Supreme Court. Individual mandate

I wonder how many people were reported to "Attack Watch" for calling this a tax. I hope the have health ins because I suspect they are on the top of the IRS audit list.

How can people be ok with this?

I wonder how many people were reported to "Attack Watch" for calling this a tax. I hope the have health ins because I suspect they are on the top of the IRS audit list.

How can people be ok with this?

They can't audit what they can't find and if there isn't a paper trail

It was not ruled constitutional it was ruled a tax

Let us not quibble like a liberal.

If it's a tax, said the SCOTUS Majority, then it is Constitutional.

They held that the terminology used explicitly BY Congress wasn't controlling. So they DECLARED the penalty to be, instead, a "tax."

Thus, it was ruled as being allegedly Constitutional.

But it does raise a couple (at least) of interesting questions:

If it is a tax, why did the anti-injunction law not prohibit even hearing the case yet? Because, they intoned, it's not THAT kind of tax!

And if it's a tax, why is any part of the Act Constitutional when it originated in the SENATE, not the House, as the Constitution demands of tax bills? SCOTUS didn't even bother to answer that one.

All I will say is obamacare is no longer healthcare but a massive tax and the government has been given the go ahead to tax anything it wants too. The reason Roberts rules it is a tax because many of the sections had tax verbiage in it.

Let's be blunt.

Roberts contorted himself for reasons that have exactly nothing to do with the Constitution.

He had to contort himself to claim that the penalty is a "tax," for otherwise he would have been duty bound to overturn ObamaCrap.

I cannot understand WHY he felt it so fucking important to preserve that mess that he violated his oath to "reach" his obviously fallacious "conclusion."

Fuck him. He has no honor at all.

Devils' advocate here. According to some pundits, Roberts's CONSERVATIVE principles include judicial restraint. What he basically said is "This may be a piece of shit. Our job is not to determine if it is a piece of shit. Our job is to determine if it is constitutional. Congress has the power to tax. If you don't like the tax, replace Congress."

Charles Payne suggested that Roberts was "crazy like a fox". I tend to agree.

Devils' advocate here. According to some pundits, Roberts's CONSERVATIVE principles include judicial restraint. What he basically said is "This may be a piece of shit. Our job is not to determine if it is a piece of shit. Our job is to determine if it is constitutional. Congress has the power to tax. If you don't like the tax, replace Congress."

I would agree IF the ObamaCare Law had been passed AS a tax.

But it deliberately was not.

Congress itself labeled it a "penalty." They had previously contemplated calling it a tax, but rejected that option. And their rejection was VERY deliberate. It was no oversight and not a "mistake."

It is NOT for the SCOTUS to alter the WORDS chosen by Congress to force fit a required "finding" into one of their opinions in order to "salvage" a law. The CHOICE made BY Congress should have been scrupulously honored. Instead, CJ Roberts is GUILTY himself of blatant activism by re-writing the legislation and by straining to "interpret" clear words which required no interpretation. That aint exactly "conservative."

If he had to strain and bend and twist like a damn pretzel to reach such a conclusion, as Roberts did, then that SHOULD have been a clue that he had strayed FAR off the reservation. And if it WERE a "tax" despite the carefully chosen words of Congress, then why was it allowed to stand when it was an apportioned tax, why was it allowed to stand when it originated in the fucking Senate and why did the Court reach ANY decision on it when the anti-injunction law forbids such a thing until someone has PAID that tax (which, obviously, nobody yet has or could have)?

A fully dishonest "opinion" by the CJ. Absolutely shameful.

The wailing continues, I see.

umadbro.jpg

No... it doesn't mean that. Idiots.

I just joke about that because every time something happens that is good for the conservatives, they always speak about how it's some sort of mandate against liberalism and that things will never go right again for the democrats.

THIS IS AMERICA PEOPLE. WE FLIP FLOP LIKE CRAZY. Obama being elected never meant there wouldn't be another Bush. And if Obama loses, it doesn't mean there won't be a president soon more liberal than him(which is of course not all that liberal. Left of our previous ones yeah, but that's for a whole other thread).

You can't believe in political mandates in this country. It'll only hurt you as you get way too cocky for your own good.

For once I agree with you. The pendulum swings. It always has and always will.

Does anyone remember our president claiming his mandate was not a tax? Well the truth is now made obvious- the president lied the people were screwed. This can actually be used against democrats now. They lied- all of them that signed onto this. It is an unpopular bill- always has been. As to the "Constitutional Scholar" claim? If he was so spectacular they'd have upheld the mandate as was written- they did not.

Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax - ABC News

You dumb shit, it's a fee to those who don't have, but can afford health insurance. They're the only ones who have to pay. Are you really this stupid?

Wrong, dumber shit. It is not a fee, it is a tax, so said the Supreme Court.

Where does the money come from to pay for the 50 million or so Americans that are now going to get FREE health insurance?

Last edited:
Just another NWO Global Elite rig-job. Roberts a Conservative? Once again, the joke's on us the People. What a scam.

Looked at from a sober perspective, who are the winners here? Obama? I don't think so - this could actually harm his chance for reelection. Romney? Not hardly.

Who benefits, then? Kaiser and Blue Cross, along with ancillary health care providers. Roberts served the corporations, as does Obama.

The motto of the U.S. Government is "fascism 4EVAH!"

Congress itself labeled it a "penalty." They had previously contemplated calling it a tax, but rejected that option. And their rejection was VERY deliberate. It was no oversight and not a "mistake."

It is NOT for the SCOTUS to alter the WORDS chosen by Congress to force fit a required "finding" into one of their opinions in order to "salvage" a law. The CHOICE made BY Congress should have been scrupulously honored. Instead, CJ Roberts is GUILTY himself of blatant activism by re-writing the legislation and by straining to "interpret" clear words which required no interpretation. That aint exactly "conservative."

If he had to strain and bend and twist like a damn pretzel to reach such a conclusion, as Roberts did, then that SHOULD have been a clue that he had strayed FAR off the reservation. And if it WERE a "tax" despite the carefully chosen words of Congress, then why was it allowed to stand when it was an apportioned tax, why was it allowed to stand when it originated in the fucking Senate and why did the Court reach ANY decision on it when the anti-injunction law forbids such a thing until someone has PAID that tax (which, obviously, nobody yet has or could have)?

Have you read the opinion?

Have you?

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts did right in saving Obamacare - NY Daily News

Have you?

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts did right in saving Obamacare - NY Daily News

Of course not, the entire thing (all opinions) is almost 200 pages long.

If you could tell me on which page it is that they change the words of the law, that'd be great.

Last edited:

^^^^ This ^^^^

Forum List

Back