Small Town Rural America Has Been Screwed

I say driving American companies out of business and making our workers unemployed so that china can make the same stuff cheaper by polluting their water and air is extremely stupid on our part
China is always going to make stuff cheaper unless Americans willing to work at their wages for their hours and suffer their lack of standards.

Has nothing to do with politics.
when its the politics that make it cheaper to move production over seas it is all about politics,,

China is always going to make stuff cheaper unless Americans willing to work at their wages for their hours and suffer their lack of standards
We dont have to buy their stuff

we can levy high tariffs or ban importation altogether

I've been on a road trip that I've wanted to do for a very long time.

I drove east to Illinois then am driving southwest to the Pacific Ocean on what's left of Route 66.

That road, or what's left of it, goes through small town rural America.

I've gone through ghost town after ghost town. The towns that aren't abandoned are so deeply depressed it's painful and shameful to see.

Small town rural America has been totally screwed and abandoned by both our government and our citizens.

I understand now why so many republicans are so angry. I don't understand why they can't see why they have been screwed so badly and by whom.

Most of the states and all of the towns are controlled by republicans. People keep voting for them because of social issues like gay marriage and because they don't make much money and wrongly seem to believe that tax cuts are the answer to their financial problems.

Tax cuts have only totally screwed small town rural America. Their roads are so bad. I mean so bad that there were times the rough road and wind has my car literally bouncing down the road. When was the last time their roads were paved? The poverty is just terrible.

This is the result of keeping wages low, no regulation on business and trillions in tax cuts for the rich and big business.

Capitalism is making it worse because there's no money to be made in those areas so they are abandoned by business which results in more depressed economic conditions.

Raising wages will help these people a lot. Not just by increasing their own pay but by increased business from others being paid more. No little tax cut that is temporary will be a solution to such poverty. Higher wages will.

Better education will help a lot. So people don't have to take low wage jobs that require public assistance to be able to survive.

Small town rural America needs to stop electing politicians who don't give a damn about them and won't invest in the people and the areas they live in.

I was in one place that the water coming out of the faucet was a light brown and cloudy. I didn't wash my hands, I used hand sanitizer instead.

I have gone through countless towns that are totally abandoned. I've gone through farming areas that there aren't houses on the land. Just farming. People don't live in those areas anymore so the towns are turning into ghost towns.

The air in Oklahoma and Texas was so polluted it has caused a sinus infection. And people live in those areas. I can only imagine the health problems of the people in those areas but they don't have any hospital or medical facilities to go to. They have to travel hundreds of miles to get medical help.

Younger people who weren't alive before Reagan think this is normal.

It's not.

America wasn't like this before the conservatives convinced Americans that taxes, regulations, worker protections, a livable wage and investing in our nation was a horrible thing.

I totally understand now why so many in small town rural America voted for trump. He was the first republican who actually vocalized the problems the Republican Party was creating.

Only he either went about fixing the problem wrong or just didn't do anything. Which is what he mostly did. Nothing. In fact, things got worse for small town rural America.

I don't know what the solution is to help these people see that voting for republicans got them in this mess and won't get them out of it.

But I finally saw for myself the reasons why republicans voted for trump.

Stick it up your mask commie bastard.
Wonderful thread content there, Skippy. What do you think about the assertions made in the OP? Me? I think a lot of what he saw on Route 66 is because of the towns being bypassed by the Interstate system.

I know the answer....You Lefties should invite 20-40 million illiterate thirdworlders to flood our employment, education, healthcare and welfare systems....that’ll make everything better...ain’t that right @colfax_m ?
When an illiterate third worlder can take your job, maybe the reason you are struggling economically is that you have little of value to offer to the economy.

My job requires capitalization, communication and people skills, discipline, accountability, ambition and an iQ...none of which thirdworlders possess. I thought you were worried about blacks and the legal brown people who are living in squalor trying to compete with the modern day slaves?

Explain please.

Also, Everyone is greedy.

I disagree that the idea that one should be able to pay their bills in exchange for a 40 hour work week makes one greedy.
I know the answer....You Lefties should invite 20-40 million illiterate thirdworlders to flood our employment, education, healthcare and welfare systems....that’ll make everything better...ain’t that right colfax_m ?

It's the greedy business that are inviting them but you know that.

Public opinion can change that...are you helping to change the public’s opinion?
Are you fighting against sanctuary city policies, are you fighting for aggressive deportation legislation...etc etc?

China is always going to make stuff cheaper unless Americans willing to work at their wages for their hours and suffer their lack of standards

Tariffs are anti-capitalism. It’s government deciding winners and losers, not the free market.

Tariffs are anti-capitalism. It’s government deciding winners and losers, not the free market.
tariffs are against other countries and the duty of the fed government and have nothing to do with free market capitalism inside the US,,

I know the answer....You Lefties should invite 20-40 million illiterate thirdworlders to flood our employment, education, healthcare and welfare systems....that’ll make everything better...ain’t that right @colfax_m ?
When an illiterate third worlder can take your job, maybe the reason you are struggling economically is that you have little of value to offer to the economy.

