Smithsonian: How to Talk with Evangelicals about Evolution

Poor Indoctrinated Cultists.
Turns out you have to break it to them gently. Very gently.

HOW TO TALK WITH EVANGELICALS ABOUT EVOLUTION
Smithsonian Magazine -- 4-19-2018

""Rick Potts is no atheist-evolutionist-Darwinist. That often comes as a surprise to the faith communities he works with as head of the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History Human Origins Program in Washington, D.C.

Raised Protestant — with, he likes to say, “an emphasis on the ‘protest’” — the paleoanthropologist spends his weekends singing in a choir that sings both sacred and secular songs. At 18, he became a conscientious objector to the Vietnam War...
[....]That’s why, for him, human evolution is the perfect topic to break down entrenched barriers between people in an increasingly polarized, politicized world.
[.....]
If you aren’t caught on one side of the evolution debates, it can be hard to grasp what all the fuss is about. Here’s the short version: Charles Darwin’s crime wasn’t disproving God. Rather, the evolutionary theory he espoused in "On the Origin of Species" rendered God unnecessary. Darwin provided an explanation for life’s origins — and, more problematically, the origins of humanity — that didn’t require a creator.

What would Darwin think if he could see the evolution wars rage today? If he knew that, year after year, national polls find one-third of Americans believe that humans have always existed in their current form? (In many religious groups, that number is far higher.) That, among all Western nations, only Turkey is more likely than the United States to flat-out reject the notion of human evolution?
[.....]
[.....]

I have the same problem with people like you, who believe a man can turn himself into a woman by putting on a wig.

You think we're made of materials, when in fact we're made of energy.
Then cut off your hand, weigh it, and reattach it. Report back on its "weightlessness". Since you are so sure.

You think Consciousness is a byproduct of chemicals and materials, when in fact we live in a self aware Universe.
Magical nonsense. Yes, your consciousness is completely contained within and a product of the physical system that is your brain. You have not a shred of evidence to the contrary, and your magical declarations hold no weight here. Take that garbage to the religion section.

You're not alone in that thinking either,
Well no shit, that's why we arent still in the stone age. Well, most of us.

In "Autobiography of a Yogi" I think 2 different yogis reattach limbs.

Poor Indoctrinated Cultists.
Turns out you have to break it to them gently. Very gently.

HOW TO TALK WITH EVANGELICALS ABOUT EVOLUTION
Smithsonian Magazine -- 4-19-2018

""Rick Potts is no atheist-evolutionist-Darwinist. That often comes as a surprise to the faith communities he works with as head of the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History Human Origins Program in Washington, D.C.

Raised Protestant — with, he likes to say, “an emphasis on the ‘protest’” — the paleoanthropologist spends his weekends singing in a choir that sings both sacred and secular songs. At 18, he became a conscientious objector to the Vietnam War...
[....]That’s why, for him, human evolution is the perfect topic to break down entrenched barriers between people in an increasingly polarized, politicized world.
[.....]
If you aren’t caught on one side of the evolution debates, it can be hard to grasp what all the fuss is about. Here’s the short version: Charles Darwin’s crime wasn’t disproving God. Rather, the evolutionary theory he espoused in "On the Origin of Species" rendered God unnecessary. Darwin provided an explanation for life’s origins — and, more problematically, the origins of humanity — that didn’t require a creator.

What would Darwin think if he could see the evolution wars rage today? If he knew that, year after year, national polls find one-third of Americans believe that humans have always existed in their current form? (In many religious groups, that number is far higher.) That, among all Western nations, only Turkey is more likely than the United States to flat-out reject the notion of human evolution?
[.....]
[.....]

I have the same problem with people like you, who believe a man can turn himself into a woman by putting on a wig.
So what? You are always whining like a little b**** about something or other.

Evolution has NOTHING to do with Transgender **** you Redneck POS.
Evolution is not a political/liberal position, it's a Scientific FACT.

`

So you deny the science of transgenderism. I knew you would, you little jihadi bitch. Say hi to your nine year old wife for me.

So you deny the science of transgenderism. I knew you would, you little jihadi bitch. Say hi to your nine year old wife for me.
Transgenderism is OFF TOPIC here you Cross-Dressing POOF with a Cowboy hat.
If you have anything on evolution despite not even attending Elementary school, THAT is the topic
If Not, ALL YOUR OFF TOPIC posts get REPORTED.

`

Transgenderism is OFF TOPIC here you Cross-Dressing POOF with a Cowboy hat.
If you have anything on evolution despite not even attending Elementary school, THAT is the topic
If Not, ALL YOUR OFF TOPIC posts get REPORTED.

`

You're protesting an awful lot, here. You know, you don't have to hide your homosexuality in America. We're a tolerant nation, no one will throw you off a building like in the shithole country you came from.

Yet you manage to believe the 'Astronaut Theory' without any difficulty at all, let alone evidence, when there is much more evidence for evolution of species. Oh well, colour me surprised. And you exceptional.
And the problem/IDIOCY with the 'Astronaut Theory' is it solves NOTHING.
It just kicks the 'life' problem down the Universe!
The non-solution of a low IQer.

`
Why does it have to solve something?
Isnt that what our savage ancestors did with religion?

