Student Choir Stopped from Signing the National Anthem @ The Wall

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Because they didn't have a permit!

CgrmWLHWIAAxfbd.jpg:large

What is happening to this country?

Story with video @ SHAMEFUL! What security did to these middle school students at the 9/11 memorial is beyond belief

They need flash mobs to converge on the Memorial to sing the National Anthem. Singing the National Anthem there should be turned into a cultural tradition.

They need flash mobs to converge on the Memorial to sing the National Anthem. Singing the National Anthem there should be turned into a cultural tradition.

"They" do, do "they"?

Because there's no such thing as too much jingoism?
I thought that was garlic.

Story with video @ SHAMEFUL! What security did to these middle school students at the 9/11 memorial is beyond belief
This is a perfect example of bureaucratic rules and regulations taken to a ridiculous, pain-in-the-ass extreme. I'll bet that Security guy felt some POWERFUL and important stopping them. Just the rules, ma'am. Must follow the rules. I hate bureaucratic toadies that can't get their heads out of their ass.

"They" do, do "they"?

There is nothing extreme about a group of citizens wanting to express their patriotism at a Memorial through the use of their constitutional free speech.
The "they" in my comment referred to the security and managers at the Memorial. They need to be put in their places and taught that they are not bosses over free speech.

"They" do, do "they"?

There is nothing extreme about a group of citizens wanting to express their patriotism at a Memorial through the use of their constitutional free speech.
The "they" in my comment referred to the security and managers at the Memorial. They need to be put in their places and taught that they are not bosses over free speech.

There is no "free speech" issue here. Unless you want to argue that the regulation requiring a performance permit is, but then it ain't their job to enforce selectively depending on whether you or they agree with what the performance is. It's their job to enforce, period.

Can anyone articulate why this is "shameful"?

Well that sure quieted the room, didnit?

It's a serious question. Let's phrase it another way -- can anyone justify jingoism for its own sake?

Is there something positive to be gained in ignoring public regulations for the noble advancement of mob mentality?

Does chanting "USA! USA!" serve any purpose at all? That is, any rational purpose beyond a masturbatory in-you-face taunt?

:popcorn:

"They" do, do "they"?

There is no "free speech" issue here. Unless you want to argue that the regulation requiring a performance permit is, but then it ain't their job to enforce selectively depending on whether you or they agree with what the performance is. It's their job to enforce, period.
The security guard could have waited till they were done and issued a warning or even a citation to them when they finished for not having a permit. Instead, they chose to assert their authority and bully some kids from singing who had probably practiced and looked forward to performing the National Anthem.
People with authority need to know how to use discretion and a bit of common sense with sensitivity.

It's a serious question. Let's phrase it another way -- can anyone justify jingoism for its own sake?

Is there something positive to be gained in ignoring public regulations for the noble advancement of mob mentality?

Does chanting "USA! USA!" serve any purpose at all? That is, any rational purpose beyond a masturbatory in-you-face taunt?

You are asserting that singing the anthem is jingoism, which means extreme patriotism. That is your whole case and point. It is a subjective opinion on your part, nothing else. Most people would not consider singing the National Anthem as some sort of extreme patriotism.

Idiot

Forum List

Back