Some Thoughts About Robin Williams Suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
We can and should honor Robin for all his fine contributions to the world of entertainment, and any charitable endevours he might have had. We should also express condolences to his family, who now suffer his loss.

We should not honor however the way he wrecked his life, and those of his wonderful wife and family. I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis. But this is a guy who did this to himself - with alcohol and drugs, and wound up hurting others in the process.

Depression ? This guy had fame, fortune, the admiration of millions of fans for his great talents, and a wonderful family. No way this guy should have gone out this way. Thousands of people are homeless and hungry, and they don't commit suicide. The Iraqi Tazidis are stranded on a mountain, in 120 degree heat, homeless, hungry, and surrounded by ISIS killer lunatics, and they're hanging in there.

Lesson to be had > KIDS. If you must drink, do it occasionally and in moderation, and don't do ANY recreational drugs, and take prescription drugs only if/whenever absolutely necessary.

I had not heard he was bipolar.

Nonetheless, he had struggled with depression for decades and hope he is now at peace.

Robin Williams was bipolar.

He dealt on a daily basis with more monsters than you will in a lifetime.

For the benefit of those who do not want to remain ignorant:

NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy

Regards from Rosie

Thank you.

This idea that clinical depression is the same as getting the blues because your dog died is utterly ridiculous.

Robin Williams suffered from a mental illness. It cost him his life.

I celebrate his art and I celebrate the new awareness his death will, hopefully, bring concerning mental illness.

We can and should honor Robin for all his fine contributions to the world of entertainment, and any charitable endevours he might have had. We should also express condolences to his family, who now suffer his loss.

We should not honor however the way he wrecked his life, and those of his wonderful wife and family. I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis. But this is a guy who did this to himself - with alcohol and drugs, and wound up hurting others in the process.

Depression ? This guy had fame, fortune, the admiration of millions of fans for his great talents, and a wonderful family. No way this guy should have gone out this way. Thousands of people are homeless and hungry, and they don't commit suicide. The Iraqi Tazidis are stranded on a mountain, in 120 degree heat, homeless, hungry, and surrounded by ISIS killer lunatics, and they're hanging in there.

Lesson to be had > KIDS. If you must drink, do it occasionally and in moderation, and don't do ANY recreational drugs, and take prescription drugs only if/whenever absolutely necessary.

Yes, the discussion of his death is as a lesson, of course those who die and are injured serving this country are mourned; yet some young people, those who have relatives lost in the fog of alcohol, should not drink at all. Medication is never a toy, only as prescribed, and as needed.

Daddy Boo-Boo, Grampyampy, Dona Sue no no, I miss all three of you...

His career was essentially over. Not because he wasn't good enough or talented enough but because the same people that decided that reality shows were the bestest decided it was over for him about a decade ago. That's not a good mix with depression.

It is not at all surprising that Robin went out this way. Under all of the humor, was a sad man. An insecure man who had to constantly be in the spotlight. Rest in peace, Robin, the pain is over. Thank you for all of the laughs. Bringing humor into this world is an important attribute.

I touched on this yesterday, but depression and stand-up comedy go nearly hand in hand.

The fact that someone wants to perform is a sign that they are likely to suffer from depression, mood swings, bipolar, etc.

These people need the constant approval that a live audience gives them. It is a hunger that must be quenched, and often, between the performances, the laughter, applause and approval, you'll find these people drowning in sorrow, often medicating with booze and or illicit drugs.
As long as the laughter and applause is there, they are on cloud nine. When it's not, the sky is gray, and these people enter the category of being a candidate for suicide.

NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy

Regards from Rosie

1. You don't know what I deal with.

2. I deal with far more than Robin Williams ever did (bipolar or no bipolar)

Each one of us deals with life in our own way. I hope you succed in dealing with what you have to deal with, but you can't minimize what others have to deal with because they're not you. Mental illness is nothing to trivialize, and each individual copes with (or doesn't cope with) it differently. Some end up not being able to cope at all. It's not about toughness when we're talking about disease.

