Supreme Court. Individual mandate

The conservative Chief Justice and the liberal President have ensured the survival of Obamacare.

The court has slapped down the congress for overreaching.
Congress can not force you buy the insurance and that the mandate it now a tax.
It gave the States their power back. They can now opt out of the expansion in Medicare and Medicaid.
If 26 or more states withdraw from the expansion, the Health Care Act loses the funding needed.
Since it takes much of the funding away for the Health Care Act, it needs be redone or all of it needs repealed.

OK, so you don't understand what happened? Go read the analyses again, all of them.

I understand what happened, Roberts bitch slapped far right libertarians by agreeing with them that the mandate is not allowed under the commerce clause or the necessary and proper clause, just like you said.

If you wanna stop this shit from happening you have to stop Democrats from winning elections at all costs......that means stop throwing your vote away on Ron Paul and what's that other idiot's name who helped Clinton beat Bush....

The individual mandate was invented by the conservative Heritage Foundation and supported by Republicans.

The individual mandate was invented by the conservative Heritage Foundation and supported by Republicans.

-

Corporate Media's War on Obamacare

By Media Matters for America

24 June 12

FOCUS: Corporate Media's War on Obamacare

And the Heritage Foundation had enough sense to acknowledge that what first seemed like a good idea to them was actually not a good idea.

Too bad the President and the derp supporters of ObamaCrap in Congress couldn't be as honest.

650 billion in new taxes over the next 10 years that effects those earning less then 250k a year...take that middle class and the poor.

-

Corporate Media's War on Obamacare

By Media Matters for America

24 June 12

FOCUS: Corporate Media's War on Obamacare

And the Heritage Foundation had enough sense to acknowledge that what first seemed like a good idea to them was actually not a good idea.

Too bad the President and the derp supporters of ObamaCrap in Congress couldn't be as honest.

So they lied? Or they went political partisan?

No... it doesn't mean that. Idiots.

I just joke about that because every time something happens that is good for the conservatives, they always speak about how it's some sort of mandate against liberalism and that things will never go right again for the democrats.

THIS IS AMERICA PEOPLE. WE FLIP FLOP LIKE CRAZY. Obama being elected never meant there wouldn't be another Bush. And if Obama loses, it doesn't mean there won't be a president soon more liberal than him(which is of course not all that liberal. Left of our previous ones yeah, but that's for a whole other thread).

You can't believe in political mandates in this country. It'll only hurt you as you get way too cocky for your own good.

Continue living deluded then, I guess.

Me. I don't live under the false confidence that any sort of victory means permanent or even long term change. It's just a changing of the winds.

The court has slapped down the congress for overreaching.
Congress can not force you buy the insurance and that the mandate it now a tax.
It gave the States their power back. They can now opt out of the expansion in Medicare and Medicaid.
If 26 or more states withdraw from the expansion, the Health Care Act loses the funding needed.
Since it takes much of the funding away for the Health Care Act, it needs be redone or all of it needs repealed.

OK, so you don't understand what happened? Go read the analyses again, all of them.

I understand what happened, Roberts bitch slapped far right libertarians by agreeing with them that the mandate is not allowed under the commerce clause or the necessary and proper clause, just like you said.

Not at all. Roberts said the role of the Court was to make sure legislation comported with the Constitution. Thus he substituted taxation for commerce clause.

This will rank him with Marshall and Warren if he keeps it up. Wow!

Not at all. Roberts said the role of the Court was to make sure legislation comported with the Constitution. Thus he substituted taxation for commerce clause.

If you just look at the politics of the judgement, it looks like an objective judge who really interprets the constgitutionbut in reality, Roberts ruled that the individualmadate AS WRITTEN in the law was unconstitutional and then ruled it could be constitutional as argued by the president's attorneys. That in essence is a legislative court maneuver. The law has to be interpreted as written, not argued. The attorneys could say anything, and essentially did. Listen to Obama now. "It is NOT a tax!"

If you just look at the politics of the judgement, it looks like an objective judge who really interprets the constgitutionbut in reality, Roberts ruled that the individualmadate AS WRITTEN in the law was unconstitutional and then ruled it could be constitutional as argued by the president's attorneys. That in essence is a legislative court maneuver. The law has to be interpreted as written, not argued. The attorneys could say anything, and essentially did. Listen to Obama now. "It is NOT a tax!"

Yup. I think it will go down as one of the shittiest Court decisions in history. In one swipe it rewrites a bill (converting a mandate to a tax) and absolves Congress and the President of passing a bill based on a lie - both parties insisted it was not a tax.

Yup. I think it will go down as one of the shittiest Court decisions in history. In one swipe it rewrites a bill (converting a mandate to a tax) and absolves Congress and the President of passing a bill based on a lie - both parties insisted it was not a tax.

The interesting point I read today is that was originally introduced as a tax and some Democrats balked at that and knew it could never be passed that way. That is when it was changed to a "penalty."

The interesting point I read today is that was originally introduced as a tax and some Democrats balked at that and knew it could never be passed that way. That is when it was changed to a "penalty."

Yep. In one sense you have to admire the 'evil genius' of it all. I don't know whether Obama actually knew Roberts would play along - but denying it was a tax, and then having the Court decree it to be one so it would be constitutional was just brilliant. We sure got fucked.

Yep. In one sense you have to admire the 'evil genius' of it all. I don't know whether Obama actually knew Roberts would play along - but denying it was a tax, and then having the Court decree it to be one so it would be constitutional was just brilliant. We sure got fucked.

Well, we have to remember Robert's statement about it being a tax, "not saying it was fair or wise". Was that supposed to get play in the media? Roberts was definitetly saying it was constitutional but questioned if it was fair or wise to do. In other words, "Call your Congressman, Get out and vote..." He didn't agree with the tax but it was constitutional.

jesus, what a group of clowns. The decision was never in doubt except that there were 5 republican appointees on the court. According to your statements of the illegality of the individual mandate, social security, medicare, and federal taxes would be judged illegal. And to hell with settled law.

Forum List

Back