So you are squad leader being chased by the bad guys... you and your group jump in your EV jeep and guess what?

never said thats what they are there for,, just that they are there and can be used as charging stations,,
Yeah, so? It still makes no sense. Why would you want to limit ICE military vehicles and then have to use ICE generators to charge them?

Back in the 1970's, the Department of Defense became concerned that too many people were developing Operating Systems and Programming Languages that were incompatible with each other. Because the military feared this would lead to confusion (particularly in dispensing lucrative military contracts for software), the DOD declared that all software purchased by any military organization must use the higher-order programming language ADA (named after Ada Lovelace, mistress of Charles Babbage, inventor of an early mechanical calculator). Initially, a few companies (that are no longer around) got onboard and developed some mainframe platforms that used the ADA environment and the ADA language requirement became is MIL-SPEC (a standard to which everything the military buys must adhere).

Fast forward to 1990, where the military, like every other organization in the world, was dying to to get PCs into the office. The problems was, companies like Microsoft and Apple had no interest in ADA. They developed their own, far superior, OS' and software that didn't bother with ADA or the MIL-SPEC. No ADA software was ever created that could run a PC.

So, the DOD, in it's infinite wisdom, said, "OK, you can buy PC's and software off of a government contract, but only the brands we say BUT, you will need a approved waiver for to purchase non MIL-SPEC". So, whole departments were created simply to process waivers for military units to buy PC.

The moral of this story is ... when they need to, the military will go around their own rules to buy whatever they need in theater. If there are no EVs that can perform the military mission as well as ICE vehicles by 2050, which I suspect will be true, then they will just go out and buy ICE vehicles but they will just add more paperwork to make it seem that they aren't breaking their own rules.
Oh god, this is so true.

The inefficiency of military acquisitions is truly insane.

actually youre wrong,, afgan was full of charging stations in the form of military generators

In fact, only Level 1 Charging (the slowest form of charge) is available from a standard military or commercial generator. A standard diesel generator delivers between 12 to 16 Amps of continuous power. At that levels of output, a Level 1 charger is estimated to deliver between 3.5 and 6.5 miles of range per hour of charging.

Level 2 and DC charging stations are purpose built devices.

Of course, they could just take the big cans of diesel fuel they use to run the generator and pour it into the fuel tanks of a HMMWV or tank. It can be done in just a few minutes.

The US Army is going electric – and wants to be net-zero by 2050​

But the EV batteries are not charged! You can't go anywhere!
Unlike the earlier jeeps with their extra tanks of gas in US Green Metal Gas Jerry Can Army Military Fuel 5 Gallon US Jeep.
So will these new EV jeeps carry extra batteries?
Also will the new EV jeeps get charged at night from local utilities?
Where will this electricity come from to charge the EV jeeps?

View attachment 729215
That work great during an EMP.

In fact, only Level 1 Charging (the slowest form of charge) is available from a standard military or commercial generator. A standard diesel generator delivers between 12 to 16 Amps of continuous power. At that levels of output, a Level 1 charger is estimated to deliver between 3.5 and 6.5 miles of range per hour of charging.

Of course, they could just take the big cans of diesel fuel they use to run the generator and pour it into the fuel tanks of a HMMWV or tank. It can be done in just a few minutes.
Maybe they can call 'time out' while they charge up for hours?

Yeah, so? It still makes no sense. Why would you want to limit ICE military vehicles and then have to use ICE generators to charge them?
I never said it was a good idea,, I just pointed out they were there in plenty,,

and I made it clear I thought electric would be good for fast moving silent vehicles for covert missions but stupid for fleet use,,

you think the military doesnt have the knowledge and money to fix that problem??

I hope not,,

you think the military doesnt have the knowledge and money to fix that problem??

I hope not,,

You mean the problem the military itself created by insisting on using a vehicle that won't work in the theater of operations? No, I'm pretty sure they don't.

If you mean the problem of figuring out how to put the generator fuel into vehicles that actually work ... I suspect the boots on the ground will sort that out pretty quickly.

The best thing about our military is that the soldiers always seem to figure out ways to fix the problems that generals and politicians create for them.

That work great during an EMP.
That's a very good point!

EMP weapons could wipe out electric grid, impacting cars, water and cell phones​

Here in Georgia, there are plenty of potential targets including Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the Port of Savannah and Plant Vogtle.

One day you could wake up and your lights won’t turn on, and you can’t log into your bank account.

“I ain’t work this hard for nothing for someone to zap my money,” said Ila Thomas, who lives in Forest Park.

It sounds like the plot of a scary sci-fi movie, but it could actually happen.

“We’d be like cave people,” Thomas said.

actually youre wrong,, afgan was full of charging stations in the form of military generators
And what did the military generators used to turn the rotors that make the electricity?
the agency supplied more than 2.8 billion gallons of fuel to support U.S. military operations in Afghanistan at a cost of more than $13 billion from fiscal year (FY) 2008 through FY 2016.
hmmm... cost per gallon of $4.64 per gallon.
So how much was used for electric charging stations?

Afghanistan’s $335 Million Power Plant Is a Waste of Space​

Afghanistan imports a lot of its energy from Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, which is expensive. To help the country and its energy-hungry capital generate its own power, the United States Agency for International Development forked over $335 million to build a fancy new power plant.

And what did the military generators used to turn the rotors that make the electricity?
the agency supplied more than 2.8 billion gallons of fuel to support U.S. military operations in Afghanistan at a cost of more than $13 billion from fiscal year (FY) 2008 through FY 2016.
hmmm... cost per gallon of $4.64 per gallon.
So how much was used for electric charging stations?

Afghanistan’s $335 Million Power Plant Is a Waste of Space​

Afghanistan imports a lot of its energy from Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, which is expensive. To help the country and its energy-hungry capital generate its own power, the United States Agency for International Development forked over $335 million to build a fancy new power plant.

when did I say anything about what they run on or the cost of anything??

Interestingly enough, the Army is looking at a hybrid diesel tank that uses less fuel than current tanks.

The AbramsX comes loaded with features typical of modern military weapons. Powered by a hybrid electric diesel engine, it’s lighter and far more fuel-efficient than current gas-guzzling Abrams tanks. It can also operate with a smaller crew and has artificial intelligence systems to spot enemies, its creators said.

Forum List

Back