Since free college isn't free...what is wrong with actually paying it back?

So by not being for taxpayers funding this education, it's disrespectful?

I don't believe you recognize the obvious benefits of higher education, for the individual, for the community and most importantly, for the nation.

Nothing ensures domestic tranquillity, promotes the general welfare and preserves the union like an educated citizenry.

We need an independent, intelligent citizenry. What we are churning out now are little indoctrinated babies who fear debate, can't tolerate the fact that there are differing views and run to their safe spaces every time someone fails to pat them on the back and assure them they are right about everything. That spells disaster for the country and that is what we are getting more of these days.

Also, having more young people go out into the world with an entitlement mentality isn't going to improve a damn thing in this country. It's destroying it. Meanwhile, libs keep finding more ways to hand out free shit. Being handed something often means it won't be appreciated like the things people actually work for.

College is getting more expensive and that is a choice made by colleges. Professors are getting paid well. Liberals also claim health care should be free and they have no qualms about capping doctor's salaries. Wonder if they'll take the same approach to college professors after they push free education.
Your compliant seems to be a cultural one, not an argument against free education.

Change the culture! Convince people that they should be free and independent. Convince them that winning requires work and effort. Convince them that they should be more self centered and less involved in community.

Give them examples of how the economically, socially and intellectually disadvantaged have succeeded and thrived in spite of the obstacles placed in their way by others who are similarly self centered.

Student loans are higher interest rate than a car or a house. THe government is actually making money off them. As much value as an educated population adds to our country, we don't need to be making money from student loans.

Student loans are higher interest rate than a car or a house.

Can you come up with any reason why that is the case?

THe government is actually making money off them.

Do you actually think the government is going to make money off the student loan debacle?

As much value as an educated population adds to our country,

What is the current value of an LGBT grievance studies degree?

You can blame the interest rate on student loans being all directed to one bank. IOW there is no competition for interest on student loans.

The biggest problem that college students have, is that they continue to take underwater basket weaving classes--and then wonder why they can't get a job in their degree field afterwards--and they then have this huge college debt to pay back.

I think Bernie Sanders supporters know that college isn't free, they just want you to pay for it.
I think Bernie supporters have already paid or are paying for their education... There support must reflect a willingness to allocate funds from their future tax payments to help future generations get their degrees... Imagine that

I think Bernie supporters have already paid or are paying for their education...

The 20-something Bernie supporters have not paid for their "degree" yet.

There support must reflect a willingness to allocate funds from their future tax payments

LOL!

Another thing we can imagine: 35 trillion in debt and growing faster. Yes, it's only 19 trillion today, but 10 trillion of that was put there by Obama. With Sanders in charge, it would be Obama on steroids.

Or we can make the rich pay their fair share instead of giving them huge tax cuts and corporate welfare.

Or we can make the rich pay their fair share

What is their fair share? What rate should they pay?
What percentage of total income tax receipts should they pay?

Student loans are higher interest rate than a car or a house. THe government is actually making money off them. As much value as an educated population adds to our country, we don't need to be making money from student loans.

Do you actually think the government is going to make money off the student loan debacle?

You can blame the interest rate on student loans being all directed to one bank. IOW there is no competition for interest on student loans.

The biggest problem that college students have, is that they continue to take underwater basket weaving classes--and then wonder why they can't get a job in their degree field afterwards--and they then have this huge college debt to pay back.

I think Bernie Sanders supporters know that college isn't free, they just want you to pay for it.
I think Bernie supporters have already paid or are paying for their education... There support must reflect a willingness to allocate funds from their future tax payments to help future generations get their degrees... Imagine that

I think Bernie supporters have already paid or are paying for their education...

There support must reflect a willingness to allocate funds from their future tax payments

LOL!

No, but the 20 something Bernie supporters have already made their student loans and committed to paying those high interest rates.My understanding is that existing loans will not change. Only loans made after it goes into effect. This will effect kids who are still in high school.

LOL!

No, but the 20 something Bernie supporters have already made their student loans and committed to paying those high interest rates.My understanding is that existing loans will not change. Only loans made after it goes into effect. This will effect kids who are still in high school.

No, but the 20 something Bernie supporters have already made their student loans and committed to paying those high interest rates

How high are the rates?

My understanding is that existing loans will not change.

If that news gets around, his support will plummet!