My job requires capitalization, communication and people skills, discipline, accountability, ambition and an iQ...none of which thirdworlders possess. I thought you were worried about blacks and the legal brown people who are living in squalor trying to compete with the modern day slaves?

Your job has nothing to do with this.

Modern day slave is exactly what Republicans want to turn the lower skilled workforce into.

People should simply be happy living 4 families to a house?
If we want a capitalist society, they’re supposed to be miserable with that quality of life and that misery is supposed to make them acquire more valuable skills.

My point is that people need to stop worshiping capitalism as a religion but holy shit we’ve been so indoctrinated that it’s really hard to get anyone to admit it’s failings.

Capitalism doesn't have failings. People who are dishonest, greedy, corrupt are the ones who have failed.

If it doesn't have failings someone would actually be practicing it.

Hundreds of thousands of small businesses actually do. Most corporations don't.

No they don't really either. Thousands of small businesses took the PPP "loans", which were not loans. Where in Capitalism do we find the government paying a businesses wages?

I own a company. I didn't take any of their loans. Most small business weren't able to take the loans. Your last sentence makes no sense.

Of course it does. That is what the PPP program did.

They didn't pay business wages. I know two people that received a loan for x amount of dollars. They appropriated those funds however needed to their business.

Employees, business costs, etc, none of it is capitalism.

The essential feature of capitalism is the motive to make a profit. Labor, rent, employees, revenues, expenditures are all part of it.

Which is irrelevant to what I said. Nowhere in capitalism do you find the taxpayers paying for that.

Again, you make no sense.

You fully understand what I'm saying. Your deflection is the very reason no where practices capitalism.

Tariffs are anti-capitalism
You dont really think private companies in America competing against state owned mega corps in china represents capitalism do you?
No. I think Apple employing cheap Chinese labor to assemble iPhones versus employing expensive American labor to do the exact same job is capitalism.

But not the capitalism that Nationalists want to support.

Explain please.

I disagree that the idea that one should be able to pay their bills in exchange for a 40 hour work week makes one greedy.
I know the answer....You Lefties should invite 20-40 million illiterate thirdworlders to flood our employment, education, healthcare and welfare systems....that’ll make everything better...ain’t that right colfax_m ?

Public opinion can change that...are you helping to change the public’s opinion?
Are you fighting against sanctuary city policies, are you fighting for aggressive deportation legislation...etc etc?

I have argued endlessly to address the employers hiring illegals. That's how you find them.

People should simply be happy living 4 families to a house?
If we want a capitalist society, they’re supposed to be miserable with that quality of life and that misery is supposed to make them acquire more valuable skills.

My point is that people need to stop worshiping capitalism as a religion but holy shit we’ve been so indoctrinated that it’s really hard to get anyone to admit it’s failings.

Capitalism doesn't have failings. People who are dishonest, greedy, corrupt are the ones who have failed.

If it doesn't have failings someone would actually be practicing it.

Hundreds of thousands of small businesses actually do. Most corporations don't.

No they don't really either. Thousands of small businesses took the PPP "loans", which were not loans. Where in Capitalism do we find the government paying a businesses wages?

I own a company. I didn't take any of their loans. Most small business weren't able to take the loans. Your last sentence makes no sense.

Of course it does. That is what the PPP program did.

They didn't pay business wages. I know two people that received a loan for x amount of dollars. They appropriated those funds however needed to their business.

Employees, business costs, etc, none of it is capitalism.

The essential feature of capitalism is the motive to make a profit. Labor, rent, employees, revenues, expenditures are all part of it.

Which is irrelevant to what I said. Nowhere in capitalism do you find the taxpayers paying for that.

Again, you make no sense.

You fully understand what I'm saying. Your deflection is the very reason no where practices capitalism.
I've been practicing it for 30 yrs,,

Modern day slave is exactly what Republicans want to turn the lower skilled workforce into.

Really...Which Republicans policies are leading to such a thing?

You dont really think private companies in America competing against state owned mega corps in china represents capitalism do you?
No. I think Apple employing cheap Chinese labor to assemble iPhones versus employing expensive American labor to do the exact same job is capitalism.

china doesnt employ people they force people to work,,

how many times are you going to be proven wrong before you get it??

Really...Which Republicans policies are leading to such a thing?

Republicans have been anti-union forever.

All the power is being concentrated in the people who control the capital.

china doesnt employ people they force people to work,,

Not true. Not even close. Propaganda.

We had a plant in China. Come harvest time many would simply quit showing up.

Explain please.

I have argued endlessly to address the employers hiring illegals. That's how you find them.

Okay cool....so do you stand against sanctuary city policies, free healthcare for illegals, free school for illegals, free shit for illegals, drivers licenses for illegals and ALL incentives for illegals? Are you for aggressive deportation legislation?

Forum List

Back