"Sixty Minutes" - Journalistic Malpractice

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Tonight's show.

Feature One: A story about a fatuous, ridiculous lawsuit by leftist lawyers pretending to represent The Children, hoping to get the USSC to force The Government to end CO2 emissions by 2050 (presumably excluding emissions from human respiration). Despite their heroic efforts, 60M was unable to find a single person willing to point out the scientific, legal, and Constitutional idiocy of this case, and to reassure the viewing audience that this case has no chance whatsoever of winning anything, once it gets past the protected environs of the infamous 9th Circuit. Strike One.

Feature Two: A story telling about how the occasional Amtrak rail disasters could (essentially) all be avoided if the railroads would simply purchase and install [I think it was called] Positive Train Control, which they are required to do by law. Fair enough. The piece ends with the interviewer asking a guy who lost his job because he is alleged to have caused one of these fatal accidents whether HE thinks that AMTRAK is safe. Of course he does not. 60M failed to report the single relevant statistic in this regard, one accepted by every transportation authority in the world (allowing for metric conversion): fatalities per billion passenger miles*. Failing to cite the relevant safety statistic, and failure to compare it to, for example, personal auto travel, air travel, and bus travel, renders the piece little more than gossip.

Feature Three: A report on a school (or a program - I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing) that seeks to solve the "problem" of "not enough women professionals working in computer science ("IT")." Oddly, they did not mention exactly WHY this is a problem. Are women or young women prevented from going into STEM fields. Are they discouraged? By whom? Good heavens, girls have been encouraged to study math and science since I was in high school in the 60's. Who is preventing them from studying science and math?

Could it POSSIBLY be that girls simply have little interest, just as they have little interest in kick boxing or motocross or cock fighting or playing chess?

Sixty Minutes has long been the most popular "news" show on network television, and if this showing is representative, it publishes nothing but garbage. Lies, half truths, and propaganda. And yes, even Fake News.

"According to a 2013 study by economist Ian Savage, trains are the second-safest mode of transportation in the U.S. Between 2000 and 2009, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by trains was 0.43. In comparison, the number of deaths caused by cars was 7.3 and the number of deaths caused by motorcycles was a disturbing 213.

But trains are still only the second-safest option, with the first-safest option being — you guess it — flying.

According to that same study, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by airplanes is a measly 0.07."

I caught the enviro-nazi segment, myself.

Sad, because a lot of people accept what that program says without questioning any of it.

Last edited:
I was just watching that episode at my sister's house when I was there for Sunday dinner. I had to hold my tongue from making jokes during the segment about girls learning to code. My sister's household is very liberal. :dunno:

I was just watching that episode at my sister's house when I was there for Sunday dinner. I had to hold my tongue from making jokes during the segment about girls learning to code. My sister's household is very liberal. :dunno:
Thru the magic of DNA I met my sister last month. For the first time after 69 years

Tonight's show.

Feature One: A story about a fatuous, ridiculous lawsuit by leftist lawyers pretending to represent The Children, hoping to get the USSC to force The Government to end CO2 emissions by 2050 (presumably excluding emissions from human respiration). Despite their heroic efforts, 60M was unable to find a single person willing to point out the scientific, legal, and Constitutional idiocy of this case, and to reassure the viewing audience that this case has no chance whatsoever of winning anything, once it gets past the protected environs of the infamous 9th Circuit. Strike One.

Feature Two: A story telling about how the occasional Amtrak rail disasters could (essentially) all be avoided if the railroads would simply purchase and install [I think it was called] Positive Train Control, which they are required to do by law. Fair enough. The piece ends with the interviewer asking a guy who lost his job because he is alleged to have caused one of these fatal accidents whether HE thinks that AMTRAK is safe. Of course he does not. 60M failed to report the single relevant statistic in this regard, one accepted by every transportation authority in the world (allowing for metric conversion): fatalities per billion passenger miles*. Failing to cite the relevant safety statistic, and failure to compare it to, for example, personal auto travel, air travel, and bus travel, renders the piece little more than gossip.

Feature Three: A report on a school (or a program - I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing) that seeks to solve the "problem" of "not enough women professionals working in computer science ("IT")." Oddly, they did not mention exactly WHY this is a problem. Are women or young women prevented from going into STEM fields. Are they discouraged? By whom? Good heavens, girls have been encouraged to study math and science since I was in high school in the 60's. Who is preventing them from studying science and math?

Could it POSSIBLY be that girls simply have little interest, just as they have little interest in kick boxing or motocross or cock fighting or playing chess?

Sixty Minutes has long been the most popular "news" show on network television, and if this showing is representative, it publishes nothing but garbage. Lies, half truths, and propaganda. And yes, even Fake News.

"According to a 2013 study by economist Ian Savage, trains are the second-safest mode of transportation in the U.S. Between 2000 and 2009, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by trains was 0.43. In comparison, the number of deaths caused by cars was 7.3 and the number of deaths caused by motorcycles was a disturbing 213.

But trains are still only the second-safest option, with the first-safest option being — you guess it — flying.

According to that same study, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by airplanes is a measly 0.07."
What made them leftist lawyers?

Tonight's show.

Sounds like the PTC thing could have been done better. Not sure its worth the over reaction. Maybe the others, who knows. Regardless PTC could prevent all kinds of nonsense I can't believe doesn't happen more. Funny RCLs made it into use faster, guess there is money to be saved there. Eh, corporations.

FWIW, Railroads aren't going to fool around with new technology until its a stable thing they aren't going to have to upgrade tomorrow. As of 9-11ish they were still tracking trains by control blocks.

What made them Leftist lawyers? The fact that they took their kid to a tree hugger rally when she was 3 months old?

Do you doubt for even a nanosecond that every lawyer involved in this fiasco is a Leftist?

Tonight's show.

60 Minutes has always been shit.....The original fake news.

Forum List

Back