State of the Climate in 2013

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
Climate Scientists See 'Very Rapid Declines' in Annual NOAA Report - NBC News

Leading climate scientists on Thursday issued their annual physical of Earth, comparing the planet in 2013 to a patient that's only getting worse and highlighting problems with key vital signs: from record warmth in Australia and China to sea levels that continue to rise and Arctic sea ice in continued decline.

The vital signs reflect "the largest changes that we've been able to witness in the historical record," said Tom Karl, director of the National Climatic Data Center, part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "The planet is changing more rapidly … than in any time of modern civilization."

The report, titled the "State of the Climate in 2013", was led by the NOAA and incorporated input from 425 researchers around the world.

Karl compared Earth to someone trying to maintain their ideal weight but instead constantly adding a couple more pounds. That's not good for the patient, he said at a press conference, and "the trend is continuing."

That view was echoed by Michael Prather, who didn't work on the report but has been an author on six recent reports by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

"You wouldn't view this as the patient has turned around," said Prather, an earth system science professor at the University of California, Irvine. "The planet is warming, there's still a lot of energy going into the ocean, we're still out of balance."

Among the 2013 vital signs highlighted by NOAA:

o All major greenhouse gas emissions increased to new records.

o Air temperature was among the warmest on record, with 2013 ranking between second and sixth depending upon the dataset used.

o Australia saw its warmest overall year, China its warmest Summer.

o Sea surface temperatures were among the 10 warmest on record.

o Sea level continued to rise by about an eighth of an inch each year.

o The Arctic continued to warm. Particular attention was given to the Arctic, where summer sea ice is declining by 14 percent per decade.

o Moreover, warm temperatures in Alaska that have led to record melt of permafrost.

"We're seeing very rapid declines in these very important climate indicators," said Martin Jeffries, who studies Arctic issues for the U.S. Office of Naval Research.

Fairbanks saw 36 days of temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit, he noted, significant because "there's not a lot of air conditioning in Alaska."

Still, 2013 did not set a new global record for air temperature –- that's still held by 2010.

That fact has led some naysayers to question if warming is even an issue, or at least not as dire as experts say.

Prather acknowledged that the air temperature, which IPCC projections say should have jumped up, has been a mystery. "Does it make me lose sleep? No. Does it make me curious? Yes."

One theory is that more warmth is being absorbed by the oceans, instead of being added to the atmosphere.

And Prather is still convinced warming projections are on target because two other indicators –- sea level rise and more heat going into the oceans –- are "doing what we expect."

State of the Climate 2013

Global Analysis - Annual 2013

Last edited:
As I predicted the AGW cult would do their best to down play that the Earth does not follow their religious beliefs..

It's Hotter = Global Warming

It's Colder = Climate Change

A Storm = Climate Disruption

Last edited by a moderator:
As I predicted the AGW cult would do their best to down play that the Earth does not follow their religious beliefs..

Flap-yap, no links to valid sources, just ignorant opinion.

http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordp...volume/BPIOMASIceVolumeAnomalyCurrentV2.1.png

UAH Global Temperature Update for June, 2014: +0.30 deg. C « Roy Spencer, PhD

Ocean Heat | Climate Change | US EPA

And the AGW cult just proved my point without even realizing it..

Leave it to this religious cult to show that the scriptures are more important than science..

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

Rather than changes in earth's CO2 causing temperature to change, scientists have actually found that changes in earth's temperatures always precedes changes in CO2 by 400 to a 1000 years -- just the opposite of what global warming proponents would have us believe.

http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordp...volume/BPIOMASIceVolumeAnomalyCurrentV2.1.png

Leave it to this religious cult to show that the scriptures are more important than science..

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

Rather than changes in earth's CO2 causing temperature to change, scientists have actually found that changes in earth's temperatures always precedes changes in CO2 by 400 to a 1000 years -- just the opposite of what global warming proponents would have us believe.

Well, that's not correct.

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

Of course it is! Just the AGW cult can not accept facts based on real science.

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

Yet ever single Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and ever major University states that AGW is real and a clear and present danger. Then you state that is not real science? What then is real science? The rants of an obese junkie on AM radio? The mouthing of a fake English Lord? The blog of an undegreed ex-TV weatherman?

Ever bother to read a real peer reviewed scientific journal from any discipline? I really doubt that you have. From the ignorance displayed in your posts I think the Weekly Reader was about as far as you got.

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

The real science to which you've referred WHERE?

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

The dara is correct. Nothing you said is. You cannot read.

Yet ever single Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and ever major University states that AGW is real and a clear and present danger. Then you state that is not real science? What then is real science? The rants of an obese junkie on AM radio? The mouthing of a fake English Lord? The blog of an undegreed ex-TV weatherman?

Ever bother to read a real peer reviewed scientific journal from any discipline? I really doubt that you have. From the ignorance displayed in your posts I think the Weekly Reader was about as far as you got.

cern-07.jpg

^ Science

prinn-roulette-4a1.jpg

^ Not Science.

See the difference?

People keep talking about "real science" in here, which, of course, is code for ESTABLISHED NARRATIVE CLIMATE SCIENCE!!

Check out the guy in post #7 above!!!! That's what people think about the "real science"......in fact, the polls show very few Americans........very few.........care.

Actually as always the AGW cult continues to push out propaganda and talking points..

The true haters of science are the AGW cult..

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

The real science to which you've referred WHERE?

The science that shows that CO2 does NOT drive climate..

People keep talking about "real science" in here, which, of course, is code for ESTABLISHED NARRATIVE CLIMATE SCIENCE!!

Check out the guy in post #7 above!!!! That's what people think about the "real science"......in fact, the polls show very few Americans........very few.........care.

As I asked you before, where is your "real science"? All we ever get from you is you flapping your yap. We've put up hundreds of links to peer reviewed studies. What have you given us? Funny pictures. So where do YOU get off griping about any lack of real science?

What religious belief do YOU believe the Earth is following? Are you a rapturette?

Forum List

Back