Thanksgiving

When I want you to speak, cowshit, I will shove my fist up your asshole and move your jaw with my hand. Until I do that, shut your cocksuckers.

Modern day Thanksgiving celebration is nothing like those early ones. Interesting details if true. I am no expert on this history but here it is.

The Christian group known as the Separatists (later called Pilgrims) generally shunned holidays, but periodically proclaimed a Day of Thanksgiving and Praise in response to evidence of God's favor or a Day of Humiliation and Fasting in response to God's perceived displeasure. These feast and fast days were usually held on the day of special sermons called "Lecture Day," which was Thursday in Massachusetts.

Link

That said no I do not believe Thanksgiving would be considered a Christian holiday in the strictest sense of the word. The tradition of Thanksgiving seems to be rooted in Christian symbolism in that the pioneers used the celebration to thank God for providing and protecting them.

But in the end, stand down folks, there is no call to arms for a War on Thanksgiving. :razz:

they were giving thanks by celebrating with the people who saved their lives....

I am also pretty darn sure they thanked the almighty god for a good shit too. Does that make shit a christian thing?

they were giving thanks by celebrating with the people who saved their lives
Actually NO

they weren't giving thanks for their lives being saved and lasting through the winder and celebrating with the people who saved them?

Each first Sunday in November a Thanksgiving Festival is held at the Berkeley Plantation in accordance with documentation from 1619. The event fulfills instructions given to the 38 settlers who arrived on the banks of the James River at Berkeley Hundred as documented in the proclamation:

"Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually kept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."

ranting fuckwits are obvious.

If you don't believe in God maybe you should work and not get that holiday pay.

I am not an atheist or a Christian, and I have chosen to work all holidays, in my seasonal tourism community. This gives those that do enjoy family and friends and food and football, a great chance to be together and I get to stay very busy with happy people who found businesses open, so they could browse and purchase. I also enjoy working weekends, much to the delight of my co-workers. I like to work when it is busy and so I choose my days and hours.

Thanksgiving is the only true American holiday and I spend much time on the phone with loved ones, before going into work, that I am so grateful for.

I'm not a Christian but I am thankful to God and I do think the day that was created to give him thanks should be respected as that.

It appears the origins were not "God" related, "most Americans are familiar with the Pilgrim's Thanksgiving Feast of 1621, but few realize that it was not the first festival of its kind in North America. Long before Europeans set foot in the Americas, native peoples sought to insure a good harvest with dances and rituals such as the Green Corn Dance of the Cherokees."The Pilgrims, with a puritanical rejection of public religious display, held a non-religious Thanksgiving feast, aside from saying grace. In fact, they seem to have used the three days for feasting, playing games, and even drinking liquor."

Smithsonian: Thanksgiving in North America: From Local Harvests to National Holiday

?????

Yeah, I think it is.

Pretty much. It's the only Christian holiday that can't be claimed for any other thing but giving Thanks to God.

Thanksgiving isn't about giving thanks to god. It's about giving thanks to whoever you want to give thanks to. If that's god, cool... if not, cool too.

As an atheist, I celebrate thanksgiving too... and I certainly don't thank god. I'll thank god if I get food poisoning and die... cause he's most to thank for all the shitty stuff in life!
Brain washed as ever\. Thanksgiving was created to give a day to thanking God. That is a fact.

When I want you to speak, cowshit, I will shove my fist up your asshole and move your jaw with my hand. Until I do that, shut your cocksuckers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtRoZ5FWNc]Chris Griffin- Whaaaat? - YouTube[/ame]

Thanksgiving is the only true American holiday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag]Family Guy - Stewie "Say WHAAAT?" (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

And what of the 4th of July?

Yes for sure. I should have said, "in comparison to other countries that celebrate Thanksgiving" we are the true one. It is an American holiday. Canadians also celebrate it, but on a different date, if I recall correctly.

"Days of fasting and thanksgiving on an annual or occasional basis became common practice in other New England settlements as well. During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress designated one or more days of thanksgiving a year, and in 1789 George Washington issued the first Thanksgiving proclamation by the national government of the United States; in it, he called upon Americans to express their gratitude for the happy conclusion to the country’s war of independence and the successful ratification of the U.S. Constitution. His successors John Adams and James Madison also designated days of thanks during their presidencies.

In 1817, New York became the first of several states to officially adopt an annual Thanksgiving holiday; each celebrated it on a different day, however, and the American South remained largely unfamiliar with the tradition. In 1827, the noted magazine editor and prolific writer Sarah Josepha Hale—author, among countless other things, of the nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb”—launched a campaign to establish Thanksgiving as a national holiday. For 36 years, she published numerous editorials and sent scores of letters to governors, senators, presidents and other politicians. Abraham Lincoln finally heeded her request in 1863, at the height of the Civil War, in a proclamation entreating all Americans to ask God to “commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife” and to “heal the wounds of the nation.” He scheduled Thanksgiving for the final Thursday in November, and it was celebrated on that day every year until 1939, when Franklin D. Roosevelt moved the holiday up a week in an attempt to spur retail sales during the Great Depression. Roosevelt’s plan, known derisively as Franksgiving, was met with passionate opposition, and in 1941 the president reluctantly signed a bill making Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday in November."

Thanksgiving - Page 2 — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Oh bitch, you know if you want to play that game, look at the history of Christmas, and tell me it's not a holiday for Pagans.

Again this is about Thanksgiving day, not about how the true meaning of CHRISTmas was stolen.

It appears the origins were not "God" related, "most Americans are familiar with the Pilgrim's Thanksgiving Feast of 1621, but few realize that it was not the first festival of its kind in North America. Long before Europeans set foot in the Americas, native peoples sought to insure a good harvest with dances and rituals such as the Green Corn Dance of the Cherokees."The Pilgrims, with a puritanical rejection of public religious display, held a non-religious Thanksgiving feast, aside from saying grace. In fact, they seem to have used the three days for feasting, playing games, and even drinking liquor."

Smithsonian: Thanksgiving in North America: From Local Harvests to National Holiday

From your link:

"Because of all this good fortune, colonists held a day of Thanksgiving and prayer on June 30. This 1623 festival appears to have been the origin of our Thanksgiving Day because it combined a religious and social celebration."

Ouch.

Forum List

Back