Since free college isn't free...what is wrong with actually paying it back?

To answer that, we first have to look at the word "vital." Here is what it's defined as in my Apple computer dictionary:

vital |ˈvītl| adjective1

absolutely necessary or important; essential: secrecyis of vital importance | it is vital that the system is regularly maintained.

• indispensable to the continuance of life: the vital organs.

So like I said, we have more kids in college than ever before in this country. I simply can't see how our college situation can be considered vital yet alone a vital national interest; at least not by definition.
The "vital" problem isn't simply college, it's poverty, crime, gangs, drugs, welfare, low wages etc etc etc. some believe that a better education system and more opportunity for our poor is the best way to help get people out of a destructive lifestyle. I hear the opposing side call them lazy criminals and suggest we cut them off and throw them in jail with harsher punishments... You may argue either side but I think most would agree that there are very systemic problems that need to be addressed.

Like what? What hasn't been addressed?

Single parents is the real issue in this country. Single parenthood is more related to poverty than education.

We give mom a government check when she has a child. Our taxes feed the child because mom isn't working. The kid goes to school and gets free breakfast and lunch or more. If poor, the child gets free healthcare. If mom is working and poor, she gets a voucher for daycare before the kid goes to school. And education is at no charge to the parent up to their Senior high class.

There are plenty of people in this country that stayed out of crime, drugs, poverty that never went to college. And there will be many more in the future.
So what is your solution? Let the single mom's and their children struggle even harder, starve em out? You think this will decrease the rate of single parents?

If it were up to me, the law would be nobody gets a dime of welfare until they are fixed first.

If you are a woman, you have to get your tubes tied before you can collect anything. If you are a guy that is not financially supporting your child, you have to get a vasectomy before you can collect.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Wealthy parents will raise their children to be wealthy if possible. Same with upper-class parents and middle-class parents. The poor? Almost definitely.

How can you solve poverty when you encourage people to create more poor people? The more kids one has, the larger the welfare check, the SNAP's benefits, the HUD home in the suburb.
You're funny, so what happens to all those who don't want their genitals mutilated? What happens to their children? To the communities they live in?

If that were the case then the kids go into adoption. But I think that would be rare as people would be forced to get a job or two and support their family instead of being on the dole. Plus it would remove the incentive to have more children and thus, reduce poverty.

Removing responsibility and rewarding irresponsibility doesn't seem to be working. As Walter E Williams put it, the problem is we allowed government to replace the father with a government check.

Single parents is the real issue in this country. Single parenthood is more related to poverty than education.

We give mom a government check when she has a child. Our taxes feed the child because mom isn't working. The kid goes to school and gets free breakfast and lunch or more. If poor, the child gets free healthcare. If mom is working and poor, she gets a voucher for daycare before the kid goes to school. And education is at no charge to the parent up to their Senior high class.

There are plenty of people in this country that stayed out of crime, drugs, poverty that never went to college. And there will be many more in the future.

If your pals the One Percenters have their way, we will all be in poverty...

And you'll still be making excuses for them.

Both you and RFC are utter fools. If only I were able to debate you idiots openly and honestly. I would have you all belleding from every orifice in your bodies.

I doubt that. You see, I carry my firearm most times. Our laws allow me to use my firearm (legally) if I am attacked. So you might be able to get a punch or two in, but I would make sure you momma would be crying by the end of the night.

The "vital" problem isn't simply college, it's poverty, crime, gangs, drugs, welfare, low wages etc etc etc. some believe that a better education system and more opportunity for our poor is the best way to help get people out of a destructive lifestyle. I hear the opposing side call them lazy criminals and suggest we cut them off and throw them in jail with harsher punishments... You may argue either side but I think most would agree that there are very systemic problems that need to be addressed.

So what is your solution? Let the single mom's and their children struggle even harder, starve em out? You think this will decrease the rate of single parents?

If it were up to me, the law would be nobody gets a dime of welfare until they are fixed first.

