Skyping with the enemy: I went undercover as a jihadi girlfriend

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Thjs gives you an idea of how they lure girls to join them.

Skyping with the enemy: I went undercover as a jihadi girlfriend

When a French journalist posed online as a young woman interested in Isis, she was soon contacted by a fighter in Syria. He proposed marriage – but could she maintain a double life?

Illustration: Aude Van Ryn for the Guardian
Anna Erelle

Tuesday 26 May 2015 03.00 EDTLast modified on Tuesday 26 May 201509.06 EDT

It was 10 o’clock on a Friday night in spring 2014 and I was sitting on the sofa in my one-bed Paris apartment when I received a message from a French terrorist based in Syria: “Salaam alaikum, sister. I see you watched my video. It’s gone viral – crazy! Are you Muslim? What do you think about mujahideen?”

A journalist, I had been writing about European jihadists in Islamic State for about a year. I created a social media account, using the name Mélodie, to investigate why European teenagers were attracted to Islamic extremism. I spent hours scanning feeds filled with descriptions of gruesome plans. I had spent that night on my couch, flicking from account to account, when I came across a video of a French jihadist who looked about 35. He wore military fatigues and called himself Abu Bilel. He claimed to be in Syria.

I would later learn that he had spent the past 15 years waging jihad all over the world. But for the moment, I knew nothing of the bellicose man on my screen, proudly unveiling the contents of his SUV glove box: a thick stack of Syrian pounds, candy, a knife. He removed his reflective Ray-Bans, revealing darkly lined, black eyes. I knew that Afghan soldiers wore kohl around their eyes. Still, seeing a terrorist with eyes made up like my own was surprising. He was good-looking. He spoke perfect French, with what to me sounded like a very slight Algerian accent. He smiled broadly as he beckoned viewers and called for hijrah: leaving a land of unbelievers to join an Islamist country.

I usually kept a low profile on my account. I didn’t preach; I simply posted links to articles or videos such as this one. My profile picture was a cartoon image of Princess Jasmine from the Disney movie Aladdin. I tended to change my profile location depending on what story I was working on. Now I claimed to be in Toulouse. I shared the video. Soon afterwards, my computer alerted me to three messages sent to Mélodie’s private inbox from Abu Bilel. “Last question,” he wrote, “are you thinking about coming to Syria?”

Continue reading at:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/26/french-journalist-poses-muslim-conv

Darn Sally. I was hoping you finally had something interesting to post, and that it was YOU who had posed undercover as a jihadi girlfriend!

Oh well. File this away into the repository of pointless Sally threads.

Forum List

Back