LOL!

No, but the 20 something Bernie supporters have already made their student loans and committed to paying those high interest rates

How high are the rates?

6.21%

LOL!

How high are the rates?

6.21%

What would be a fair rate for a loan like this with no collateral?

LOL!

How high are the rates?

6.21%

Any reduction in interest rate would help.

When a bank makes an unsecured loan, the only thing that is returned to them is profit, and since that is their only concern,they charge high rates to compensate for any defaulted loans. A better educated population raises the standard of living for the entire country. That rise in standard of living more than compensates for any defaulted student loans.

You don't like the idea of the country paying for 2 or 4 years of college? Fine, don't call it college. Call it grades 13 through 14 or 16. We added kindergarten and pre-K to the beginning of a school career fairly recently, and as late as the 40's many schools didn't have a 11th or 12th grade. It's in the country's best interest to add a few more years of education

LOL!

How high are the rates?

6.21%

When a bank makes an unsecured loan, the only thing that is returned to them is profit, and since that is their only concern,they charge high rates to compensate for any defaulted loans. A better educated population raises the standard of living for the entire country. That rise in standard of living more than compensates for any defaulted student loans.

You don't like the idea of the country paying for 2 or 4 years of college? Fine, don't call it college. Call it grades 13 through 14 or 16. We added kindergarten and pre-K to the beginning of a school career fairly recently, and as late as the 40's many schools didn't have a 11th or 12th grade. It's in the country's best interest to add a few more years of education

When a bank makes an unsecured loan, the only thing that is returned to them is profit, and since that is their only concern,they charge high rates to compensate for any defaulted loans.

That's why if any change occurs, it should be a hike in rates.

A better educated population raises the standard of living for the entire country.

Government loans to pay for 4 (or more) years of minority grievance studies, and countless other useless degrees, only raises the standard of living for the staff of the college. It lowers the standard of living for the country.

You don't like the idea of the country paying for 2 or 4 years of college?

Nope. It's a horrible idea. All it does is raise the cost of college for everyone.

Fine, don't call it college. Call it grades 13 through 14 or 16.

Nope.

It's in the country's best interest to add a few more years of education

Only if you limit it to those who took high school seriously and have the grades and test scores to prove it.
But that would be racist.

How high are the rates?

6.21%

When a bank makes an unsecured loan, the only thing that is returned to them is profit, and since that is their only concern,they charge high rates to compensate for any defaulted loans.

A better educated population raises the standard of living for the entire country.

Government loans to pay for 4 (or more) years of minority grievance studies, and countless other useless degrees, only raises the standard of living for the staff of the college. It lowers the standard of living for the country.

Nope. It's a horrible idea. All it does is raise the cost of college for everyone.

Nope.

Only if you limit it to those who took high school seriously and have the grades and test scores to prove it.

Are you opposed to further education in general, or just certain subjects of study?

How high are the rates?

6.21%

Nope.

Are you opposed to further education in general, or just certain subjects of study?

I'd like real education. Which means at least 50% of the crap they teach should be tossed.

Another thing we can imagine: 35 trillion in debt and growing faster. Yes, it's only 19 trillion today, but 10 trillion of that was put there by Obama. With Sanders in charge, it would be Obama on steroids.
Discretionary spending comprises a small percentage of the debt and if you really look at the numbers you will see that Obama has been pretty responsible with his spending and that the deficit spending is not necessarily a bad thing... Deficit Spending Definition | Investopedia

LOL!
They also aren't expecting a time machine to magically take them back to pay for their college, even if Bernies free college policy goes through... Which it won't with our congress

If that were the case then the kids go into adoption. But I think that would be rare as people would be forced to get a job or two and support their family instead of being on the dole. Plus it would remove the incentive to have more children and thus, reduce poverty.

Removing responsibility and rewarding irresponsibility doesn't seem to be working. As Walter E Williams put it, the problem is we allowed government to replace the father with a government check.
You honestly think that everybody is just gonna go back to work? Keep dreaming dude. How about you focus on realist things like useful reforms to our welfare system to get our poor educated and hired... Cutting them off isn't going to produce anything but more poverty and crime

Yes, we've heard that one before; just before the Republicans passed Welfare Reform back in the 90's.

The liberals were predicting the same doom and gloom: families starving, people killing each other over food, an explosion of new homeless people, the works.