If you are a woman, you have to get your tubes tied before you can collect anything. If you are a guy that is not financially supporting your child, you have to get a vasectomy before you can collect.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Wealthy parents will raise their children to be wealthy if possible. Same with upper-class parents and middle-class parents. The poor? Almost definitely.

How can you solve poverty when you encourage people to create more poor people? The more kids one has, the larger the welfare check, the SNAP's benefits, the HUD home in the suburb.
You're funny, so what happens to all those who don't want their genitals mutilated? What happens to their children? To the communities they live in?

If that were the case then the kids go into adoption. But I think that would be rare as people would be forced to get a job or two and support their family instead of being on the dole. Plus it would remove the incentive to have more children and thus, reduce poverty.

Removing responsibility and rewarding irresponsibility doesn't seem to be working. As Walter E Williams put it, the problem is we allowed government to replace the father with a government check.
You honestly think that everybody is just gonna go back to work? Keep dreaming dude. How about you focus on realist things like useful reforms to our welfare system to get our poor educated and hired... Cutting them off isn't going to produce anything but more poverty and crime

There was a time when most healthy males had to look forward to at least two years service to their Country and with it came the legendary G.I. Bill for a subsidized higher education not to mention the skills learned in the Military Service. The G.I. Bill is still there and so are the skills but the "ask not what your Country can do for you" generation has evolved into the gimmie sex, drugs and rock and roll generation without a clue or historic perspective. No wonder the idiots think Sanders can get them what they want.

And who pays for the military and GI Bill?

So you are ok with free college so long as u add the extra expense of a couple years of military service !

You have companies with internships that help couple a degree the student is pursuing with actual job experience associated with that degree. Obviously we don't have a problem with that, but somehow military experience considered by some as a life long career and you shouldn't be paid for it? Unlike welfare, these individuals work to obtain their government paycheck.

There was a time when most healthy males had to look forward to at least two years service to their Country and with it came the legendary G.I. Bill for a subsidized higher education not to mention the skills learned in the Military Service. The G.I. Bill is still there and so are the skills but the "ask not what your Country can do for you" generation has evolved into the gimmie sex, drugs and rock and roll generation without a clue or historic perspective. No wonder the idiots think Sanders can get them what they want.

So you are ok with free college so long as u add the extra expense of a couple years of military service !

You have companies with internships that help couple a degree the student is pursuing with actual job experience associated with that degree. Obviously we don't have a problem with that, but somehow military experience considered by some as a life long career and you shouldn't be paid for it? Unlike welfare, these individuals work to obtain their government paycheck.

Whered welfare come from? I'm talking costs .

Here's somthing I don't get . Is the military a bait n switch ? The commercials say "you'll get all this valuable training ", then why do they need all these hire a vet programs !?

why do the left wing regressives insist that college should be free...or rather, that the money for people's education should be extracted at gunpoint from other taxpayers....many of whom will not go to college?

Why don't they insist that those people attending college on the taxpayers expense, pay back the money they get......?

Why is that such a hard concept for bernie and hilary and the rest of the left wing regressives to get?

There is no reason for them not to pay it back. Everyone else has to pay their student loans and we should all be equal, right?

Might help if professors weren't so overpaid for indoctrinating students. They teach liberalism and preach that the wealthy are evil, all the while padding their own pockets.

You are so right!

The average military family isn't paid as well as some on welfare. And they deal with moving every few years and having the military member gone much of the time. Gee, some never make it back to their families. Military people are the exact opposite of welfare recipients.

Welfare recipients don't even want to look for work much of the time, let alone put their lives on the line for their country.

Wherd welfare come from? I'm talking costs .

Here's somthing I don't get . Is the military a bait n switch ? The commercials say "you'll get all this valuable training ", then why do they need all these hire a vet programs !?

Taxpayers pay for those on government welfare and housing, while you're complaining about those who actually work and commit themselves to perform a service receiving a government "cost" to cover advancing education towards a skill from the GI Bill?

