Some dude at the grocery store starts talking to me about coronavirus...

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
We talk about the possible shutdown of the U.S/Canada border with all the worries, he then tells me that Mexicans laughed at Trump when he built the wall and said "we've got planes". I tell him "and then Trump replied, we have missiles".

Dude then tells me "this is like living in a really scary movie (as we look at all the empty shelves) and then suddenly says, "I don't want to live anymore". I realize this guy is going off the deep end with this Conoravirus stuff.

"Speak for yourself man" I reply, "I'm gonna try to make it", I grab a box of cereal and walk away

Just the craziest stuff going on, all the Nervous Nellies feel free to let their guard down now that they feel the world is coming to an end. You can smell the fear and uneasiness in the air.

Last edited:
We have supplies I just don't know if we will run out. But then there is not much I can do about it.

We talk about the possible shutdown of the U.S/Canada border with all the worries, he then tells me that Mexicans laughed at Trump when he built the wall and said "we've got planes". I tell him "and then Trump replied, we have missiles".

Dude then tells me "this is like living in a really scaring movie (as we look at all the empty shelves) and then suddenly says, "I don't want to live anymore". I realize this guy is going off the deep end with this Conoravirus stuff.

"Speak for yourself man" I reply, "I'm gonna try to make it", I grab a box of cereal and walk away

Just the craziest stuff going on, all the Nervous Nellies feel free to let their guard down now that they feel the world is coming to an end. You can smell the fear and uneasiness in the air.
Snowflakes are melting......

Who in the world would engage in a conversation with a "strange dude" in a grocery store about the political and border implications of a pandemic except a polite Canadian?

Dude then tells me "this is like living in a really scaring movie (as we look at all the empty shelves) and then suddenly says, "I don't want to live anymore". I realize this guy is going off the deep end with this Conoravirus stuff.

I realize this is a serious situation, and a dangerous virus.

But I dunno. This all seems a bit much.

Who in the world would engage in a conversation with a "strange dude" in a grocery store about the political and border implications of a pandemic except a polite Canadian?

Precisely. We were both in the meat section and we looked around at how barren it was. That was how it started. Sort of as in "can you believe this?" as we looked at one another. Then the new border creed came up as it relates to this. I told him we have to worry about the border closing as we rely on Mexican and U.S vegetables too.

Peameal bacon (I think you guys refer to it as "Canadian Bacon") was going for $9-13 for a small slab, I can sometimes get it for $3 for the same size. Most of the stuff that is left is full/premium price, except margarine, that sort of thing. Only a few premium Omega eggs left, at a ridiculous price.

I'm one of those polite guys and I think people feel comfortable around me, shooting the breeze. I also try to lead by example, show a relaxed exterior, try to be helpful to others. The odd thing was, after I grabbed the cereal and walked away he looked at me as if he wanted to keep chatting. Come on man, grab your stuff and go home if you are so worried.

Also, what makes this even more absurd, is Canada has had 4 deaths total to date. I think 3 of them from an Old Age home. I feel for them obviously, but we aren't like Spain, Italy, France, Iran etc. We are slightly proportionally lower in our deaths than the U.S. Let's get a grip.

Scary yes, no need to go insane in the process and look back at it and say "why did I lose myself?". Nobody wants to catch this, but let's not go overboard.

Last edited:
The world NEEDS this virus.

Precisely. We were both in the meat section and we looked around at how barren it was. That was how it started. Sort of as in "can you believe this?" as we looked at one another. Then the new border creed came up as it relates to this. I told him we have to worry about the border closing as we rely on Mexican and U.S vegetables too.

Peameal bacon (I think you guys refer to it as "Canadian Bacon") was going for $9-13 for a small slab, I can sometimes get it for $3 for the same size. Most of the stuff that is left is full/premium price, except margarine, that sort of thing. Only a few premium Omega eggs left, at a ridiculous price.

I'm one of those polite guys and I think people feel comfortable around me, shooting the breeze. I also try to lead by example, show a relaxed exterior, try to be helpful to others. The odd thing was, after I grabbed the cereal and walked away he looked at me as if he wanted to keep chatting. Come on man, grab your stuff and go home if you are so worried.

Also, what makes this even more absurd, if Canada has had 4 deaths total to date. I think 3 of them from an Old Age home. I feel for them obviously, but we aren't like Spain, Italy, France, Iran etc. We are slightly proportionally lower in our deaths than the U.S. Let's get a grip.

Scary yes, no need to go insane in the process and look back at it and say "why did I lose myself?". Nobody wants to catch this, but let's not go overboard.
I directed my wife to shop two weeks ago. I saw this coming as the hand to mouth hordes of meat puppets always react the same.

Dude then tells me "this is like living in a really scary movie (as we look at all the empty shelves) and then suddenly says, "I don't want to live anymore". I realize this guy is going off the deep end with this Conoravirus stuff.

The undercurrent of just barely controlled primal human savagery has been quite palpable the last couple of times we've gone out in public. A few more notches on the old elastic band of human civilization and people just might revert to herd terror mode and start doing the unthinkable; tensile strength limited. Fascinating, isn't it? How we're always living just a few steps from pandemonium and Stone Age brand chaos—even at the heights of this "modern" world of ours. Let the good times roll. Meanwhile I'm gonna go hand load a few thousand more rounds . . .

But then there is not much I can do about it.

Sure there is ...

c0a55d985e92b55372dc1383baf26177a15c603c085744979d942a70bf4d6cf9.jpg

I usually buy bulk TP online. I got about 200 rolls and usually keep things stocked up. Just for grins I looked today and it's all out of stock.

I usually buy bulk TP online. I got about 200 rolls and usually keep things stocked up. Just for grins I looked today and it's all out of stock.
200 rolls...200? Who in the fuck keeps 200 rolls of shit paper?

He's been preparing for this moment for two decades. "Hah, laugh at my toilet paper now you fools!"

Maybe drive around and toss a roll or two out the window, show you really don't care. Could start a mob.

Well, he IS polite. This is what polite people do.

This. Wife and I were in a Target yesterday and you could cut the tension with a knife. People running out with carts of toilet paper and paper towels furtively looking askance if the person walking past you wasn't six feet away.

By the way, what make and model of cereal was it?

I'm so old I actually recall when we used to use toilet paper by spreading it all around our enemies house and trees.

Forum List

Back