Thanksgiving

It appears the origins were not "God" related, "most Americans are familiar with the Pilgrim's Thanksgiving Feast of 1621, but few realize that it was not the first festival of its kind in North America. Long before Europeans set foot in the Americas, native peoples sought to insure a good harvest with dances and rituals such as the Green Corn Dance of the Cherokees."The Pilgrims, with a puritanical rejection of public religious display, held a non-religious Thanksgiving feast, aside from saying grace. In fact, they seem to have used the three days for feasting, playing games, and even drinking liquor."

Smithsonian: Thanksgiving in North America: From Local Harvests to National Holiday

The American Thanksgiving Day was created to give Thanks to the God Washington believed in the God Lincoln believed in the God the Pilgrims believed in and the God FDR believed in
Now what Religion would that God be found in?

OK atheist put your money where your belief is. on thanksgiving day do not take off that Christian holiday with pay. After all Thanksgiving is giving thanks that thing you ridicule christian's about.

You’re truly an idiot on many levels.

Because your stupid doesn't make me an idiot. Don't be pissed that I have shown you why Thanksgiving was created.

OK atheist put your money where your belief is. on thanksgiving day do not take off that Christian holiday with pay. After all Thanksgiving is giving thanks that thing you ridicule christian's about.

I am agnostic and I celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas...It isn't about religion to me, it is about family...............And Turkey and gravy.

I am agnostic and I celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas...It isn't about religion to me, it is about family...............And Turkey and gravy.

People are confusing the true reason Thanksgiving was created and what they think it's for.

People are confusing the true reason Thanksgiving was created and what they think it's for.

This year will be the first Thanksgiving in a few years I don't have to work. So I am thankful I get to spend it with my family.

If you don't believe in God maybe you should work and not get that holiday pay.

I am not an atheist or a Christian, and I have chosen to work all holidays, in my seasonal tourism community. This gives those that do enjoy family and friends and food and football, a great chance to be together and I get to stay very busy with happy people who found businesses open, so they could browse and purchase. I also enjoy working weekends, much to the delight of my co-workers. I like to work when it is busy and so I choose my days and hours.

Thanksgiving is the only true American holiday and I spend much time on the phone with loved ones, before going into work, that I am so grateful for.

I'm not a Christian but I am thankful to God and I do think the day that was created to give him thanks should be respected as that.

alright.... so since you are NOT a christian... are YOU working and forgoing the pay?

Pretty much. It's the only Christian holiday that can't be claimed for any other thing but giving Thanks to God.

Thanksgiving isn't about giving thanks to god. It's about giving thanks to whoever you want to give thanks to. If that's god, cool... if not, cool too.

As an atheist, I celebrate thanksgiving too... and I certainly don't thank god. I'll thank god if I get food poisoning and die... cause he's most to thank for all the shitty stuff in life!
Brain washed as ever\. Thanksgiving was created to give a day to thanking God. That is a fact.

:lmao:

giving thanks is giving thanks.....

are you saying the pilgrims were not thankful for the Indians saving their asses from starvation and death?... cuz god sure as hell wasnt doing shit for them.

Ok.

So what?

It appears the origins were not "God" related, "most Americans are familiar with the Pilgrim's Thanksgiving Feast of 1621, but few realize that it was not the first festival of its kind in North America. Long before Europeans set foot in the Americas, native peoples sought to insure a good harvest with dances and rituals such as the Green Corn Dance of the Cherokees."The Pilgrims, with a puritanical rejection of public religious display, held a non-religious Thanksgiving feast, aside from saying grace. In fact, they seem to have used the three days for feasting, playing games, and even drinking liquor."

Smithsonian: Thanksgiving in North America: From Local Harvests to National Holiday

From your link:

"Because of all this good fortune, colonists held a day of Thanksgiving and prayer on June 30. This 1623 festival appears to have been the origin of our Thanksgiving Day because it combined a religious and social celebration."

Ouch.

Ouch not... the contruct for Thanksgiving lies within each person. Clearly there were those who did not celebrate in a religious or spiritual sense and there are hose who did.
as the source provided.

I am not an atheist or a Christian, and I have chosen to work all holidays, in my seasonal tourism community. This gives those that do enjoy family and friends and food and football, a great chance to be together and I get to stay very busy with happy people who found businesses open, so they could browse and purchase. I also enjoy working weekends, much to the delight of my co-workers. I like to work when it is busy and so I choose my days and hours.

Thanksgiving is the only true American holiday and I spend much time on the phone with loved ones, before going into work, that I am so grateful for.

I'm not a Christian but I am thankful to God and I do think the day that was created to give him thanks should be respected as that.

alright.... so since you are NOT a christian... are YOU working and forgoing the pay?
I just said I do give thanks to God or did you miss that part?

Some people thank God for their blessings and some people do not and some people have to work and some people do not.

I am not sure if it gets anymore complicated than that really.

The history of the day and how it was celebrated is of course open for discussion and interpretation. It does not much matter to me since I do give thanks to God for my blessings every day. To each his own works for me.

From the Library of Congress if interested.

Thanksgiving Timeline, 1541 - 2001

Forum List

Back