🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Steubenville Rapists have been found guilty

Sy, I was thinking of multiple people at the party- or anyone who saw them- beating the hell out of them. Shooting them or walking up behind them and cutting their throats would also be acceptable, IMO.

Those who saw them either laughed, took pictures, or did nothing. This is why others are objecting to charging only the boys who violated this girl and letting those who watched, took pictures or allowed it to happen go free.
They should be charged as accessories, IMO.

If nothing else, they can surely be charged under the Good Samaritan laws passed after the death of Katherine 'Kitty' Genovese and adopted nationwide shortly after.

Every person who laughed, took photos, and said nothing, not doing so much as calling police to report what was happening, was a participant in my eyes.

Damn straight.

The scary thing is if these idiots didnt record the crime, they would be scot free wouldn't they?
They allegedly called themselves the 'rape crew'

How many other victims of theirs are out there?

How many people like them took that same message away and learned from this only that sentences are light and to not take/share pictures or video?

The scary thing is if these idiots didnt record the crime, they would be scot free wouldn't they?

How many people like them took that same message away and learned from this only that sentences are light and to not take/share pictures or video?

The rape crew? sweet Jesus, were these kids raised by wolves? where the fuck are the parents?

Those who saw them either laughed, took pictures, or did nothing. This is why others are objecting to charging only the boys who violated this girl and letting those who watched, took pictures or allowed it to happen go free.

If nothing else, they can surely be charged under the Good Samaritan laws passed after the death of Katherine 'Kitty' Genovese and adopted nationwide shortly after.

Every person who laughed, took photos, and said nothing, not doing so much as calling police to report what was happening, was a participant in my eyes.

Damn straight.

I think it takes reminding that the people at this party were kids. I understand how disgusting it is to think of everything they did with an audience and no one stepping up... But, children, especially teens, tend to follow the crowd. Standing up to your peers is hard at any age, but most especially when your young and still figuring out your place in the pack.

The rape crew? sweet Jesus, were these kids raised by wolves? where the fuck are the parents?

That's what I was thinking.

Here is CNN on it. Listen to there legal guy. For the rest of there lives they will have to tell just about everyone they know they are rapo's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeXL_vg7opc]CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined 'promising' lives of Steubenville rapists - YouTube[/ame]

Damn straight.

I think it takes reminding that the people at this party were kids. I understand how disgusting it is to think of everything they did with an audience and no one stepping up... But, children, especially teens, tend to follow the crowd. Standing up to your peers is hard at any age, but most especially when your young and still figuring out your place in the pack.

Even if you couldn't stop the rape you have to say something, leave and call the cops or something. I understand what you say about peer pressure but common sense also has to come into play here.

By Erik Wemple
March 18, 2013

CNN on Sunday aggressively covered the breaking news of the verdict in the Steubenville rape case. Star football players Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl. Propelled by social media and mainstream media, the Steubenville case has long held a high profile.

The scrutiny that comes with its profile descended on CNN. In repeated segments yesterday, CNN featured reports from reporter Poppy Harlow, who was in Ohio for the verdict. Here’s the transcript of some of the coverage at the 11 a.m. hour:

snip

POPPY HARLOW, CNN CORRESPONDENT: "I’ve never experienced anything like it, Candy. It was incredibly emotional — incredibly difficult even for an outsider like me to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believe their life fell apart."

snip

The response from Twitter: Not supportive.

Dear @CNN, the verdict didn't "ruin" the "promising" lives of #Steubenville rapists. Their decision to rape did. CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ?promising? lives of Steubenville rapists | The Raw Story …

CNN seems more concerned about the convicted rapist than the rape victim. This is astonishing.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUdyNko8LQ]CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined 'promising' lives of Steubenville rapists - YouTube[/ame] …​

(Excerpt)

Read more:
CNN is getting hammered for Steubenville coverage

Good.

The psychological effects the victim will suffer will last a lifetime.

One of the reasons these kids got off so lightly is because the victim isn't going to suffer at all. There are no psychological effects. She didn't even know what happened. Until someone showed her the video, she had no idea.

That in no way changes the fact of how psychologically damaging such an experience is. In many ways, it is worse. How would you feel if you'd been raped by a several men when you were unconscious and then found out about it later? Do you really think there would be no psychological damage?

To say the victim in this case is not going to suffer at all: this just shows so much vicious, mean spiritedness. And stupidity. Of course she will suffer. Anyone would.

In that case, the victim still isn't harmed by the event, just harmed by whoever told her about it later. If no one told her, she'd still never know. The harm comes from the people who see fit to rub the poor woman's nose in it.

When she was 13 years old a girl was drugged and brutally raped and sodomized by Roman Polanski. In those days victims were truly protected so no one reminded this girl of what happened. Years later, her lack on interest in a pardon for Roman Polanski and letting him into the US with arrest prompted Whoopie Goldberg to claim that the rape wasn't rape rape. When the matter was reignited before the public, to the girl who was victimized, it felt like they were talking about someone else.

