Teacher in Ireland arrested and put in prison for not using woke pronouns

An employer can set standards and policies regarding the treatment of both customers and other employees.

If this guy didn't want to follow the school's policies he could have avoided the entire situation by simply calling every student by their first or last names. But he wanted to make an issue of it and it got him fired.

His choice.

Considering governments have rules protecting employees from discrimination, those standards have limits.

Yes it is. And it is something an employer has the right to do. The Govt cannot, but a private employer can.
Didn't you read the Labour Laws??

"Also see Moore v Knox Hotel and Resort Ltd, UD 27/2004, where the EAT stated that summary dismissal as a consequence of gross misconduct could be justified when the trust and confidence between the parties had been irrevocably broken:

"[The claimant's actions] destroyed the respondent's trust and confidence in the claimant and rendered the continuation of that employment relationship impossible, thereby justifying her […] dismissal”.

They are LABOUR LAWS; they apply to All/ PRIVATE EMPLOYERS!!!

The School Board is in the wrong here as there is NO WAY the Teacher is guilty of "Gross misconduct".

Greg

Last edited:
So again, an Employer can force me to say "I support Joe Biden"?

What about forcing me to vote for him?

They could make "I love Joe Biden" T-shirts part of the required dress code.

They have no way to know how you vote, votes are secret.

But your employer can compel you to say "good morning, welcome to Wendy's"

Your employer can compel you to use ma'am and Sir when dealing with customers/clients.

Your employer can compel you to not use words they do not agree with.

Nope. An employer has ever right to control what is said in their workplace.

Well employee protection laws have something to say about that.

The first two don't go against a person's moral beliefs.

Making someone call a boy not a boy does, and has nothing to do with the job at hand, instead it has to do with someone ELSE's moral choice, and forcing you to accept it.

Considering governments have rules protecting employees from discrimination, those standards have limits.
This guy wasn't discriminated against. He blatantly refused to follow school policy. Then he violated a no trespass order.

This guy wasn't discriminated against. He blatantly refused to follow school policy. Then he violated a no trespass order.

He was discriminated against, you just like the form of discrimination applied to him.

And then there is the true story.

According to Irish media, which quoted Justice Michael Quinn, Burke was placed on paid administrative leave from Wilson’s Hospital School, County Westmeath, on Aug. 22, following an alleged dispute over the use of pronouns for a transgender student.

The suspension was pending the conclusion of a disciplinary process (here , here, here and here ).

The school’s Board of Management (BoM) later secured a temporary High Court order that prevented Burke from attending the school premises or teaching classes after he was said to not be adhering to the terms of his suspension.

On Sept. 5, Burke was found guilty of contempt of court for continuing to attend the school premises.
He was suspended from his job from refusing to pretend a biological girl is a boy (or vice versa). Then he’s jailed for trying to show up to his job. Yea , he didn’t play the game so he was removed from his job and ultimately jailed. Not using these silly pronouns started this whole thing.

If he violated the school's policy regarding pronouns why shouldn't he be fired?
It does not rise to the standard of "Gross Misconduct". It is also not clear at all that it was "School Policy"; the only reference to it was something about the Board "recommending", but I may even be wrong on that.

Greg

Well employee protection laws have something to say about that.

The first two don't go against a person's moral beliefs.

Making someone call a boy not a boy does, and has nothing to do with the job at hand, instead it has to do with someone ELSE's moral choice, and forcing you to accept it.
Once again he didn't have to call any student anything but their names and doing that would not have violated school policy but he wanted to make a point and it got him fired.

Anyway this whole pronoun thing is stupid because no one usually refers to a person by any pronoun (other than you) if that person is present. At least I don't.

All because he refused to say they as opposed to he. This is science people a DNA test will prove that student is a "he". Why are leftists science deniers?

He was suspended from his job from refusing to pretend a biological girl is a boy (or vice versa). Then he’s jailed for trying to show up to his job. Yea , he didn’t play the game so he was removed from his job and ultimately jailed. Not using these silly pronouns started this whole thing.

Read the thread, this has been addressed ad nauseam.

It does not rise to the standard of "Gross Misconduct". It is also not clear at all that it was "School Policy"; the only reference to it was something about the Board "recommending", but I may even be wrong on that.

Greg
Like I said it's Ireland

How do you know what their labor laws are or what the contract with the school allows? If he violated the contract by refusing to follow policy then he should have been fired

He was discriminated against, you just like the form of discrimination applied to him.
No I really think the whole pronoun thing is stupid. BUT if it was school policy and he violated that policy then it's the teachers own fault.

We do know that he violated a court ordered no trespass and THAT is the reason he was arrested as he should have been

All because he refused to say they as opposed to he. This is science people a DNA test will prove that student is a "he". Why are leftists science deniers?

Actually it is grammar, not science.

The Blaze, Salon, Breitbart, Rawstory and other far left and far right websites spin so damn much, they mislead readers and continue to spew BS. I wish people would stop using such spin sites, the increase the difficulty for having an honest discussion.

You sure it was "school Policy"?

"The disciplinary process commenced after Burke publicly voiced his opposition to the school principal's request to address a transitioning student by the pronoun "they" and by a different name."

It was a request by a Principal; NOT a school policy. Burke said "No". That is NOT Gross Misconduct!!!

Greg

You sure it was "school Policy"?

"The disciplinary process commenced after Burke publicly voiced his opposition to the school principal's request to address a transitioning student by the pronoun "they" and by a different name."

It was a request by a Principal; NOT a school policy. Burke said "No". That is NOT Gross Misconduct!!!

Greg
Doesn't really matter as he was arrested for violating a court order and not for using the wrong pronoun.

And again that was his choice

Doesn't the school principal set school policy?

Forum List

Back