint from other taxpayers....many of whom will not go to college?

Why don't they insist that those people attending college on the taxpayers expense, pay back the money they get......?

Why is that such a hard concept for bernie and hilary and the rest of the left wing regressives to get?

What percent of Americans who attend college never pay taxes thereafter?

I wonder

When right wingers argue about liberal controlled universities and that students are not receiving an education but are being brainwashed, do they realized they are huirtinhg the engineer and science fields in the process?

Conservatives who want conservative colleges should start conservative colleges. No one is stopping them.

why do the left wing regressives insist that college should be free...or rather, that the money for people's education should be extracted at gunpoint from other taxpayers....many of whom will not go to college?

Why don't they insist that those people attending college on the taxpayers expense, pay back the money they get......?

Why is that such a hard concept for bernie and hilary and the rest of the left wing regressives to get?

What percent of Americans who attend college never pay taxes thereafter?

All those that can not find jobs, because of horrid far left policies..

I wonder

Conservatives who want conservative colleges should start conservative colleges. No one is stopping them.

Yes they are! You afar left drones are doing it..

Show where the far left would allow such a college to exist!

Of course it is.

No, not to the point that it has to be a taxpayer liability.

What is a vital national interest? And who decides what is or isn't?

I wonder

Yes they are! You afar left drones are doing it..

Show where the far left would allow such a college to exist!

Overall, the most conservative schools are scattered all over the country and significantly vary in size. From the 47,093 students at Texas A&M to the 378 students at Thomas Aquinas College, here are the schools with the most conservative students.

1. Texas A&M University – College Station, Texas
  2. Thomas Aquinas College – Santa Paula, California
  3. Grove City College – Grove City, Pennsylvania
  4. College of the Ozarks – Point Lookout, Missouri
  5. University of Dallas – Irving, Texas
  6. United States Merchant Marine Academy – Kings Point, New York
  7. Auburn University – Auburn, Alabama
  8. Hampden-Sydney College – Hampden-Sydney, Virginia
  9. Brigham Young University – Provo, Utah
  10. Hillsdale College – Hillsdale, Michigan
  11. Wofford College – Spartanburg, South Carolina
  12. Clemson University – Clemson, South Carolina