Suddenly, Republicans favor Free Press over National Security

Although most Repugnant-cans and Depot-crats probably do indeed feel this way, I hardly doubt they would admit that in a poll, can you link any polls showing either liberals or conservatives saying they favored National Security over a Free Press?

I finally found a link to the whole dern article.

Poll: Obama agenda to get stuck in mud over Benghazi, IRS

In the article I quote "62% of Americans say it's more important that the government be able to report stories vs. 23% who say it's more important for the government to be able to censor stories for national security...These results reflect a swing by republicans to the side of the press--possibly because it puts them at odds with a democratic president. In 2006, 53% of Republicans said it was more important that the government censored stories in the interest of national security."

Like I said...hypocrites.

What is so wrong with this?

Short story time......
We were pulling in to port in Portsmouth, England. First time an American navy ship - much less a Battleship - had been there since WWII (or something like that).
There were small craft every-freekin-where, waving, honking, and welcoming us.
As I was 'manning the rail' a sailboat came along side and two very enthusiastic females were using the mast as a stripper pole whilst shedding their bikinis.
Fast-forward.....
As we exited the base for Liberty in town, I stopped for some cigs. The shop owner had the news on and there were the ladies, in all their glory, on the news!!
Apparently (back then, at least) England didn't believe in censoring their news.

That's how it should be.
:cool:

Well, Holland has the naked weather lady.:clap2:

That might be an oversimplification. A free press is essential to a free people. We have a government that is out of control and protects "national security" by a simple declaration that national security is involved. There was no national security interest in the IRS intimidating citizens. The government just said there was. We don't even know if there was any national security interest in the sham prosecution of James Rosen since the government has never said what the issues of national security were.

Investigative reporters investigate. Then they expose their investigations to the public. If there are leaks of national security, the government employee who did the leaking is prosecuted. The reporter is only doing what reporters are supposed to do.

The interesting find is that underneath it all, democrats feel that the government should be able to muzzle the press.

This radical behavior happened during the last administration. You folks absolutely cheered it.

Now? It's BAU and not at all radical. The patriot act actually ALLOWS for this.

:doubt:

Obama has given me a greater appreciation of both the ACLU and the AP.

He has me as well.

Baaahahahahhahahahahahahaha!

:rofl:

You can't make this shit up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I]Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11 - YouTube[/ame]

This is AFTER you folks said god was mad at the ACLU!!!!

Last edited:
This radical behavior happened during the last administration. You folks absolutely cheered it.

I didn't like the Patriot Act when it came out the first time because I knew how a Democrat dictator could abuse it. It has come to pass, already because the dictator is using it to silence his enemies. This was not the original intent of the Patriot Act.

I didn't like the Patriot Act when it came out the first time because I knew how a Democrat dictator could abuse it. It has come to pass, already because the dictator is using it to silence his enemies. This was not the original intent of the Patriot Act.

(My bold)

That silencing of enemies was precisely the intent of PATRIOT. You didn't think it was odd that PNAC - our war-mongers for blood 'n' profits - had a couple-thousand-page document ready to roll, already lawyered-up, ready for the presses @ the v. moment that the country was running about like a chicken-hawk with its head cut off? The media, bless their pointy little heads, thought that if they got into bed with the powers-that-wanna-be (embedded, indeed!) that the lightning bolts would safely pass into the great terrorist Satan safely over there. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that their normal business practice - seeking hidden information for possible publication - might come to an end thereby. Ah, well, there's always the show-biz beat - we can't get enough photos of J. Arias, OJ, the blonde nyphet du jour. "Ready for my closeup, CB!"

Nice work, if you can get it ...

Obama has given me a greater appreciation of both the ACLU and the AP.

He has me as well.

Baaahahahahhahahahahahahaha!

:rofl:

You can't make this shit up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I]Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11 - YouTube[/ame]

This is AFTER you folks said god was mad at the ACLU!!!!

A. I didn't say that.

B. The 700 Club? The 700 Club is not "us folks".

C. "Greater appreciation" now implies a somewhat lesser appreciation before.

The ACLU has been rising in my esteem over the past few years. One reason which comes readily to mind is their concern about due process in the case of Al-Awlaki and other Americans who may be targeted for assassination when the government doesn't even have a strong enough case to seek an indictment against them or to put them in jail for more than a few years if they did successfully prosecute. The AP's rise in my estimation is very recent. Not because they were targeted by the administration but because of how they responded to it. I heard a spokesman for them explain their standards for cooperation with the government in matters of national security. The explanation was clear and articulate. I still think that some of their editorial decisions have been unfortunate in the past. However their spokesman made me believe that they were conscientious and were dedicated to finding the right balance between respecting the government's security requests and doing their duty in getting the news out. Much more conscientious and closer to the right balance than our government.

Last edited:
I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

That's why I love the Daily show -- their video archive is filled with smoking gun hypocrisy.

Where was the prosecution of reporters when they broke the stories about how we were using banks to track AQ money?

Where was the prosecution of reporters when they broke the stories of Reniditon?

Where was the prosecution of reporters when they broke the stories of waterboarding?

Where was the prosectuion of reporters when they broke the stories of the secret jails?

Where was the prosecution of reporters when they broke the other stories involving national security when President Bush was in office?

President Bush didn't want to prosecute them. Obama has gone after everyone who has had the nerve to question his authority.

I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

First of all they are not so called scandals they are scandals second I feel very safe in saying if what has happened to the AP, James Rosen, and now CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson who now believes her home and work computers have been comprised happened under a Republican administration the left who claim to put freedom of speech and the press above pretty much everything else and who are so passive about this would be screaming about a police state and telling us how the right is destroying the Constitution in the name of national security hypocrites is indeed the word.

President Bush didn't want to prosecute them. Obama has gone after everyone who has had the nerve to question his authority.

I don't agree with the patriot act and our loss of privacy rights but I wouldn't characterize the whole affair as Obama going after a reporter. Hell the reporters will probably get a book deal out of this.

images

And if Obama weren’t addressing the problem of National security leaks most on the right would slam him for that as well.

That might be an oversimplification. A free press is essential to a free people. We have a government that is out of control and protects "national security" by a simple declaration that national security is involved. There was no national security interest in the IRS intimidating citizens. The government just said there was. We don't even know if there was any national security interest in the sham prosecution of James Rosen since the government has never said what the issues of national security were.

Investigative reporters investigate. Then they expose their investigations to the public. If there are leaks of national security, the government employee who did the leaking is prosecuted. The reporter is only doing what reporters are supposed to do.

The interesting find is that underneath it all, democrats feel that the government should be able to muzzle the press.

First, I didn't cheer this type of thing in the previous administration.
Second, this type of thing did not happen when Bush was president, it is all on Obama, which makes you partisan rant even more pathetic.
Third, I opposed the PATRIOT Act when Bush asked for it, I opposed it more when Obama asked for the extension.

And if Obama weren’t addressing the problem of National security leaks most on the right would slam him for that as well.

That argument would work better if Obama had not gone after more whistle blowers than all other presidents combined, and I had not mentioned this as proof that he is going the wrong way.

Forum List

Back