So Where Does the 1st Amendment End?

Clear as a bell ... Imminent lawless action - Wikipedia ...

Remember, the Right of Free Speech belongs to the OWNER of the property ... we can only speak here on the USMB by the owners' leave ... they have the right to regulate on their own message boards ...

You don't have "right to free speech" on the message board. You forfeit that right once you agree to terms and conditions when you sign up. The only rights you have here are those you agree to when you join.
But it was not Tic Tok that punished them, Tic Tok Toc did not regulate them

I was talking about message board, as reply to previous poster.

TikTok did not punish them, but they would remove their video if is against terms they agree on when they sign up. Since video is not removed, they probably haven't. Terms on TikTok have nothing to do with free speech or with the school.

Yelling fire in a crowded theater endangers people.

What about saying something people don’t like? Can the government punish you for speech made in your home and gets put on the Internet that is not violent, but racist?

One school district thinks it can.
Remember- the schools are closed until at best next September.

Wish I had a nickel for every stupid thing a teen said in the past year.

My wife was getting her hair done for a big upcoming birthday when the police raided the place. My wife and the owner were the only 2 in the shop each wearing masks and gloves.

Someone fucking called the fucking police.

Snitches get stitches.

What about saying something people don’t like? Can the government punish you for speech made in your home and gets put on the Internet that is not violent, but racist?

First amendment never said what you say can’t have consequences
Good to know you won’t complain when the government revokes your driver’s license for what you post.

Yea.....let em try

From my cold, dead hands.....

Where does it say you can?

Congress shall pass no laws.....

Just proving you can take the redneck out of the trailer park but you can't take the...well, you get the idea. It amazes me that people think you can just say anything you want and not have any repercussions. It doesn't matter if they were on school grounds or even it wasn't during school hours. They are deemed as representing the school. And if the school deems a certain code of conduct in violation, even if it's just bad publicity and press, see ya. You can't have it both ways here. Sure, you have the right to free speech. But there are limits. The school has every right not to tolerate it. This isn't a stupid thing said. This is upbringing. It's friggin 2020. Anyway, no big loss. These two don't look smart enough to even pass their GED.

Here's the relevant part of the article,
Carrollton High Principal David Brooks said that even if the video was recorded at home, “it doesn’t alleviate the students’ responsibility to uphold a high standard of behavior.”
They got nothing to sue on. Maybe they'll learn something from this but I doubt it.

What a load of crap.

"people think you can just say anything you want and not have any repercussions"

Free speech is people's constitutional right. If people didn't break the law, they can say whatever they want. If you don't like it, that's your problem, you don't have to listen.

Again, free speech has its limits. You are free to say whatever you want. Any organization or employer that you belong to has the right to expel or can your worthless ass for what you say or do.
Deal with it. The courts have upheld this.

No, free speech has no limits, otherwise it wouldn't be free speech.

What you're confused is where you have a free speech. You even have it at your work place, because nobody can prosecute you for things you say, although you may lose a job if you're not behaving within rules of the company, but that has nothing to do with a free speech, but with the power of contract. You will respect company rules if you want job there.

My wife was getting her hair done for a big upcoming birthday when the police raided the place. My wife and the owner were the only 2 in the shop each wearing masks and gloves.

Someone fucking called the fucking police.

Snitches get stitches.

I read this post twice, and still trying to find connection with the OP. None found.

So Where Does the 1st Amendment End?
The same point as intelligence.

Where does it say you can?

Congress shall pass no laws.....

Okay, so why there are consequences for those two?

It ends where the democrats say it ends...

Just proving you can take the redneck out of the trailer park but you can't take the...well, you get the idea. It amazes me that people think you can just say anything you want and not have any repercussions. It doesn't matter if they were on school grounds or even it wasn't during school hours. They are deemed as representing the school. And if the school deems a certain code of conduct in violation, even if it's just bad publicity and press, see ya. You can't have it both ways here. Sure, you have the right to free speech. But there are limits. The school has every right not to tolerate it. This isn't a stupid thing said. This is upbringing. It's friggin 2020. Anyway, no big loss. These two don't look smart enough to even pass their GED.

Carrollton High Principal David Brooks said that even if the video was recorded at home, “it doesn’t alleviate the students’ responsibility to uphold a high standard of behavior.”
They got nothing to sue on. Maybe they'll learn something from this but I doubt it.

What a load of crap.

"people think you can just say anything you want and not have any repercussions"

Free speech is people's constitutional right. If people didn't break the law, they can say whatever they want. If you don't like it, that's your problem, you don't have to listen.

Again, free speech has its limits. You are free to say whatever you want. Any organization or employer that you belong to has the right to expel or can your worthless ass for what you say or do.

What you're confused is where you have a free speech. You even have it at your work place, because nobody can prosecute you for things you say, although you may lose a job if you're not behaving within rules of the company, but that has nothing to do with a free speech, but with the power of contract. You will respect company rules if you want job there.

Uhh well, it depends on what you say. You could be very well prosecuted for something you say at work. I've seen it in action. Simply put, these two asshats aren't being prosecuted. They got expelled. Same type of thing if you did this as an adult and your employer frowned on it. Again, free speech has its limits. There are no guarantees you won't suffer consequences.

What a load of crap.

Uhh well, it depends on what you say. You could be very well prosecuted for something you say at work. I've seen it in action. Simply put, these two asshats aren't being prosecuted. They got expelled. Same type of thing if you did this as an adult and your employer frowned on it. Again, free speech has its limits. There are no guarantees you won't suffer consequences.

"I've seen it in action."

What have you seen? Give me an example.

You can't be prosecuted if you didn't break the law.

What about year long schools?

Schools often expel badly behaved students. Let them find a school that welcomes racists.

Maybe in UK where you have no free speech, faggot.
Nobody stopped them expressing themselves. Why are you wetting your pants over this ?

They are denied graduation in public school, and public schools have no right to do so.

I don't expect from British faggot to understand that, because you don't have free speech right, and you don't know what it means.

Another Canadian commie trying to school us on our constitution.........

Clear as a bell ... Imminent lawless action - Wikipedia ...

Remember, the Right of Free Speech belongs to the OWNER of the property ... we can only speak here on the USMB by the owners' leave ... they have the right to regulate on their own message boards ...

No, the right of free speech belongs to people. You may willingly forfeit that right on private property, when you enter into the agreement with property owner.

In the case from OP, owner of the property is public, so it's public education (service) that is denied to them due to what they said.

Just as speech in a school can be somewhat regulated by the school administration, so too can speech regarding the company you work for. It isn't a crime to speak out against the company you work for or the school you attend, but as it reflects negatively on the company or school, they are within their rights to fire or expel/suspend you. Free speech has consequences to those expressing their views; such consequences can be positive or negative to the speaker.
However, unless what is said, rises to a level of seriously endangering others, such as the "yelling fire in a crowded theater," or making direct threats of violence in front of witnesses, the government must stay out of the issue, otherwise you end up living in a Marxist/Leninist or otherwise Authoritarian government, which is oppressive.

So the government can deny you a drivers license for what you post on USMB?

States govern drivers licenses. What's with all the false equivalencies?
Make a fair comparison. For example.
The government can deny you a security clearance for posts and speech deemed a security risk to the United States.
A business can fire an employee for posts or speech detrimental to the businesses code of conduct.
Government is government. You’re advocating they take action against speech.

Point us to that section of the government that decrees Carrollton High School is part of it.

Forum List

Back