So What Happened To Blacks After Slavery?

It is completely accurate. You are here trying to argue halfstory and not history in its totality. Now what specific history did you get your degree in. Because there are many different versions. I cited the works of a professor employed by a top university with a phd in African American history. It is apparent you don't have that history as a degree or that level of knowledge..

All you've proven is that history is history.

That history shows us hundreds of thousands of foreclosures in Detroit...and hundreds of thousands of people who left Detroit. WOW, I wonder if they have anything to do with one another.

IM2, you're a joke, just a joke.

i-H85zLh5-L.jpg

Yeah, sure, OK. I understand that you can't handle the truth. And today on April 25th 2020, whites are still practicing the same racism they have practiced in America as they did on April 25, 1920.
You really feel racism in America circa 2020 is in any way comparable to racism in 1920? Come on, IM2...try to keep your nonsense at least SOMEWHAT believable!

Maybe the OP could start a thread on bringing Americans together and burying the hatchet for a while.....

History according to IM2! Let not the facts get in the way of your narrative, Kiddies!
This is United States of America history. Documented history that you can look up and verify for yourselves, if you were so inclined.
I graduated with a degree in History, Mariyam! What IM2 is spamming is simply one version of history and as usual with him...it's not a very accurate version.
It is completely accurate. You are here trying to argue halfstory and not history in its totality. Now what specific history did you get your degree in. Because there are many different versions. I cited the works of a professor employed by a top university with a phd in African American history. It is apparent you don't have that history as a degree or that level of knowledge..
I was a History major with a concentration in American History actually. What pray tell is "halfstory" and how am I arguing it? I simply pointed out that your contention that it was Southern racism causing The Great Migration was simplistic at best! Your African American history professor would be hard pressed to make that argument stand up to even a cursory examination of what took place. It's you that wants to argue half truths. You want to ignore what isn't convenient to your narrative, something that a real historian wouldn't do.
Half story. Like your rendition of history. I don't ignore anything and that African American history professor made his argument stand before a board of professors that have allowed him employment at UVA and endorse his research on such matters as to continue his employment at that university. My contention was correct. Yours was simplistic and in fact inaccurate.

Southern racism did cause the great migration. How obtuse can one person be? The civil rights cases in the 1880s basically erased the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments. Blacks had no protection under the law, they were being slaughtered, property taken by force and yet that did not cause blacks to move north? Are you insane?

On top of that, my argument was in opposition to fnnceo's claim that blacks had got reparations based on his use of the story of how blacks had land. The reality was that 600,000 black farmers got their land taken by force, intimidation or deceitful legal practices by whites before, during and after the great migration. You wanted to deny that and it is documented.

My narrative are the facts of what happened to blacks since slavery. Not what you want to pretend happened, but everything that happened. Your narrative would not stand scrutiny anywhere if you wanted to argue that the only reason blacks went north was because they were promised better paying jobs. You'd get laughed out of any serious historical discussion.

Maybe the OP could start a thread on bringing Americans together and burying the hatchet for a while.....
We will not bury anything until the damage created by continuing white racism is fixed.

IM2 is a one trick pony...and that trick ISN'T bringing Americans together!
IM2 is about America fixing the damage caused by continuing white racism. That will bring America together.

History according to IM2! Let not the facts get in the way of your narrative, Kiddies!
This is United States of America history. Documented history that you can look up and verify for yourselves, if you were so inclined.
I graduated with a degree in History, Mariyam! What IM2 is spamming is simply one version of history and as usual with him...it's not a very accurate version.
I was a History major with a concentration in American History actually. What pray tell is "halfstory" and how am I arguing it? I simply pointed out that your contention that it was Southern racism causing The Great Migration was simplistic at best! Your African American history professor would be hard pressed to make that argument stand up to even a cursory examination of what took place. It's you that wants to argue half truths. You want to ignore what isn't convenient to your narrative, something that a real historian wouldn't do.
Half story. Like your rendition of history. I don't ignore anything and that African American history professor made his argument stand before a board of professors that have allowed him employment at UVA and endorse his research on such matters as to continue his employment at that university. My contention was correct. Yours was simplistic and in fact inaccurate.

Southern racism did cause the great migration. How obtuse can one person be? The civil rights cases in the 1880s basically erased the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments. Blacks had no protection under the law, they were being slaughtered, property taken by force and yet that did not cause blacks to move north? Are you insane?

On top of that, my argument was in opposition to fnnceo's claim that blacks had got reparations based on his use of the story of how blacks had land. The reality was that 600,000 black farmers got their land taken by force, intimidation or deceitful legal practices by whites before, during and after the great migration. You wanted to deny that and it is documented.

