Suddenly, Republicans favor Free Press over National Security

That might be an oversimplification. A free press is essential to a free people. We have a government that is out of control and protects "national security" by a simple declaration that national security is involved. There was no national security interest in the IRS intimidating citizens. The government just said there was. We don't even know if there was any national security interest in the sham prosecution of James Rosen since the government has never said what the issues of national security were.

Investigative reporters investigate. Then they expose their investigations to the public. If there are leaks of national security, the government employee who did the leaking is prosecuted. The reporter is only doing what reporters are supposed to do.

The interesting find is that underneath it all, democrats feel that the government should be able to muzzle the press.

No they don't.

You obviously haven't even seen the poll.

According to this poll, all Americans, both Dems and Republicans, overwhelmingly support the free press over national security concerns.

This has nothing to do with the IRS scandal. It's in response to tapping AP reporter phone records.

I don't see the tapping of AP phone records as an issue over "national security", this goes well beyond the need to find a leak. Rather this is just another excuse, in a long list of examples; to go after, demonize, or attempt to muzzle those who stand in opposition to the Obama administration. Perhaps the left believes that going after the whistleblowers surrounding Watergate, and the media's pursuit after President Nixon, would justify the need to go after members of a free press? Would it have been deemed acceptable for the White House to have kept a log of personal phone records isolating Woodward and Bernstein (as well as other AP reporters) that chose to question the motives of an administration at that time? President Nixon could have cited the need for blanket cover of administrative protection, stating concerns of "leaks" could lend to sensitive materials going out to the press.

(My bold)

Is this about the DOJ getting the AP phone records? That's one thing. Tapping or wiretapping would be listening in or otherwise intercepting the actual phone call, e-mail, fax, telegram, etc. These are two separate activities - the PATRIOT Act allows the federal government almost unlimited power to search, intercept, record, etc. communications, right down to the materials you've borrowed from the public library, in the interests of national security. A gag order is also included, & automatic - on all the people/organizations that have to cough up your records.

That is an immense amount of power, & we should revisit the PATRIOT Act to reclaim our Constitutional rights. I don't know when that will happen, though ...

Tapping wasn't exactly the best word. They obtained the phone records of the AP reporters. I believe the Patriot Act gave them the authority.

I was never in favor of the Patriot Act, but the news media stood by without complaing when Congress passed it in a panic a decade ago.

Where were you 10 years ago. The news media complained long and hard about Bush taking away freedoms. Any debate forum had dozens of threads blasting Bush for the Patriot Act.

Internet message forums are not the press. I don't remember the press complaining about the Patriot Act which was passed with wide bipartisan support.

I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

Not unlike the dems being outraged over Nixon's misuing the IRS back in the 70's and blowing off Obama's admin doing the same....same kind of hypocrits

Keeping Tea Party groups, who do not even believe in social welfare, from calling themselves social welfare organizations, hardly amounts to a scandal in my opinion.

Moreover, Nixon himself was misusing the IRS. There's no evidence Obama was involved.

Although most Repugnant-cans and Depot-crats probably do indeed feel this way, I hardly doubt they would admit that in a poll, can you link any polls showing either liberals or conservatives saying they favored National Security over a Free Press?

I finally found a link to the whole dern article.

Poll: Obama agenda to get stuck in mud over Benghazi, IRS

In the article I quote "62% of Americans say it's more important that the government be able to report stories vs. 23% who say it's more important for the government to be able to censor stories for national security...These results reflect a swing by republicans to the side of the press--possibly because it puts them at odds with a democratic president. In 2006, 53% of Republicans said it was more important that the government censored stories in the interest of national security."

Like I said...hypocrites.

What is so wrong with this?

Short story time......
We were pulling in to port in Portsmouth, England. First time an American navy ship - much less a Battleship - had been there since WWII (or something like that).
There were small craft every-freekin-where, waving, honking, and welcoming us.
As I was 'manning the rail' a sailboat came along side and two very enthusiastic females were using the mast as a stripper pole whilst shedding their bikinis.
Fast-forward.....
As we exited the base for Liberty in town, I stopped for some cigs. The shop owner had the news on and there were the ladies, in all their glory, on the news!!
Apparently (back then, at least) England didn't believe in censoring their news.

That's how it should be.
:cool:

Nobody is saying it's wrong. But it's the opposite of what republicans believed when a republican was president.

smoke pot - it will increase the size of your boobs!
If you need bigger boobs then look at our politicians.

What does invasion of privacy have to do with the Freedom of the Press?

I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

Not unlike the dems being outraged over Nixon's misuing the IRS back in the 70's and blowing off Obama's admin doing the same....same kind of hypocrits

Keeping Tea Party groups, who do not even believe in social welfare, from calling themselves social welfare organizations, hardly amounts to a scandal in my opinion.

Moreover, Nixon himself was misusing the IRS. There's no evidence Obama was involved.

You probably also believe in separation of church and state, as was interpreted by the Supreme Court, yet there are many black churches telling their congregations who to vote for in upcoming elections. This kind of activity is a blatant violation of the separation of church and state. Because they are doing so, they should have their tax exempt status revoked. So, I am sure you agree with me according to these black churches.

One word...hypocrites.

You've got it a little backwards. This nation has a free press to keep the Government in check. Reporters ALWAYS are going to ask questions of insiders--hoping they get a story.

It's the person that delivers the classified information to THEM that is the problem--and the one that should be prosecuted, for leaking the classified information to the media.

