That's what that means?

Drumhead

Rookie
Oct 1, 2013
I was inspired to start this based on a casual context in another thread.

Some very common songs and bands refer to what seems incredibly benign, but the actual meaning of a word or phrase makes you say "Oh wow - I never knew that!".

For example, and this is what was discussed in the other thread, Steely Dan's song "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". Commonly thought to be a telephone number. It turns out "number" is a slang reference to a joint (terms which meant more back then than they do now).
To further emphasize this reference, Cheap Trick did a song called "Surrender". If you listen around 2:40 into that song, they mention "rolling numbers". Admittedly, it is easy to pass over that without a second thought.

So that's the spirit behind this. Does anyone have any others they'd like to share?

Oh, and speaking of Steely Dan, anyone care to guess what the hell Steely Dan means?

>> Mary is strapping on a rubber penis. "Steely Dan III from Yokohama," she says, caressing the shaft.
"What happen to Steely Dan I?"

"He was torn in two by a bull dyke. She could cave in a lead pipe."

"And Steely Dan II?"

"Chewed to bits by a famished candiru in the Upper Baboonsasshole. And don't say 'wheeeeeeee!' this time." <<

-- The Naked Lunch, by William S. Burroughs

• Banned
>> Mary is strapping on a rubber penis. "Steely Dan III from Yokohama," she says, caressing the shaft.

"And Steely Dan II?"

"Chewed to bits by a famished candiru in the Upper Baboonsasshole. And don't say 'wheeeeeeee!' this time." <<

Nice detail there. I see you must have read the book. :)

"And Steely Dan II?"

Nice detail there. I see you must have read the book. :)

That passage does make one curious to read it. But I must confess -- Wiki read it and I looked over its shoulder. :redface:

The subject being referred to in the title of Cyndi Lauper's song, "She-Bop," is that of female masturbation.

• Banned
The subject being referred to in the title of Cyndi Lauper's song, "She-Bop," is that of female masturbation.

I would say yes. Her video for this song has several subtle references to masturbation. The one I remember most was her in the sidecar of the motorcycle at the gas station and pointing to a sign that said "Self Service". But there were others I believe.

Good job!

Forum List

Back