Supporting Kurdish independence

KURDISTAN_YAN_NEMAN_by_Dijwar.jpg

Is the yellow thing in the background a bedbug?

So what does this represent? The countries that buried CheeseKurds up to their elbows?...with a bedbug.

ANKARA/DIYARBAKIR,— Prominent female lawmaker and rights activist Leyla Zana who symbolises the Kurdish struggle in Turkey has joined hundreds of Kurdish inmates who have been on hunger strike for two months, one of her colleagues said Thursday, AFP reported.

The Democratic Society Congress (DTK) co-chair Ahmet Türk held a press conference on Wednesday to announce that Diyarbakir independent deputy Leyla Zana has started indefinite-irreversible hunger strike at her office in the Parliament in Ankara.

"Zana began to fast in her office in parliament" on Wednesday, the colleague said.

Zana, 51, was the first Kurdish woman to secure a seat in parliament in 1991 and is one of the most outspoken Kurdish activists in Turkey, receiving several human rights awards, including the European Parliament's prestigious Sakharov award in 1995.

The independent lawmaker was imprisoned between 1994 and 2004 for alleged links with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is listed as a terrorist group by Turkey and much of the international community.

Another leading Kurdish independent lawmaker, Ahmet Turk, said he had tried to dissuade Zana from joining the strike for health reasons but failed.

"Her health is not good... we insistently (asked her to give up) but she is determined and we respect her will," Turk told the Hurriyet newspaper, without elaborating on her health problems.

Turkey's government on Tuesday submitted a bill to parliament to give Kurds the right to use their own language in court, a key demand of the some 700 prisoners who have been on hunger strike since mid-September amid mounting fears about their health.

Ankara's move was deemed "inadequate" by defenders of the Kurdish cause, who are also calling for improved detention conditions for jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan -- currently in solitary confinement on a remote island prison and barred from receiving visitors.

The strikers include several lawmakers and mayors from the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP), which has 29 seats in parliament.

Leyla Zana and several other Kurds were elected to parliament in 1991, but lost their seats in 1994 after their party was outlawed for links with the PKK.

In March 2003, Zana and her co-defendants were allowed a retrial after their original conviction was condemned as unfair by the European Court of Human Rights in 2001.

Zana and three colleagues spent 10 years behind bars for speaking Kurdish in the Turkish Parliament and for collaborating with the rebels. She was the first Kurdish woman to be elected to Turkey's parliament. They were released in June 2004. She was granted the Italian honorary nationality in Rome on October 23, 2008.

Since it was established in 1984, the PKK has been fighting the Turkish state, which still denies the constitutional existence of Kurds, to establish a Kurdish state in the south east of the country. By 2012, more than 45,000 people have since been killed.

But now its aim is the creation an autonomous region and more cultural rights for ethnic Kurds who constitute the greatest minority in Turkey. A large Turkey's Kurdish community, numbering to 23 million, openly sympathise with PKK rebels.

The PKK wants constitutional recognition for the Kurds, regional self-governance and Kurdish-language education in schools.

PKK's demands included releasing PKK detainees, lifting the ban on education in Kurdish, paving the way for an autonomous democrat Kurdish system within Turkey, reducing pressure on the detained PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan, stopping military action against the Kurdish party and recomposing the Turkish constitution.

The rebels have scaled back their demands for more political autonomy for the Kurds.

Turkey refuses to recognize its Kurdish population as a distinct minority. It has allowed some cultural rights such as limited broadcasts in the Kurdish language and private Kurdish language courses with the prodding of the European Union, but Kurdish politicians say the measures fall short of their expectations.

Copyright ©, respective author or news agency, AFP | firatnews.con | Ekurd.net | Agencies

ANKARA/DIYARBAKIR,— Prominent female lawmaker and rights activist Leyla Zana who symbolises the Kurdish struggle in Turkey has joined hundreds of Kurdish inmates who have been on hunger strike for two months, one of her colleagues said Thursday, AFP reported.

The Democratic Society Congress (DTK) co-chair Ahmet Türk held a press conference on Wednesday to announce that Diyarbakir independent deputy Leyla Zana has started indefinite-irreversible hunger strike at her office in the Parliament in Ankara.

"Zana began to fast in her office in parliament" on Wednesday, the colleague said.

Zana, 51, was the first Kurdish woman to secure a seat in parliament in 1991 and is one of the most outspoken Kurdish activists in Turkey, receiving several human rights awards, including the European Parliament's prestigious Sakharov award in 1995.

The independent lawmaker was imprisoned between 1994 and 2004 for alleged links with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is listed as a terrorist group by Turkey and much of the international community.

Another leading Kurdish independent lawmaker, Ahmet Turk, said he had tried to dissuade Zana from joining the strike for health reasons but failed.

"Her health is not good... we insistently (asked her to give up) but she is determined and we respect her will," Turk told the Hurriyet newspaper, without elaborating on her health problems.

Turkey's government on Tuesday submitted a bill to parliament to give Kurds the right to use their own language in court, a key demand of the some 700 prisoners who have been on hunger strike since mid-September amid mounting fears about their health.

Ankara's move was deemed "inadequate" by defenders of the Kurdish cause, who are also calling for improved detention conditions for jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan -- currently in solitary confinement on a remote island prison and barred from receiving visitors.