Funny--But when Diane Fienstein chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee stated that she knew the National Security leaks that were printed in the New York Times was coming from the White House--(they did nothing.) They didn't even seek the person within the White House that was doing it. Probably because the article was favorable to Obama.

And here she is on video--explaining that incident.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zfr0GIxYdI]Sen. Feinstein talks about White House leaks - YouTube[/ame]

Furthermore--the AP has already reported that the seizing of phone records has made a huge dent into their information gathering. Reporters are terrified that the Government is checking their phone records, and those that report stories about the workings of government aka (sources) are also backing off and are intimidated. It is a DIRECT assault on Freedom of Speech in this country and there is no getting around that.

Of course--Eric Holder--again knew nothing about the seizing of phone records until the news media reported it--LOL

Last edited:
Obama is the most least informed president in history, unless it makes him look good. Then he did it all himself.

And if Obama weren’t addressing the problem of National security leaks most on the right would slam him for that as well.

Then he should probably be investigation and yanking phone records of his staff and other government employees, rather than the reporters that merely broke the stories.

Ya think??

:eusa_whistle:

And if Obama weren’t addressing the problem of National security leaks most on the right would slam him for that as well.

Then he should probably be investigation and yanking phone records of his staff and other government employees, rather than the reporters that merely broke the stories.

Ya think??

:eusa_whistle:

Mr. Never Knows Nothing--Eric Holder has now been ordered to launch an investigation into his own department about the seizing of phone records from the AP.

President Obama, responding to mounting criticism of his Justice Department's seizure of reporter records, said for the first time Thursday that the administration would be reviewing its guidelines in response to the controversy.

Obama said he's "troubled" by the developments and that journalists should not be "at legal risk" for doing their jobs.

Until now, administration officials have responded to the blowback by speaking generally about the importance of balancing national security -- and their ability to prosecute high-profile leaks -- with freedom of the press.

This explanation did not stem the criticism, which only built amid new revelations about the lengths to which prosecutors went to pursue leaks.

Not only did the department secretly obtain two months of phone records from the Associated Press, but it seized phone records from several Fox News lines -- and labeled one correspondent a criminal "co-conspirator" in its successful effort to seize his personal emails.

Obama, in a Washington address, said Attorney General Eric Holder has agreed to review the department's "guidelines governing investigations that involve reporters" and report back by July 12. He said Holder, who "shares" his concerns, will convene a group of media organizations to hear their concerns.

"As Commander-in Chief, I believe we must keep information secret that protects our operations and our people in the field. To do so, we must enforce consequences for those who break the law and breach their commitment to protect classified information," Obama said. "But a free press is also essential for our democracy. That's who we are, and I'm troubled by the possibility that leak investigations may chill the investigative journalism that holds government accountable.

"Journalists should not be at legal risk for doing their jobs. Our focus must be on those who break the law," he said.
Obama orders Justice Department review after Fox News, AP phone records seized | Fox News

600860_10151626121628588_3510817_n.jpg

You probably also believe in separation of church and state, as was interpreted by the Supreme Court, yet there are many black churches telling their congregations who to vote for in upcoming elections. This kind of activity is a blatant violation of the separation of church and state. Because they are doing so, they should have their tax exempt status revoked. So, I am sure you agree with me according to these black churches.

Actually, I think no churches should be tax exempt. Religion is a scam, and they are making money selling this scam to their congregations.

just like they used to be for profiling before they were against it :razz: Repubs are so transparent lol

One word...hypocrites.

You've got it a little backwards. This nation has a free press to keep the Government in check. Reporters ALWAYS are going to ask questions of insiders--hoping they get a story.

It's the person that delivers the classified information to THEM that is the problem--and the one that should be prosecuted, for leaking the classified information to the media.

Funny--But when Diane Fienstein chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee stated that she knew the National Security leaks that were printed in the New York Times was coming from the White House--(they did nothing.) They didn't even seek the person within the White House that was doing it. Probably because the article was favorable to Obama.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zfr0GIxYdI]Sen. Feinstein talks about White House leaks - YouTube[/ame]

Furthermore--the AP has already reported that the seizing of phone records has made a huge dent into their information gathering. Reporters are terrified that the Government is checking their phone records, and those that report stories about the workings of government aka (sources) are also backing off and are intimidated. It is a DIRECT assault on Freedom of Speech in this country and there is no getting around that.

Of course--Eric Holder--again knew nothing about the seizing of phone records until the news media reported it--LOL

What do I have backwards? I never wrote anything against having a free press.

I suspect you totally miss my point.

One word...hypocrites.

(My bold)

Of course you can get around the seizure of phone records. It's basic tradecraft, & I'm surprised that reporters - of all people - would be so professedly ignorant. All you need is to PU a Robert Ludlum Bourne Conspiracy novel. Even Tom Clancy's work shows an awareness of electronic intercepts, & how to evade/degrade them.

If reporters are terrified, then they're clearly in the wrong line of business, & need to go back to the society or sports pages or wherever they came from. Free press constitutional protections are not meant to shelter the latest on Paris Hilton, J. Arias (whoever she may be), & etc. Nor is it a line of work for the faint of heart. The sooner we weed out the weak sisters, the better ...

There is a distinct difference between national security leaks and politically motivated media manipulation. Funny how the liberal mind set cant figure this one out.

Forum List

Back