It never happened. In fact, the law had much success.

We have all kinds of jobs in the US that can easily get you off of welfare. But you can lead a horse to water.........

Same goes with education. If a person has no desire to learn anything, and all he can focus on is getting back home in front of his big screen, then no education in the world will help that person.

It's kind of like the theory of electricity. Electricity will take it's least path of resistance. Same holds true for some people. If an easy way out is offered to them, that's the route they will take.
I agree, I don't think there should be an easy way, we shouldn't just be sending checks... earning a welfare check should take work and accountability... Cutting welfare completely and thinking people will just go to work isn't reality.

I agree with you there. I'm not suggesting cutting all welfare. But the systems are loaded with abuse.

An example: In Maine, they instituted requirements to stay on the food stamp program. They were only aimed at childless adults.

They gave three options: have a job working at least 20 hours a week. Volunteer your time at least 20 hours per month, or be enrolled in a vocational program so you can enter a new career to work.

The outcome? Most of those adults dropped out of the SNAP's program. It seems it was not a necessity at all, again, the least path of resistance.
Well after all this time I think we can agree on something... Welfare reform is definitely necessary... The hows might be a different story

Let's reform it by getting rid of it.

You honestly think that everybody is just gonna go back to work? Keep dreaming dude. How about you focus on realist things like useful reforms to our welfare system to get our poor educated and hired... Cutting them off isn't going to produce anything but more poverty and crime

Yes, we've heard that one before; just before the Republicans passed Welfare Reform back in the 90's.

The liberals were predicting the same doom and gloom: families starving, people killing each other over food, an explosion of new homeless people, the works.

We have all kinds of jobs in the US that can easily get you off of welfare. But you can lead a horse to water.........

Same goes with education. If a person has no desire to learn anything, and all he can focus on is getting back home in front of his big screen, then no education in the world will help that person.

It's kind of like the theory of electricity. Electricity will take it's least path of resistance. Same holds true for some people. If an easy way out is offered to them, that's the route they will take.
I agree, I don't think there should be an easy way, we shouldn't just be sending checks... earning a welfare check should take work and accountability... Cutting welfare completely and thinking people will just go to work isn't reality.

I agree with you there. I'm not suggesting cutting all welfare. But the systems are loaded with abuse.

An example: In Maine, they instituted requirements to stay on the food stamp program. They were only aimed at childless adults.

They gave three options: have a job working at least 20 hours a week. Volunteer your time at least 20 hours per month, or be enrolled in a vocational program so you can enter a new career to work.

The outcome? Most of those adults dropped out of the SNAP's program. It seems it was not a necessity at all, again, the least path of resistance.
Well after all this time I think we can agree on something... Welfare reform is definitely necessary... The hows might be a different story

Another genius... Great, lets play fantasy with your idea... What happens when you remove it?

Another genius... Great, lets play fantasy with your idea... What happens when you remove it?

People get off their asses. Families and communities step up to the plate and take care of their own, and the churches continue to do exactly what they're doing. Feeding the people is NOT the federal government's job. Their ONLY job is to protect the people and their God-given right to feed themselves.

LOL!
They also aren't expecting a time machine to magically take them back to pay for their college, even if Bernies free college policy goes through... Which it won't with our congress

They also aren't expecting a time machine to magically take them back to pay for their college

Don't need a time machine for government to forgive the debt.

People get off their asses. Families and communities step up to the plate and take care of their own, and the churches continue to do exactly what they're doing. Feeding the people is NOT the federal government's job. Their ONLY job is to protect the people and their God-given right to feed themselves.
You go around to all the shelters and programs that work to help our poor and tell them they are out of work and out of federal funding. Try it... Take a day to get off your ass and away from your forum, go to a few of these places and ask them how they feel about your great ideas. Ask a community representative how they feel about the increase in homeless, crime, and starving children... Ask the churches how they are going to handle the sole responsibility of taking care of our poor... I don't know why I waste my time engaging with you... I really don't care what fringe morons think

LOL!

They also aren't expecting a time machine to magically take them back to pay for their college

Is debt forgiveness part of the conversation? Did I miss something?

LOL!

Is debt forgiveness part of the conversation? Did I miss something?

If he hasn't explicitly pushed for it, his supporters think he has....or will.

Forum List

Back