🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

So cvs is going to stop selling tobacco

It's not a big deal. The Rightyloons just love to dictate what private businesses do even though they claim they should be free to do what they want. I know it makes your head hurt when you think about it.

As smokers can't smoke inside a CVS, all CVS is doing is driving customers who smoke to Walgreens.

It's there prerogative, but a rather silly business decision, imo.

CVS is trying to change their image. They do not want a bunch of seedy looking cigarette smokers hanging around

As smokers can't smoke inside a CVS, all CVS is doing is driving customers who smoke to Walgreens.

CVS is trying to change their image. They do not want a bunch of seedy looking cigarette smokers hanging around

But having a bunch of limp wristers in line for AZT in the pharmacy is part of their image?

But having a bunch of limp wristers in line for AZT in the pharmacy is part of their image?

You don't realize what it is like walking around a CVS with a bunch of nicotine addicts looking for their next fix.

Its their choice

No big impact on smokers. They will just buy their smokes elsewhere

This could bring more business to CVS from ex smokers. Like me. I will now look for a CVS to give my business to as opposed to a Rite Aid or some other drug store still selling cigs. I mean, why not. I know smoking is bad, that's why I quit. About time a drugstore figured that out.

I worked for these people and never found them particularly benevolent. They are getting something out of it.

Okay, someone needs to explain to me why this is such big deal. A store that is known for (in general) health decided it didn't want to sell cigarettes any more. If it also decides not to sell candy bars or mayonnaise for the same reason, that's their call. I'm sure that they'll weigh the business risks of doing so before they make a final decision.

I don't see the heavy hand of government in this. As virulently as I'm against the behaviors of Our Great & Glorious Leaders in Central Planning, this was a private decision made by a corporation. Plenty of other places sell cigs.

I agree, but if you own stock you can't be pleased CVS is leaving 2 billion in revenue on the table.

Last edited:
I may think it is stupid to stop selling a profitable item.. but hey.. private company.. their choice.. their shareholders will have a say if profits go down, and we'd see what happens then... but I don't see where this is a political issue

I may think it is stupid to stop selling a profitable item.. but hey.. private company.. their choice.. their shareholders will have a say if profits go down, and we'd see what happens then... but I don't see where this is a political issue

They are going to replace cigarettes with nicotine alternatives. They already carry full lines of gum and patches so what the replacements would be will be revealed when the new department is stocked. I would bet that CVS is getting a bit miffed that all their cigarette sales is now going over to the nearest vape shop and they will stock e-cigs and juice.

It will drive more business to tobacco shops. The best place right now to open a Cigarettes Cheaper store is right next to a CVS.

We're in CVS now and again, but I didn't even realize they sold tobacco products.

Will they stop selling alcohol and soda and candy too?

I just learned yesterday, their decision to discontinue selling tobacco products will cost them 2 billion a year. ( Someone must have really gotten to them )

Okay, someone needs to explain to me why this is such big deal. A store that is known for (in general) health decided it didn't want to sell cigarettes any more. If it also decides not to sell candy bars or mayonnaise for the same reason, that's their call. I'm sure that they'll weigh the business risks of doing so before they make a final decision.

I don't see the heavy hand of government in this. As virulently as I'm against the behaviors of Our Great & Glorious Leaders in Central Planning, this was a private decision made by a corporation. Plenty of other places sell cigs.

I agree, but if you own stock you can't be pleased CVS is leaving 2 billion in revenue on the table.

I don't know where that 2 billion figure comes from, but while I understand the idea, I'm not so sure it plays out like that.

Look at Chik Fil-A. The firestorm over that guy's remarks about gays created freakin' traffic jams with new customers in his parking lots from coast to coast.

The corporation is obligated to maximize shareholder value, and I strongly suspect they thought all angles on this through.

It will drive more business to tobacco shops. The best place right now to open a Cigarettes Cheaper store is right next to a CVS.

the shops charge more for Cigarettes.....so i doubt that....Cartons cost at least $10.00 more ....at least were i am at they do.....CVS and Arco were the cheapest,they are about the same....

Forum List

Back