I think it takes reminding that the people at this party were kids.
No, they're not. They're teens, 16 and 17, old enough to have lied to get into the army during WWII and be praised for it. They're old enough to know right from wrong be responsible for their decisions.

Would you be making excuses for them if it were you or your daughter?

I'm sure the girl who was raped is glad to know they're just kids...

I see two things we need to address as a society: the actions of these boys and what led them to believe this was acceptable and the judgement of these young girls who are getting intoxicated and putting themselves in danger. Both are a failure of society and of the parents and others who are supposed to be rearing these children and teaching them ethics, morals, and responsibility.

We must address both sides of this problem if we are to prevent such things happening.

Dear V: While I agree with your statement it takes greater responsibility on all sides,
in real life practice, to put men and women in a situation of taking equal responsibility STILL LED to the men bullying the women, even blaming and expecting more responsibility on the women! Maybe the women need to work together separately from the men, who need to address their own issues men-to-men as peers.

There was one group of students doing outreach to high schools about preventing date rape, where the assembly leaders worked in male-female teams, and role played the different situations to teach how easily things lead to rape and false assumption of consent.

Unless it is carefully structured outreach, just throwing out the idea that "men and women need to take equal responsibility" too easily becomes blaming the victim for the problem.
it is just easier to justify that way, and people's minds will take the path of least work to rationalize why something happened. this is why minorities and women get bullied because it is easier to blame the victim as the easier target, rather than do the work on the side of the oppressor and the mindsets that would have to change, which is deep longterm work!

Why?

Because she's a kid. She's young and stupid. It was a high school party and she made a very poor choice , most especially in feeling safe with those boys.

don't get me wrong - i want to be clear i'm not defending them

but if that's a defense for her actions why isn't it for theirs?

No, they're not. They're teens, 16 and 17, old enough to have lied to get into the army during WWII and be praised for it. They're old enough to know right from wrong be responsible for their decisions.

17 years old now is old enough to join the Army if your parents sign off on the enlistment papers.

Yikes! If you know anything about child and adolescent development, 18 is still too early to make independent decisions as adults. The emotional factor of peer pressure, and need for check and balance by adults which was also missing here, are still too great especially where the opportunity for mixing intoxicants with sex, etc.

When I was working at a school, where the director had 50 years of experience teaching in private and public schools, she was dismayed to hear in the news about a teenage store manager of a restaurant given keys and ability to access the store alone; this teenager conspired with friends to rob the store and start a fire to hide the evidience, which resulted in the death of a firefighter and may have escalated the crime to a capital offense. She explained to me that age was TOO YOUNG to be given the keys to the store to manage alone; the peer pressure and inability to make independent decisions without emotional impulses is not appropriate for the level of development of the adolescent brain that is still dealing with too many changes in emotions, hormone levels, and social cues and responses. And she was a well-experienced well-trained teacher with background in child development, who studied at what stages different thresholds are reached, so you recognize them as students progress.

I have heard that 21 is more realistic for expecting people to act as adults;
and the ages between 15-18 are especially prone to needing adult shadowing and mentorship to teach young people how to manage decisions given these social pressures.

This is NOT making "an excuse" for socially destructive or criminal behavior; it is explaining WHY it happens, and why our prisons and juvenile centers are filled with people who failed to control their impulses and did things with a group, following the bad decisions of others, without proper education, upbringing, instruction, experience and support to resist. If you are going to fix the problem, then fix it, just punishing it after the fact isn't fixing the cause.

NOTE: I personally believe that if people are not legally responsible due to age or disability, then SOMEONE else needs to be assigned legal financial and social responsibility, so it isn't the crime victims, society or taxpayers footing the bill every time crimes or damages occur due to someone not being able to act responsibly as a law-abiding citizen. People need to be educated and trained on what it takes to enforce and uphold laws, and if they cannot do this competently, and do not accept social legal and financial responsibility for their actions, they should not have the same rights of citizenship as those who ARE taking full responsibility. There should be conditions and signed agreements in order to enforce laws and quit this nonsense of charging law-abding taxpayers for the crimes of others. All people should agree to pay the costs of their own actions, or else not be granted the privileges of citizenship.

Last edited:

Teenagers are still children.

The kids are the party ranged from 14-17. Those are children. Their brains aren't fully developed yet.

So he's old and responsible enough to go to war and get his leg blown off by an IED, but not old and responsible enough to know rape is wrong? :dunno:

Yikes! If you know anything about child and adolescent development, 18 is still too early to make independent decisions as adults.
Then why can they choose the president and go to war?

How old were you when you knew rape and violence were wrong?
I have heard that 21 is more realistic for expecting people to act as adults
So 21 to drink, smoke, vote, or be responsible for rape or murder? No penalty for rape or murder if you're 20?
If you are going to fix the problem, then fix it, just punishing it after the fact isn't fixing the cause.

Children don't stop stealing their siblings' toys because they grasp the idea of rights. They stop stealing toys because they don't want to get in trouble again.

The kids are the party ranged from 14-17. Those are children. Their brains aren't fully developed yet.

Developed enough to know rape, theft, and violence are wrong.

Forum List

Back