Kicking abu's ass is like child's play......he blusters and pretends that he has reached his conclusions by due diligence when in all actuality, he is just copying and pasting material from those that have sucked him in.........it would be comical if it wasn't such a sad commentary of how utterly gullible one can be.
Complaining about real Info/sources?
IOW you can try making up any **** and we just go back and forth Yes/no humoring your insanity.
Not going to happen fruitcake.
You're sick.
You believe in every conspiracy theory, and post No or Wack Job links.
A total committable Nut bag who should NOT be allowed out of the Conspiracy section to Troll sane people in real topics.
(PS: but thx for bumping/Promoting MY OP.)
What you hate is anyone that dares to question your lame talking points because you then have to stray from the script. I am the real deal, my name is real, my pics are of me. I have nothing to hide. I have been interviewed on numerous shows and podcasts that reach millions of people. You have the same mindset as of those that run Communist China and ran the USSR...don't fall in lock-step with their ideals = "nut job". I am a free thinker that thinks outside of the box. I question everything I am being fed and if it doesn't pass my "sniff test"? I speak out about it and no lily-livered coward like you can do a fucking thing about it and it galls you. I am glad that it does piss you off. I love it when you go on rants when others take you to task. I can just imagine you pounding your keyboard while seething with anger. Those that know truth because they have done the work do not need to seek approval. They make their case and let the evidence stand on it's own merits and emotion doesn't play into the equation. You suffer from a severe case of arrested development and try as I may, I can't muster up any sympathy for ya.

BECAUSE "solving it" is the reason/UNBACKED justification people use for believing in god/s.
Hark!
Thanks for unwittingly agreeing with the Logical Atheist point of view.. we don't know/know yet.
On evolution we do know it is a Fact as well as still learning mechanism..
on abiogenesis.... still in the fire, though looking more like accident of extant non-living long molecule chains.

`

Last edited:
BECAUSE "solving it" is the reason/UNBACKED justification people use for believing in god/s.
Hark!
Thanks for unwittingly agreeing with the Logical Atheist point of view.. we don't know/know yet.

`
I know you want to solve it but until you do, why throw away other theories to support the one you believe in most?
I didnt unwittingly do anything. Its what i have always believed. Apparently you dont because you are doing the same thing the religious do.

`

You sure are a loser. You know there are over 250 creation stories. Do you want to teach all of them in school?

I know you want to solve it but until you do, why throw away other theories to support the one you believe in most?
I didnt unwittingly do anything. Its what i have always believed. Apparently you dont because you are doing the same thing the religious do.
Evolution is a demonstrable fact/SOLVED.
Literal Religionist reject that solved and demonstrable fact.
This thread is ON Evolution and those who deny a SOLVED fact.. and how to reach them because of their (non-Evidentiary) religious Indoctrination.
It is not a 'religion' to believe in evolution... or gravity.
Got it now 12 IQ boy?

`

Evolution is a demonstrable fact/SOLVED.
Literal Religionist reject that solved and demonstrable fact.
This thread is ON Evolution and those who deny a SOLVED fact.. and how to reach them because of their (non-Evidentiary) religious Indoctrination.
It is not a 'religion' to believe in evolution... or gravity.
Got it now 12 IQ boy?

`
WTF are you talking about?
I didnt say i did or not believe in evolution. You were discounting the Astronaut theory because it wasnt solvable yet. I was simply calling out your lack of logic.
Try to follow conversations please. Thanks.

`

You sure are a loser. You know there are over 250 creation stories. Do you want to teach all of them in school?

You're not intellectually equipped to be in this conversation. Get lost.

I didnt say i did or not believe in evolution. You were discounting the Astronaut theory because it wasnt solvable yet. I was simply calling out your lack of logic.
Astronuat Theory solves nothing.
If three men/astronauts go to the moon FROM earth...
That does not solve NOR help discover how life started in the FIRST place.
That IS ALWAYS the issue here due to the religious nut bags who post here...
and also Lump Abiogenesis in With Evolution.
`

Astronuat Theory solves nothing.
If three men/astonauts go to the moon FROM earth...
That IS ALWAYS the issue here du to the religious nutbags who post here.
`
Evolution shows how life started?

NO.
But Creationists always lump that into evolution because it is NOT yet a fact.
Evolution happened no matter how life 'sparked,' and a soon as it did.
Some like to think that the existence of life also 'evolved' from naturally occurring, non-living, complex long chain molecules that have natural tendencies to form into structures that are very much like life.
(I have TWO threads on that on THIS page) (WTF!)

`

NO.
But Creationists always lump that into evolution because it is NOT yet a fact.
Evolution happened no matter how life 'sparked,' and a soon as it did.
Some like to think that the existence of life also 'evolved' from naturally occurring, non-living, complex long chain molecules that have natural tendencies to form into structures that are very much like life.
(I have TWO threads on that on THIS page) (WTF!)

`
Then what did you mean by this
Evolution does neither of those. But that is justification for ignoring another theory? lol
As i said, you have an astounding lack of logic. And apparently consistency.

Then what did you mean by this
Evolution does neither of those. But that is justification for ignoring another theory? lol
As i said, you have an astounding lack of logic. And apparently consistency.
I was Responding to Toth who kept advocating it in THIS EVOLUTION thread.
THAT is the context and that's how it came up.
He also questioned whether man predated what evolution demonstrates are our ancestors.

If you have any experience with evo-denying freaks, you know the routine.
We have a few conspiracYsts in this thread, including religionists: the biggest conspiracy of them all.

Again..
I try and discuss the issues separately (AGAIN, TWO OPs on Abio THIS page)

You lost.
Now it's back to Mensa for me and back to MAGA for you.
`
`

Last edited:

Forum List

Back