Some Thoughts About Robin Williams Suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can and should honor Robin for all his fine contributions to the world of entertainment, and any charitable endevours he might have had. We should also express condolences to his family, who now suffer his loss.

We should not honor however the way he wrecked his life, and those of his wonderful wife and family. I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis. But this is a guy who did this to himself - with alcohol and drugs, and wound up hurting others in the process.

Depression ? This guy had fame, fortune, the admiration of millions of fans for his great talents, and a wonderful family. No way this guy should have gone out this way. Thousands of people are homeless and hungry, and they don't commit suicide. The Iraqi Tazidis are stranded on a mountain, in 120 degree heat, homeless, hungry, and surrounded by ISIS killer lunatics, and they're hanging in there.

Lesson to be had > KIDS. If you must drink, do it occasionally and in moderation, and don't do ANY recreational drugs, and take prescription drugs only if/whenever absolutely necessary.

Unless you have experience depression for yourself, kindly shut the fuck up.

Thank you.

We can and should honor Robin for all his fine contributions to the world of entertainment, and any charitable endevours he might have had. We should also express condolences to his family, who now suffer his loss.

We should not honor however the way he wrecked his life, and those of his wonderful wife and family. I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis. But this is a guy who did this to himself - with alcohol and drugs, and wound up hurting others in the process.

Depression ? This guy had fame, fortune, the admiration of millions of fans for his great talents, and a wonderful family. No way this guy should have gone out this way. Thousands of people are homeless and hungry, and they don't commit suicide. The Iraqi Tazidis are stranded on a mountain, in 120 degree heat, homeless, hungry, and surrounded by ISIS killer lunatics, and they're hanging in there.

Lesson to be had > KIDS. If you must drink, do it occasionally and in moderation, and don't do ANY recreational drugs, and take prescription drugs only if/whenever absolutely necessary.

Unless you have experience depression for yourself, kindly shut the fuck up.

Thank you.

I already mentioned that I did have it. Try reading the thread. Keeps you from making an assclown out of yourself.

Note: She never misses an opportunity to attack me -always angry at me for my truth posts about Islam (which she converted to) Another chronic troll. :rolleyes:

:salute::drills::tank::Boom2::alirulz::terror::terror::terror::terror:

The sad thing about those suffering depression like Robin did...is you run across people lile Protectionist. And there are A LOT of Protectionists around. Online, in real life, even in family and close acquaintences.

"You have so much money, you can get help for your bad mood"

"You have so much to look forward to. Get a grip"

"Waa. Change places with me. I'll take your life any day"

So many people just flat out don't understand. The demons he fought were his..and nobody elses and nothing could help him. I keep visualizing this man..who loved his children, had so many people who loved him...waited for his wife to go to bed, then snuck in a room, slashed his wrists, then hung himself. I can't imagine the horror..and the sadness...and the feeling of aloneness...the despair...he was going thru as he breathed his last. It makes me cry. His death has affected me more than I thought.

Nobody understood..or they did, but were helpless to assist him. He hid his pain well. All his interviews...he said there was hope, that it was tough but he was doing his best....everyone fooled. Even himself. He fooled himself, too.

And now he is lost to us forever. And I find it just heartbreaking.

Recognizing Forms of Self-Medication with Depression
"The authors empirically studied the self-medication hypothesis of drug abuse by examining drug effects and motivation for drug use in 494 hospitalized drug abusers. Most patients reported that they used drugs in response to depressive symptoms and experienced mood elevation, regardless of their drug of choice. Drug use to relieve depressive symptoms was far more likely in men if they had major depression, but was equally common in women with and without major depression."

Recognizing Forms of Self-Medication with Depression

Robin Williams, the Best Help Money Can Buy & Self Medicating*|*Carrie Armstrong

Addiction as Self-Medication | Psychology Today
"A famous study using a huge sample (17,000) looked at Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) in relation to subsequent physical and mental problems. The results of the study are nicely summarized in the Sept. 25/2011 issue of The Fix. Take-home message: the relationship between trauma and addiction is unquestionable. An ACE score was calculated for each participant, based on the number of types of adverse experience they reported during childhood or adolescence. The higher the ACE score, the more likely people were to end up an alcoholic, drug-user, food-addict, or smoker (among other things)."

There is no way for anyone to say for sure whether Robin Williams substance abuse issues came from his mental health issues, or whether he was trying to self-medicate his mental health issues.