My narrative are the facts of what happened to blacks since slavery. Not what you want to pretend happened, but everything that happened. Your narrative would not stand scrutiny anywhere if you wanted to argue that the only reason blacks went north was because they were promised better paying jobs. You'd get laughed out of any serious historical discussion.
The difference between you and I, IM2 is that I fully admit that racism existed and was extremely hard on African Americans in the South following the Civil War. But here's the problem with your claim that it was racism that caused The Great Migration. Did racism not exist from the end of the Civil War until 1920? Why the delay in blacks leaving the South? What was it that happened in 1920 that suddenly prompted this huge wave of people leaving the South? Did "racism" suddenly get worse? Did African Americans suddenly get fed up with racism?
My point is that The Great Migration wasn't driven by racism...it was driven by opportunity. World War I took away the white workers that Northern factories relied on at the same time that conflict was increasing demand for products. Blacks left the south and headed north because factories there were paying three times the average wage they could make in Dixie. Blacks left the south because working conditions were better in the north. Blacks left the south because living conditions were better in the north.

The difference between you and I, IM2 is that I fully admit that racism existed and was extremely hard on African Americans in the South following the Civil War. But here's the problem with your claim that it was racism that caused The Great Migration. Did racism not exist from the end of the Civil War until 1920? Why the delay in blacks leaving the South? What was it that happened in 1920 that suddenly prompted this huge wave of people leaving the South? Did "racism" suddenly get worse? Did African Americans suddenly get fed up with racism?
My point is that The Great Migration wasn't driven by racism...it was driven by opportunity. World War I took away the white workers that Northern factories relied on at the same time that conflict was increasing demand for products. Blacks left the south and headed north because factories there were paying three times the average wage they could make in Dixie. Blacks left the south because working conditions were better in the north. Blacks left the south because living conditions were better in the north.

The great migration was caused by racism and no matter what you contend that is a fact. Blacks had been escaping to the north during slavery so there really was no delay. But the argument I was making was based on fnnceos claim of blacks being given reparations because of the fact they had land. I posted 600,000 black farmers got their land taken and you jumped in with
the they didn't get their land taken, they decided to move north because of better jobs argument. You have been shown that the brutal treatment of blacks precipitated the mass migration north.

Whites such as you always want to argue how racism never causes anything. You admit there was racism, but racism never is the cause of anything. Living conditions were said to be better in the north because the perception was that the north was not racist. Therefore racism was the reason why the migration happened. Racism in the south included the refusal to give blacks decent pay, but that just skips right by you because you want to tell a black person how racism doesn't matter.

Everything tied to the movement of blacks north is rooted in the racism that existed in the south oldstyle, so to say racism is what caused the great migration is correct.

This thread is specifically about what the government of these united states did to blacks after the years of slavery up until right now.

The republicans here want to take credit for ending slavery while simultaneously telling us that they should not be held responsible for what their ancestors did before they were born. In standard republican fashion everybody else must take responsibility but them. However in the 150 or so years after slavery things have happened that most of these guys don't want to discuss. It is time to take a look at what has happened.

Lincoln signed words on a piece of paper but were those words actually honored?

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

But blacks were free, right?

Now if anyone goes off topic, I expect the post to be eliminated .

You know, when I fuck up (it happens on occasion) I take full responsibility for that fuck up.

I've done nothing to blacks.

Nothing.

Accordingly, I'll be damned if I'm going to take responsibility for something someone did before I was born.

It would be the height of stupidity to do something like that.

What's your stance on reparations, IM2?

The great migration was caused by racism and no matter what you contend that is a fact. Blacks had been escaping to the north during slavery so there really was no delay. But the argument I was making was based on fnnceos claim of blacks being given reparations because of the fact they had land. I posted 600,000 black farmers got their land taken and you jumped in with
the they didn't get their land taken, they decided to move north because of better jobs argument. You have been shown that the brutal treatment of blacks precipitated the mass migration north.

Whites such as you always want to argue how racism never causes anything. You admit there was racism, but racism never is the cause of anything. Living conditions were said to be better in the north because the perception was that the north was not racist. Therefore racism was the reason why the migration happened. Racism in the south included the refusal to give blacks decent pay, but that just skips right by you because you want to tell a black person how racism doesn't matter.

Everything tied to the movement of blacks north is rooted in the racism that existed in the south oldstyle, so to say racism is what caused the great migration is correct.
You didn't address my question. Why didn't it happen BEFORE 1920?

The answer to that is rather obvious and it has little to do with "racism"! It's about economic opportunity. Before World War I broke out blacks weren't needed to fill factory jobs in the north. The reason The Great Migration begins in 1920 instead of 1900 or 1890 is that demand for labor didn't exist in the north earlier than that! You don't have a counter argument to that though...do you?

So when is it that you're going to "school" me, IM2? Quite frankly, I'm not seeing it! :)

This thread is specifically about what the government of these united states did to blacks after the years of slavery up until right now.

The republicans here want to take credit for ending slavery while simultaneously telling us that they should not be held responsible for what their ancestors did before they were born. In standard republican fashion everybody else must take responsibility but them. However in the 150 or so years after slavery things have happened that most of these guys don't want to discuss. It is time to take a look at what has happened.