The strikers include several lawmakers and mayors from the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP), which has 29 seats in parliament.

Leyla Zana and several other Kurds were elected to parliament in 1991, but lost their seats in 1994 after their party was outlawed for links with the PKK.

In March 2003, Zana and her co-defendants were allowed a retrial after their original conviction was condemned as unfair by the European Court of Human Rights in 2001.

Zana and three colleagues spent 10 years behind bars for speaking Kurdish in the Turkish Parliament and for collaborating with the rebels. She was the first Kurdish woman to be elected to Turkey's parliament. They were released in June 2004. She was granted the Italian honorary nationality in Rome on October 23, 2008.

Since it was established in 1984, the PKK has been fighting the Turkish state, which still denies the constitutional existence of Kurds, to establish a Kurdish state in the south east of the country. By 2012, more than 45,000 people have since been killed.

But now its aim is the creation an autonomous region and more cultural rights for ethnic Kurds who constitute the greatest minority in Turkey. A large Turkey's Kurdish community, numbering to 23 million, openly sympathise with PKK rebels.

The PKK wants constitutional recognition for the Kurds, regional self-governance and Kurdish-language education in schools.

PKK's demands included releasing PKK detainees, lifting the ban on education in Kurdish, paving the way for an autonomous democrat Kurdish system within Turkey, reducing pressure on the detained PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan, stopping military action against the Kurdish party and recomposing the Turkish constitution.

The rebels have scaled back their demands for more political autonomy for the Kurds.

Turkey refuses to recognize its Kurdish population as a distinct minority. It has allowed some cultural rights such as limited broadcasts in the Kurdish language and private Kurdish language courses with the prodding of the European Union, but Kurdish politicians say the measures fall short of their expectations.

Copyright ©, respective author or news agency, AFP | firatnews.con | Ekurd.net | Agencies

So they've stopped eating turkeys? :dunno:

Ima did a Kurdish man leave you at the altar or something?
Yeah, Ima's is actually a scorned Kurdish goat.

Meathead, if you wanna f*ck goats then please don't put your sick ideas over other people;)
Hell, don't blame me. There is an ancient saying," Hell hath no fury like a Kurdish goat scorned." You shouldn't have left her at the alter after having your way with her.

I'm sure you know how Kurdish goats are.

Yeah, Ima's is actually a scorned Kurdish goat.

Meathead, if you wanna f*ck goats then please don't put your sick ideas over other people;)
Hell, don't blame me. There is an ancient saying," Hell hath no fury like a Kurdish goat scorned." You shouldn't have left her at the alter after having your way with her.

:eusa_eh: ...I won't even bother!

If you don't support an independent Kurdistan then please do us all a great favour and f*ck off.

If you don't support an independent Kurdistan then please do us all a great favour and f*ck off.
You are wrong. I do support Kurdish independence. I do not support the PKK, find your claims hot-headed and ludicrous and think your mission suicidal. Furthermore, I have never been that impressed with arm-chair activists, especially those who advocate that ignorant and uneducated youth march to their certain death from the safety of a remote computer.

I'm funny that way.

I also support CheeseKurdish independence. I actually can't wait for you folks to tackle Iran, it should be great fun to watch on CNN. And Iran is going to spank your asses badly. :popcorn:

You are wrong. I do support Kurdish independence. I do not support the PKK, find your claims hot-headed and ludicrous and think your mission suicidal. Furthermore, I have never been that impressed with arm-chair activists, especially those who advocate that ignorant and uneducated youth march to their certain death from the safety of a remote computer.

I'm funny that way.

Listen to yourself. With thought's like this it aint surprising that all armenians got kicked out of Anatolia. The only way for freedom is to remain strong, which is also the reason to why we have'nt been brainwashed by turks, iraqis, syrians and iranians.

Please cut the bullshit. i can show you tons of comments saying, your against kurdish independence.

I'm funny that way.

Listen to yourself. With thought's like this it aint surprising that all armenians got kicked out of Anatolia. The only way for freedom is to remain strong, which is also the reason to why we have'nt been brainwashed by turks, iraqis, syrians and iranians.

Please cut the bullshit. i can show you tons of comments saying, your against kurdish independence.
Show me. That I think you're a bit of an ass, that you would get slaughtered or making fun of your proclivity for goats doesn't count.

I also support CheeseKurdish independence. I actually can't wait for you folks to tackle Iran, it should be great fun to watch on CNN. And Iran is going to spank your asses badly. :popcorn:

Your signature is rather ironic. You claim to be fighting ignorant people, though your the only ignorent one here;)

Have a look at this:
Iran_ethnic_groups_map.png

The only group that wishes for unity is the persians, and they are even less than half the population of Iran;)

And no, i won't respond to this either.

Last edited:

I'm funny that way.

Show me. That I think you're a bit of an ass, that you would get slaughtered or making fun of your proclivity for goats doesn't count.

So your admitting to being scared of turks:lol:

Go look back on the earlier pages (18-23 or something, i can't remember)

So your admitting to being scared of turks:lol:

Go look back on the earlier pages (18-23 or something, i can't remember)
As I said, back it up punk.

Forum List

Back