Since when does the Catholic Church have the right to force their religious values...

The controvery isn't over whether women should have access to birth control but whether free access to birth control and abortion is a human right.

The controvery isn't over whether women should have access to birth control but whether free access to birth control and abortion is a human right.

That may be the left's perspective. But from the Church's perspective, it is whether the government has the right to force a religion to breach its own Doctrine.

Really? I see it as all three.

Really? Free birth control is a right? Since when? Tell me what right does a government have in forcing their beliefs on a person? What right does the government have to force someone to violate their conscience?

This is not free access. People are WORKING and receiving compensation for that WORK, some of that being healthcare coverage.

look at your posts NYCarbineer.

According to you, anyone who thinks differently than you is a farce.

So that pretty much squashes the intergtiy of this post of yours in particular.

Because I'm right and you are wrong. Churches do not get to run businesses outside US law simply because they have a piece of dogma that conflicts with that law.

That is fact. That is irrefutable.

prove it....

In the United States, labor laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibit businesses from discriminating against employees based on the basis of religion......but the Church business is offering the same coverage to all employees.....therefore there is no discrimination....

Business law is also at times applied to religious organizations, due to their status as incorporated entities......

However......under the Civil Rights Act of 1964......There are partial and whole exceptions to Title VII for four types of employers:

Federal government; (Comment: The proscriptions against employment discrimination under Title VII are now applicable to the federal government under 42 U.S.C. Section 2000e-16)

Federally recognized Native American tribes

Religious groups performing work connected to the group's activities, including associated education institutions;

Bona fide nonprofit private membership organizations.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

still waiting for that "irrefutable" proof....

This is not free access. People are WORKING and receiving compensation for that WORK, some of that being healthcare coverage.

They receive whatever their employer agrees to, and not one thing more.

Last edited:
http://ozebook.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Goebbels_spricht.jpgIMG]

Churches do not get to run businesses outside US law simply because they have a piece of dogma that conflicts with that law.

That is fact. That is irrefutable.[/quote]

Actually, yes they do. We have laws against Peyote, but the religious practices of certain tribes in New Mexico that involve its use are allowed because of the First Amendment.

Your so-called "fact" is easily refutable.[/QUOTE]

Can the Indians open a peyote store in your local mall?[/QUOTE]

You have a special talent for stupid non sequiturs.

Peyote possession is against the law, unless you belong to certain Indian tribes because it's used in their religious practices. That proves your claim wrong.

End of story.

They are welcome to seek employment elsewhere.

Not according the CRA which bars employers who serve the public from discriminating based on religion.

We're aware of that. But we will not violate our conscience because your Asshole in the Oval says we have to. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

He'll fold. Like a pack of cards. He picked the wrong religion to piss off.

You have a conscience??? There you go exaggerating again!!

Not according the CRA which bars employers who serve the public from discriminating based on religion.

We're aware of that. But we will not violate our conscience because your Asshole in the Oval says we have to. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

He'll fold. Like a pack of cards. He picked the wrong religion to piss off.

You have a conscience??? There you go exaggerating again!!

Fuck off, dogbreath.

Except that you're not allowed to discriminate. No one is asking the RCC to do anything, except provide insurance. The people backing their position seem to be on the wrong side of the First Amendment fight, IMO.

Except that you're not allowed to discriminate. No one is asking the RCC to do anything, except provide insurance. The people backing their position seem to be on the wrong side of the First Amendment fight, IMO.

They can have insurance, some policies don't provide maternity benefits. It's up to the employer to provide the insurance, they get to pick what's covered and what's not. If you don't like theirs, you can go buy your own. This is about forcing a religious employer to supply a government mandate that is against their doctrine.

Is the government forcing employers to provide free maternity benefits?? Oh gawd..........it's probably buried in there somewhere. :eek:

I'd like to know since when have Evangelicals been defenders of the Catholic church??? I am Catholic, and I have been criticized for praying to statues and to the Blessed Virgin. Evangelicals have told me it's wrong.

I think the majority of people flapping their gums on this issue are only doing it because it's a good excuse to criticize the prez. The majority of Catholics do use birth control just like they ate meat on Fridays before the Pope said we could.

This whole thing is a crock. Until Evangelicals, Republicans, and othe Obama hating groups become objective, I don't trust them.

I'd like to know since when have Evangelicals been defenders of the Catholic church??? I am Catholic, and I have been criticized for praying to statues and to the Blessed Virgin. Evangelicals have told me it's wrong.

I think the majority of people flapping their gums on this issue are only doing it because it's a good excuse to criticize the prez. The majority of Catholics do use birth control just like they ate meat on Fridays before the Pope said we could.

This whole thing is a crock. Until Evangelicals, Republicans, and othe Obama hating groups become objective, I don't trust them.

A lot of hate in that post. :eusa_shhh:

I understand that Catholics teach that artificial contraception is considered to be intrinsically evil.

But isn't abortion considered to be far worse?

So, if a prohibition on contraception ultimately leads to more abortions, where is the greater good?

I understand that Catholics teach that artificial contraception is considered to be intrinsically evil.

So, if a prohibition on contraception ultimately leads to more abortions, where is the greater good?

if we allow people to rob convenience stores as long as they doint use a gun and not get arrested if caught..and allowed to keep the money..

They would be less likely to rob a bank at gunpoint.

Where is the greater good?

Ahhh, my little pony is getting all 'grown up' again. :lol:

Forum List

Back