Regards from Rosie

Thank you.

This idea that clinical depression is the same as getting the blues because your dog died is utterly ridiculous.

I celebrate his art and I celebrate the new awareness his death will, hopefully, bring concerning mental illness.

I agree, but just add that his mental illness was likely from drugs and alcohol, and people (especially kids) should be wary. Too many good people have died this way at much too young an age, and it is regrettable (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Frankie Lymon, Gram Parsons, Elvis Presly, etc.)

Regards from Rosie

Thank you.

I agree, but just add that his mental illness was likely from drugs and alcohol, and people (especially kids) should be wary. Too many good people have died this way at much too young an age, and it is regrettable (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Frankie Lymon, Gram Parsons, Elvis Presly, etc.)

You have no way of knowing whether his mental illness stemmed from his substance abuse or whether his substance abuse stemmed from his mental illness. We do know that he still suffered from his mental illness when he was sober, so that points to the substance abuse being him self-medicating.

Yes, everyone (especially kids) should be very wary of drugs and alcohol. I agree with you there.

Last edited:
His problems were his own. He victimized no one and he found his own solution. It's none of our fucking business. It is the business of him and his.

Regards from Rosie

Thank you.

Alcohol is a drug, and a deadly one. Rather than cause his illness, drugs made it worse, I believe.

Regards from Rosie

I dare say that you don't know what Robin Williams dealt with either. So you have no way of comparing.

I am not minimizing anything you have dealt with. I am just pointing out that comparing is both impossible and inaccurate.

Thank you.

You have no way of knowing whether his mental illness stemmed from his substance abuse or whether his substance abuse stemmed from his mental illness. We do know that he still suffered from his mental illness when he was sober, so that points to the substance abuse being him self-medicating.

Yes, everyone (especially kids) should be very wary of drugs and alcohol. I agree with you there.

Among the dozens of media reports that have been flowing like Niagra Falls, there were a few that stated that his mental problems came from alcohol and drug abuse. True, they aren't 100% confirmed reports at this point. It would not seem to be an unlikely scenario. Maybe we'll hear from Robin's doctors at some point. In any event, my primary point was for the kids to be cautious with alcohol/drugs.

Regards from Rosie

I dare say that you don't know what Robin Williams dealt with either. So you have no way of comparing.

I am not minimizing anything you have dealt with. I am just pointing out that comparing is both impossible and inaccurate.

No, it's not impossible to compare. I'm not comparing in a totaled up quantitative sense.
I compare that I never had the wealth Robin had. I did have poverty (at one stage in my life). I have had military injuries (both psychological and physical), and my injuries came as a result of a military draft in 1964, rather than what Robin imposed on himself, if his drug problems caused his health problems, which is not unlikely. As a disabled veteran, I live with my injuries month in and month out. Have had 7 surgeries this year alone. That's an "accurate" count. Some comparisons can be made, and I probably wouldn't have even mentioned my "monsters" had this subject not been brought up by Rosie S, which induced my response.

Last edited:
Robin was sober for 20 years. His substance abuse problems were a symptom, not a cause of his mental illness.

No, it's not impossible to compare. I'm not comparing in a totaled up quantitative sense.
I compare that I never had the wealth Robin had. I did have poverty (at one stage in my life). I have had military injuries (both psychological and physical), and my injuries came as a result of a military draft in 1964, rather than what Robin imposed on himself, if his drug problems caused his health problems, which is not unlikely. As a disabled veteran, I live with my injuries month in and month out. Have had 7 surgeries this year alone. That's an "accurate" count. Some comparisons can be made.

Wealth has little to do with mental illness. Since you do not know what sort of mental illnesses he faced or the details of much of his life, the comparison is not valid.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Meathead said, "His problems were his own. He victimized no one and he found his own solution. It's none of our fucking business. It is the business of him and his.".

I also do not see the point of judging his actions or trying to play "My life is tougher than his" in this thread.

My point is that you do not know. Robin Williams did not victimize anyone. He helped people. His solution may not be yours, but that does not mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back