There is valuable training through the military, as well as a discipline that most employers appreciate, coming from an accomplishment that's found through a pursuit of dedication along with a respect towards authority. Those with military experience receive an edge over civilians that are applying for the same government position. You don't think we ought to be supporting those men and women who choose to place themselves in a service for their country? After all it is a job you have to place yourself in complete dedication towards completing, with what you have been required to put in, as you are owned by the government. Rather than out in the workforce where people seem to find all kinds of excuses to simply up and quit their current job because they are simply "not happy" where they are at. Now you could always try to likewise quit and go AWOL during your military service but, seeing as the government OWNS you during that period of time you had freely decided in committing yourself to, the government can prosecute you for desertion because they placed their money and time into training you to do a required task.

why do the left wing regressives insist that college should be free...or rather, that the money for people's education should be extracted at gunpoint from other taxpayers....many of whom will not go to college?

Why don't they insist that those people attending college on the taxpayers expense, pay back the money they get......?

Why is that such a hard concept for bernie and hilary and the rest of the left wing regressives to get?
When the states established their union, they purposely didn't give it plenary legislative power. Rather, they gave it a very small set of legislative powers, which are listed in Art I, sec 8. If one peruses the powers listed therein, one will not find a power to operate colleges or primary schools, or any school, for that matter.

There is no reason for them not to pay it back. Everyone else has to pay their student loans and we should all be equal, right?

Might help if professors weren't so overpaid for indoctrinating students. They teach liberalism and preach that the wealthy are evil, all the while padding their own pockets.

Correct. The average profit for profit colleges in the US is 19%. What other industry has that kind of success on a consistent basis?

And when these liberal colleges are raking in that kind of dough, then they want the taxpayer to pay for it because education is now too expensive.

Whered welfare come from? I'm talking costs .

Because much of the public sector doesn't accept military training.

I used to work in medical and worked with a former paramedic. He told me of stories where paramedics that worked in Vietnam couldn't get work as a paramedic in the US. They had to start from scratch and be trained all over again as if they never were in the field in their lives.

Along with science, equality, voter's rights,a clean environment, a woman's right to chose, Black lives and the poor we see that Conservatives also hate higher education. Where do I sign up? This political ideology offers something against everyone.

Correct. The average profit for profit colleges in the US is 19%. What other industry has that kind of success on a consistent basis?

And when these liberal colleges are raking in that kind of dough, then they want the taxpayer to pay for it because education is now too expensive.
As job competition and requirements go up college degrees become more essential to get hired, this causes the need for more kids to go to college... The increase in demand raises prices a capitalistic business model. Private colleges have every right to charge whatever they want to. I don't see the problem with the proposition of providing free or government subsidized public college for those who can't afford it. I personally think there should be some form of payback but I don't see why the right thinks this proposition is so ludicrous. Are they going to start demanding highschoolers to payback for their education too?

Last edited:

You honestly think that everybody is just gonna go back to work? Keep dreaming dude. How about you focus on realist things like useful reforms to our welfare system to get our poor educated and hired... Cutting them off isn't going to produce anything but more poverty and crime

Yes, we've heard that one before; just before the Republicans passed Welfare Reform back in the 90's.

The liberals were predicting the same doom and gloom: families starving, people killing each other over food, an explosion of new homeless people, the works.

It never happened. In fact, the law had much success.

We have all kinds of jobs in the US that can easily get you off of welfare. But you can lead a horse to water.........

Same goes with education. If a person has no desire to learn anything, and all he can focus on is getting back home in front of his big screen, then no education in the world will help that person.

It's kind of like the theory of electricity. Electricity will take it's least path of resistance. Same holds true for some people. If an easy way out is offered to them, that's the route they will take.

Yes, we've heard that one before; just before the Republicans passed Welfare Reform back in the 90's.

The liberals were predicting the same doom and gloom: families starving, people killing each other over food, an explosion of new homeless people, the works.