Perhaps one way is to look at the chronological history of his substance abuse. He engaged in it as far back as the 1960s, long before he had any mental health problems. This continued well into the 70s, and was a basis for his later problems.

How do you know when his mental problems began? Do you have a link for this information?

No, because the source of those reports was on TV shows. Might be researchable though, if you really want to know.

And yes... an online friend of mine went the same way. Closet. Belt. Hid her depression VERY well. She and I made arrangements to meet face to face within 2 weeks. I emailed her often...we posted at the same board every day practically. She was a very devout christian and I was so surprised we stayed friends because of that devoutness she had and my own strange beliefs in God. I was the one told by her husband when he saw my last email to her talking about our upcoming visit. He asked me to tell her online friends. It was very hard to do. But I did as he requested.

Everyone was surprised. Even myself. And her husband..and her two boys. They found her. There, in that dark, cold closet. Did she think of them? Nobody knows and will never know. She hid it so well for so many years from so many people. And now she is gone, too.

So spare me the bullshit about money and fame and love and mentally being able to discern right from wrong because these people DON'T know due to mental illness. All they know is PAIN. And suffering. And despair. And sadness.

Perhaps one way is to look at the chronological history of his substance abuse. He engaged in it as far back as the 1960s, long before he had any mental health problems. This continued well into the 70s, and was a basis for his later problems.

How do you know when his mental problems began? Do you have a link for this information?

No, because the source of those reports was on TV shows. Might be researchable though, if you really want to know.

Unlike you, I am not trying to claim anything about Robin Williams.

I did see that he was voted Least Likely to Succeed in high school, so perhaps his mental problem go back that far?

My point is, you have tried to say things about his addictions, but you really don't know. You keep trying to make a point to denigrate him, but it is all based on pure supposition.

Unless you know facts, you are better off leaving the analysis to those more qualified.

And yes... an online friend of mine went the same way. Closet. Belt. Hid her depression VERY well. She and I made arrangements to meet face to face within 2 weeks. I emailed her often...we posted at the same board every day practically. She was a very devout christian and I was so surprised we stayed friends because of that devoutness she had and my own strange beliefs in God. I was the one told by her husband when he saw my last email to her talking about our upcoming visit. He asked me to tell her online friends. It was very hard to do. But I did as he requested.

Everyone was surprised. Even myself. And her husband..and her two boys. They found her. There, in that dark, cold closet. Did she think of them? Nobody knows and will never know. She hid it so well for so many years from so many people. And now she is gone, too.

So spare me the bullshit about money and fame and love and mentally being able to discern right from wrong because these people DON'T know due to mental illness. All they know is PAIN. And suffering. And despair. And sadness.

I have lost too many friends to this horrible affliction. And every time I hear the same thing, "If only we hand known". But people get good at hiding their pain. Whether it be because they don't want pity or they get tired of the "Just think positive" advice. Some truly wonderful people have taken this way out. I used to be one of those who called them cowards. I have been shown a different way to look at it by someone profoundly effected by a suicide. I feel for the family, and wish them all the strength it takes to get through this. I also feel for the person who saw death as an improvement.

The sad thing about those suffering depression like Robin did...is you run across people lile Protectionist. And there are A LOT of Protectionists around. Online, in real life, even in family and close acquaintences.

So many people just flat out don't understand. The demons he fought were his..and nobody elses and nothing could help him. I keep visualizing this man..who loved his children, had so many people who loved him...waited for his wife to go to bed, then snuck in a room, slashed his wrists, then hung himself. I can't imagine the horror..and the sadness...and the feeling of aloneness...the despair...he was going thru as he breathed his last. It makes me cry. His death has affected me more than I thought.

Nobody understood..or they did, but were helpless to assist him. He hid his pain well. All his interviews...he said there was hope, that it was tough but he was doing his best....everyone fooled. Even himself. He fooled himself, too.