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

The attitudes of Republicans have not changed. They keep their prejudices secret under their MAGA hats.

Not really.

The attitudes of Republicans have not changed. They keep their prejudices secret under their MAGA hats.
I think you are transferring your evil prejudices on to others....the KKK always blamed the blacks for their hatred of them....you are the new KKK...and America said screw that....and voted for Trump...and we will do just that again in November.....Progs have lost...we kicked your ideology to the curb...

Not really.

I think you are transferring your evil prejudices on to others....the KKK always blamed the blacks for their hatred of them....you are the new KKK...and America said screw that....and voted for Trump...and we will do just that again in November.....Progs have lost...we kicked your ideology to the curb...

I accept the blame for the fact that you are a racist, bigoted, extremist with a mouth bigger than your brain.

I apologize for your wretched condition.

Not really.

I accept the blame for the fact that you are a racist, bigoted, extremist with a mouth bigger than your brain.

I apologize for your wretched condition.
Guess I nailed you....

Some of you whites here have a real bad habit of trying to argue with blacks about how we have interpreted history. You fail to understand that by me being almost 60, that most of the things I say about blacks come in my opinion based on what we saw and what older blacks told us as we grew up while actually participating in some of the activities you whites have read in books. Correll for example continues having a running argument with katsteve about the civil rights movement when katsteve was an actual participated in activities in that movement. katsteve saw what happened to his parents during desegregation live and with a front row seat. He did not take a class to learn about it.

My farther was a Baptist minister, he was a community leader in civil rights in our town. My parents, grandmother and great uncle on my dads side and uncle on my moms moved north as part of the great migration. They told us kids all about how things were in the south. My moms sister lived in the south her entire life so did one of my uncles on my moms side. When we visited them, they told us how things were as children and we saw how things were and are now.

This gaslighting by some whites here whereby they try telling us that everything we say didn't happen and only what they say did is just not going to be tolerated. Things did not happen as you say and the information I use is 100 percent historically correct .

My disagreement with Katstevie was not about the events of the time but what they reflected on the internal beliefs of the republicans of the time.

ie, he felt that the republicans of the time were insulting the blacks of the time.

If you are going to quote me, at least be honest. I specifically stated that GOLDWATERS position on the civil rights act, was an insult to black citizens, and resulted in many blacks exiting the GOP.

And it absolutely was.

And I pointed out that it was not meant that way. And that the choice to take it as an insult, was their choice, nothing to do with his intent.

My perspective on what Goldwater meant by his words, is just as valid as yours. IM2's, pretense that you have special insight into an old dead white guy's internal thought processes, because of your black skin,

is racist and absurd.

That is some ignorant BULLSHIT.

If a politician who is running for president voted AGAINST YOU having the most basic rights of citizenship, because of "government overreach" you would have been outraged, and you know it.

You weren't even alive during that era, and have no first hand experience with the sentiments of ANY of this countries black citizens in 1964, and it appears not even NOW.

All that you did was make a retrospective politically partisan comment that made no sense whatsoever.

Your "perspective" is invalid.

Last edited:
"My disagreement with Katstevie was not about the events of the time but what they reflected on the internal beliefs of the republicans of the time.

ie, he felt that the republicans of the time were insulting the blacks of the time."

Since katsteve was a black of that time, I do think he can more accurately state how blacks of that time felt than you can. You see Correll, whites like you have lived with the delusion that blacks have been satisfied and happy with things when in fact we were very pissed off. During that same time of Goldwater, whites actually believed that there was no race problem and southern whites felt blacks were happy in the jim crow system and that the only reason why blacks were opposing it was due to northern liberal agitators telling them how to think. Katsteve was right as that is what older blacks like my parents were talking about during that same time. It is why blacks who were still republicans left the republican party and because the party still reflects Goldwaters extremism, we remain democrats now.

As you can see, "HE" totally misrepresented what I actually stated, which is why I do not typically engage in any conversation with "him".

And, you can rest assured that if "HE" was transported back to 1964, and the roles were reversed, "HE" would be outraged over someone running for president voting no to him having the basic rights of citizenship.

Some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. All in the name of defending a dead member of a political party.

Last edited:

Not really.

Wrong.

Not really.

You know, when I fuck up (it happens on occasion) I take full responsibility for that fuck up.

I've done nothing to blacks.

Nothing.

Accordingly, I'll be damned if I'm going to take responsibility for something someone did before I was born.

It would be the height of stupidity to do something like that.

What's your stance on reparations, IM2?
Another ignorant comment from a white person doing the same thing the generations of whites before him did while talking about not being responsible for what he wasn't around for. This thread is about what government at every level has done to blacks since slavery to include this very second. Not reparations. You take responsibility for the effects of the revolutionary war, whites here tell me how grateful I am to be to a republican president for something he did before you were born, so you can just forget about that silly argument here.

Forum List

Back