We have all kinds of jobs in the US that can easily get you off of welfare. But you can lead a horse to water.........

Same goes with education. If a person has no desire to learn anything, and all he can focus on is getting back home in front of his big screen, then no education in the world will help that person.

It's kind of like the theory of electricity. Electricity will take it's least path of resistance. Same holds true for some people. If an easy way out is offered to them, that's the route they will take.
I agree, I don't think there should be an easy way, we shouldn't just be sending checks... earning a welfare check should take work and accountability... Cutting welfare completely and thinking people will just go to work isn't reality.

As job competition and requirements go up college degrees become more essential the get hired, this causes the need for more kids to go to college... The increase in demand raises prices a capitalistic business model. Private colleges have every right to charge whatever they want to. I don't see the problem with the proposition of providing free or government subsidized public college for those who can't afford it. I personally think there should be some form of payback but I don't see why the right thinks this proposition is so ludicrous. Are they going to start demanding highschoolers to payback for their education too?

It's because an advanced education is an investment--not a necessity.

When you make an investment, you take your own money (either on hand or borrowed) and place that money where it will not only make your money back, but with a handsome profit.

You are correct that these colleges have every right to charge what they do, but then don't come to the taxpayers to pay for it. Colleges can make 75% profit for all I care, but don't ask me to provide you the money to go to these colleges.

If you wish to pay that kind of money to increase your wealth in the future, go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

Along with science, equality, voter's rights,a clean environment, a woman's right to chose, Black lives and the poor we see that Conservatives also hate higher education. Where do I sign up? This political ideology offers something against everyone.

"Socialism, like the ancient ideas from which it springs, confuses the distinction between government and society. As a result of this, every time we object to a thing being done by government, the socialists conclude that we object to its being done at all." -- Frédéric Bastiat

Just because one points out that the US government has no legislative authority concerning education doesn't mean one is opposed to education per se.

I agree, I don't think there should be an easy way, we shouldn't just be sending checks... earning a welfare check should take work and accountability... Cutting welfare completely and thinking people will just go to work isn't reality.

I agree with you there. I'm not suggesting cutting all welfare. But the systems are loaded with abuse.

An example: In Maine, they instituted requirements to stay on the food stamp program. They were only aimed at childless adults.

They gave three options: have a job working at least 20 hours a week. Volunteer your time at least 20 hours per month, or be enrolled in a vocational program so you can enter a new career to work.

The outcome? Most of those adults dropped out of the SNAP's program. It seems it was not a necessity at all, again, the least path of resistance.

So does BS.........

As job competition and requirements go up college degrees become more essential the get hired, this causes the need for more kids to go to college... The increase in demand raises prices a capitalistic business model. Private colleges have every right to charge whatever they want to. I don't see the problem with the proposition of providing free or government subsidized public college for those who can't afford it. I personally think there should be some form of payback but I don't see why the right thinks this proposition is so ludicrous. Are they going to start demanding highschoolers to payback for their education too?

It's because an advanced education is an investment--not a necessity.

When you make an investment, you take your own money (either on hand or borrowed) and place that money where it will not only make your money back, but with a handsome profit.

You are correct that these colleges have every right to charge what they do, but then don't come to the taxpayers to pay for it. Colleges can make 75% profit for all I care, but don't ask me to provide you the money to go to these colleges.

If you wish to pay that kind of money to increase your wealth in the future, go for it. Nobody is stopping you.
Nobody is talking about taking over private colleges... But creating a public option for higher education is become a necessity to remain competitive in our modern workforce. A few decades ago a hs degree meant something. Today it means much less. The free college movement is just like an extension of high school. It's not a wild liberal idea and actually makes sense if you think about it. Like I said I think there should be some form of payback and also think there could be smart moves about the type of courses offered... But that's a different discussion. It's too bad we can't be working together on ways to better our education, increase opportunity for our poor and strengthen our workforce.

Forum List

Back