THIS is what I find "heartbreaking" >>

The thousands of US troops who have died recently, defending this country, and nobody even knows their names, much less has every cable news network offering condolences round the clock. I just can't help thinking about them, and how so many people don't even think about or mention them, even on Memorial Day.

images
locht_gwendolyn_a_LG.jpg
christian-chandler-6568559.jpg
roberto-skelt-6568553.jpg
william-lacey-6568543.jpg
brittany-gordon-6568365.jpg
vazquez-richard-6568531.jpg

Air Force Lt. Col. Gwendolyn A. Locht, 46, of Fort Walton Beach, Florida ; Died November 16, 2010 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 96th Inpatient Operations Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.; died in Houston, Texas, after having been medically evacuated from Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Army Spc. Christian J. Chandler, 20, of Trenton, Texas ; Died April 28, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light), Fort Drum, N.Y.; died in Logar province, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by small-arms fire.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Roberto C. Skelt, 41, of York, Florida. ; Died February 12, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, N.C.; died in Kapisa province, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by small-arms fire.

Army Sgt. First Class William K. Lacey, 38, of Laurel Hill, Florida ; Died January 4, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 201st Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Knox, Ky.; died in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when the enemy attacked his unit with rocket propelled grenades.

Army Spc. Brittany B. Gordon, 24, of St. Petersburg, Florida ; Died October 13, 2012 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 572 Military Intelligence Company, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.; died in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by an improvised explosive device.

Army Staff Sgt. Richard L. Vazquez, 28, of Seguin, Texas ; Died November 13, 2013 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.; died Nov. 13, in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when his unit was attacked with an improvised explosive device while on dismounted patrol in Panjwai, Afghanistan.

The thousands of US troops who have died recently, defending this country, and nobody even knows their names, much less has every cable news network offering condolences round the clock. I just can't help thinking about them, and how so many people don't even think about or mention them, even on Memorial Day.

images
locht_gwendolyn_a_LG.jpg

Air Force Lt. Col. Gwendolyn A. Locht, 46, of Fort Walton Beach, Florida ; Died November 16, 2010 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 96th Inpatient Operations Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.; died in Houston, Texas, after having been medically evacuated from Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Army Spc. Christian J. Chandler, 20, of Trenton, Texas ; Died April 28, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light), Fort Drum, N.Y.; died in Logar province, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by small-arms fire.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Roberto C. Skelt, 41, of York, Florida. ; Died February 12, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, N.C.; died in Kapisa province, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by small-arms fire.

Army Sgt. First Class William K. Lacey, 38, of Laurel Hill, Florida ; Died January 4, 2014 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 201st Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Knox, Ky.; died in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when the enemy attacked his unit with rocket propelled grenades.

Army Spc. Brittany B. Gordon, 24, of St. Petersburg, Florida ; Died October 13, 2012 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 572 Military Intelligence Company, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.; died in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds caused by an improvised explosive device.

Army Staff Sgt. Richard L. Vazquez, 28, of Seguin, Texas ; Died November 13, 2013 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom ; assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.; died Nov. 13, in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when his unit was attacked with an improvised explosive device while on dismounted patrol in Panjwai, Afghanistan.

Off topic. Let us know when you want to come back and discuss the actual topic.

I did see that he was voted Least Likely to Succeed in high school, so perhaps his mental problem go back that far?

My point is, you have tried to say things about his addictions, but you really don't know. You keep trying to make a point to denigrate him, but it is all based on pure supposition.

Unless you know facts, you are better off leaving the analysis to those more qualified.

Shut up, fool. Tried to say things about his addictions ? What the hell are you talking about ? He was addicted to cocaine and alcohol. I know as much as everyone knows. This is public knowledge. Except to you maybe ?

And NO, Judge WinterBorn. I am not trying to denigrate Robin Williams. Not at all. That is simply your MISperception which you have a chronic problem with, from one thread to another. My point is the anguish, and attention, and glory, and media yammering over him, while real heros like the ones I noted in Post # 68, go unnoticed, unheralded, and unhonored, even on days set aside for them, like Memorial Day. A day when so many of you gushing over Robin Williams, will be out at the beach or having backyard barbeques, without a single thought or word about those who died yesterday and today, to save your hides.

images
locht_gwendolyn_a_LG.jpg

NO, it's NOT off topic. You just haven't figured out what the topic is. That's YOUR problem.

From the OP >> "I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis."

Last edited:

Shut up, fool. Tried to say things about his addictions ? What the hell are you talking about ? He was addicted to cocaine and alcohol. I know as much as everyone knows. This is public knowledge. Except to you maybe ?

