So...raising the minimum wage will put busineses out of business..who have thunk it.......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here is a story from the successful war to raise minimum wage and hurt everyone.....

When Minimum-Wage Hikes Hit a San Francisco Comic-Book Store National Review Online

‘I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you.’” So says Brian Hibbs, owner and operator of Comix Experience, an iconic comic-book and graphic-novel shop on San Francisco’s Divisadero Street, of the city’s new minimum-wage law........

But that may not last. Hibbs says that the $15-an-hour minimum wage will require a staggering $80,000 in extra revenue annually. “I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.” He runs a tight operation already, he says. Comix Experience is open ten hours a day, seven days a week, with usually just one employee at each store at a time. It’s not viable to cut hours, he says, because his slowest hours are in the middle of the day. And he can’t raise prices, because comic books and graphic novels have their retail prices printed on the cover.

Screw him...the capitalist pig.....he deserves to go out of business for exploiting the workers......

Workers of the world...stop buying comic books, and luxury items....and food, and clothing...and....er....other stuff.......

Minimum wage has been raised for decades

Conservatives always sell gloom and doom stories of lost jobs that never seem to materialize

Here is a story from the successful war to raise minimum wage and hurt everyone.....
Citing one anecdotal experience leads you to believe it will hurt everyone? They are not hurting the people receiving minimum wage.

Once prices go up it will eat up the increase. It's not like minimum wages will really result in $15.00 an hour more. Taxes will go up too. How much of that $15.00 an hour will that employee really get? It won't really be enough to cover the rise in prices on everything. This business may not be able to reduce the number of employees but whatever business that can, will.

When Minimum-Wage Hikes Hit a San Francisco Comic-Book Store National Review Online

‘I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you.’” So says Brian Hibbs, owner and operator of Comix Experience, an iconic comic-book and graphic-novel shop on San Francisco’s Divisadero Street, of the city’s new minimum-wage law........

But that may not last. Hibbs says that the $15-an-hour minimum wage will require a staggering $80,000 in extra revenue annually. “I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.” He runs a tight operation already, he says. Comix Experience is open ten hours a day, seven days a week, with usually just one employee at each store at a time. It’s not viable to cut hours, he says, because his slowest hours are in the middle of the day. And he can’t raise prices, because comic books and graphic novels have their retail prices printed on the cover.

Screw him...the capitalist pig.....he deserves to go out of business for exploiting the workers......

Workers of the world...stop buying comic books, and luxury items....and food, and clothing...and....er....other stuff.......

Many customers will have more to spend. That should pay for it. How much was he previously paying these people?

No one is really going to have more to spend because what they pay for everything will go up. They will pay more at the grocery store, more for burgers and fries, more to get their car washed. The increase in the minimum wage will be added on at each stage. Because the economy is so fragile right now raising the minimum wage would fuel both inflation and unemployment.

No one is really going to have more to spend because what they pay for everything will go up. They will pay more at the grocery store, more for burgers and fries, more to get their car washed. The increase in the minimum wage will be added on at each stage. Because the economy is so fragile right now raising the minimum wage would fuel both inflation and unemployment.

Yes they will.

How much of that $15.00 an hour will that employee really get? It won't really be enough to cover the rise in prices on everything.
Are you just guessing? If not, provide your reference. If so, your comment has no value.

The dynamic....small businesses...the "Mom and Pop" stores the left claim to love....are going out of business...but the big chains..the ones who can take the hit.....will open and expand.......and the left will then bitch about the loss of the mom and pop stores....there is no making the left happy.....they are genetically unable to understand reality, and therefore will never find happiness....

Hibbs is not the first person to encounter this problem. On February 1, San Francisco’s renowned science-fiction bookstore Borderlands Books published the following on its website:

Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in princip[le] and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco — Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage. Consequently we will be closing our doors no later than March 31st.

” “Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?”

And the problem goes still deeper. While forcing hundreds of Bay Area small businesses to close, cut staff, or overhaul their practices, San Francisco lawmakers have given multimillion-dollar tax breaks to lure or keep technology giants such as Twitter and Zoosk. “There’s lots of room for the rich and the powerful,” Hibbs observes, “but, really, they’re not doing anything to help small business.”

How much of that $15.00 an hour will that employee really get? It won't really be enough to cover the rise in prices on everything.
Are you just guessing? If not, provide your reference. If so, your comment has no value.
Do you honestly think that there will be no taxes on that $15.00?
Of course not.. On average they would be paying about 10% taxes if they had no deductions. That effectively amounts to a $13.50 / hr pay check - no doubt more than they currently receive.

Minimum wage has been raised for decades

Conservatives always sell gloom and doom stories of lost jobs that never seem to materialize

Naturally. They always drastically hike it up over $5 an hour when they raise it.

images

It looks like they have two stores and need $80,000 revenue to cover. Also this doesn't go into effect till 2018. So by 2018 they need to incease sales by like $120 for each store a day. Given the comic book crowd many customers will be getting raises. I see them having no problems increasing revenue by $120 a day.

‘I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you.’

Cuz you're a fucking idiot.

I love it when the left has a moment of clarity...when their pixie dust day dreams ruin the lives of someone they like.....because they didn't think beyond the "feel good" thoughts of what they wanted to do to the reality of the actual actions their pixie dust day dreams create.......

It looks like they have two stores and need $80,000 revenue to cover. Also this doesn't go into effect till 2018. So by 2018 they need to incease sales by like $120 for each store a day. Given the comic book crowd many customers will be getting raises. I see them having no problems increasing revenue by $120 a day.

Yeah...you think a lot of things brain.....why don't you call the guy and tell him how easy he is going to have it....

There is not a direct line between higher low-end wages and business failure.

Business owners will first cut hours and positions and various incentives & benefits at those levels, then they'll look for other inefficiencies.

Last resort, then they'll raise prices. Then we'll see.

Yeah...you think a lot of things brain.....why don't you call the guy and tell him how easy he is going to have it....

The numbers speak for themselves. In 3 years with many customers all getting raises he can cover it.

There is not a direct line between higher low-end wages and business failure.

Business owners will first cut hours and positions and various incentives & benefits at those levels, then they'll look for other inefficiencies.

Last resort, then they'll raise prices. Then we'll see.

But...if they cut hours.....and cut positions....and incentives and benefits....won't we need a new law that makes them stop doing those things?...after all...if someone is fired, or loses hours...then they won't earn the new minimum wage.......

Forum List

Back