And NO, Judge WinterBorn. I am not trying to denigrate Robin Williams. Not at all. That is simply your MISperception which you have a chronic problem with, from one thread to another. My point is the anguish, and attention, and glory, and media yammering over him, while real heros like the ones I noted in Post # 68, go unnoticed, unheralded, and unhonored, even on days set aside for them, like Memorial Day. A day when so many of you gushing over Robin Williams, will be out at the beach or having backyard barbeques, without a single thought or word about those who died yesterday and today, to save your hides.

You tried to say his addictions caused his mental problems. But you have no actual knowledge of whether that is true or not.

You tried to say you have had to go thru so much worse than him, but that is based on no facts whatsoever.

And, as usual, you have tried to play the victim by accusing others of trolling.

The fact is, what you actually know is far too little to make the assumptions you have made.

And the attempt to bring in the brave men & women in our armed services is just you wanting to save face. You started this thread about Robin Williams. That people enjoyed his work does not say anything at all about how we feel about the losses our military has suffered. You started out trying to say one thing about Robin Williams, and ended up trying to denigrate everyone because you assume they do not care about military casualties. Utter bullshit. Per usual.

Try and get some real information and then come back.

Until then, stay on topic.

Last edited:

images
locht_gwendolyn_a_LG.jpg

NO, it's NOT off topic. You just haven't figured out what the topic is. That's YOUR problem.

From the OP >> "I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis."

The topic is Robin Williams' suicide. You started the thread. Now, after all these posts you suddenly want it to be about military casualties and your assumptions of what people do or don't do on Memorial day??

Try again.

You tried to say his addictions caused his mental problems. But you have no actual knowledge of whether that is true or not.

You tried to say you have had to go thru so much worse than him, but that is based on no facts whatsoever.

And, as usual, you have tried to play the victim by accusing others of trolling.

The fact is, what you actually know is far too little to make the assumptions you have made.

And the attempt to bring in the brave men & women in our armed services is just you wanting to save face. You started this thread about Robin Williams. That people enjoyed his work does not say anything at all about how we feel about the losses our military has suffered. You started out trying to say one thing about Robin Williams, and ended up trying to denigrate everyone because you assume they do not care about military casualties. Utter bullshit. Per usual.

Try and get some real information and then come back.

Until then, stay on topic.

SHUT UP, FOOL/TROLL!! I know what I said. And I know you are a deranged, ego-tripped out idiot, who is only in this thread, because you can't handle the fact that I have handed you your wimpy, cowardly ass so many times, in this forum, you can't even count them any more.

As for the dumb stuff you're polluting this thread with, (one post is as dumb as another), they don't even deserve the dignity of a response, other than to just say that. You may now go to bed. Dismissed. Good night. :D

My condolences, Gracie.

Regards from Rosie

You are the fool and the troll. You just don't get it. You never will.

/unsub

You are the fool and the troll. You just don't get it. You never will.

You didn't have to tell YesterdayBorn that/ I already told him. But thanks anyway. :lol:

Now try reading the thread, before you post again.

The topic is Robin Williams' suicide. You started the thread. Now, after all these posts you suddenly want it to be about military casualties and your assumptions of what people do or don't do on Memorial day??

Try again.

NO. The topic is NOT Robin Williams' suicide. The topic is what the title is >> Some Thoughts About Robin Williams Suicide. And some of those thoughts are the overattention given to Robin (someone who had it easy in life), as opposed to others who had it rough (like in the military), and who died honorably, and got little or no attention at all.

Are you really this dumb ? You don't get to define what the topic is. I do. The author of the OP. Here is the pure refute of what you're saying right above your post, in the quote highlighted in blue. Suddenly ? HA HA > Again, it was in the OP, you idiot. Some people have to be told twice. Or 3 or 4 times.

"I could have more sympathy for Robin if he had succumbed to injuries acquired [B]on a military battlefield, as veterans are having happen to them on a regular basis."[/B]

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out how his two ex's dealt with his depression, and if it was a key reason for both of the divorces.
Living with someone with severe depression, can be hell. You get sucked down the rabbit hole along with the sufferer.
You tend to blame yourself much of the time, wondering why the person isn't happy being with you. It becomes a co-dependency.

My advice to anyone just starting out in a new relationship, if you see any signs your new girlfriend/boyfriend is depressed, don't sweep it under the rug.
Demand answers, get it out in the open, find out if he or she is suffering, and what they're doing about it.
If you jump in, and look the other way, you'll find yourself suffering later on and wishing you never started the relationship.

Our society tends to look at depression as a minor issue, but it's far from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back