The 2nd Civil War

Yeah,the mini-14 is not known for it's accuracy but it is durable. A great knock around gun.

I had one several years ago. I loved that rifle, even if it couldn't shoot worth a damn. Great truck gun. I traded it when I decided I wasn't keeping a rifle that wouldn't shoot accurately.

See, my Ranch Rifle is very accurate. I have it sighted for 50 yards, and I can hit anything with it, at 50 yards. I suspect that if I sighted it in for 100, it would do fine. .223 is a good round, I'm just not good at compensating for drop.

You must have got a good one ,or its been accurized,did you buy it second hand?
I'd be curious to see what kind of grouping you could get at a 100 yards with some optics on it.
And yeah the .223/5.56 is a great round. Accurate with little recoil,it is a little light though. But that goes back to "wound one,and it takes two to carry him out" theory.

I'd be curious to see what kind of grouping you could get at a 100 yards with some optics on it.
And yeah the .223/5.56 is a great round. Accurate with little recoil,it is a little light though. But that goes back to "wound one,and it takes two to carry him out" theory.

I have two of them, the original and the Ranch Rifle. The original is from 1975, the Ranch Rifle from 2012.

I will say the Ranch Rifle is the better of the two. I never liked the front sight on the original. That said, I haven't had problems with accuracy with either of them. I bought the first one because I loved my 10/22 and wanted a .223 version of it. I bought the second because I don't like the front sight on the first, nor the way the bolt works.

Yeah,the mini-14 is not known for it's accuracy but it is durable. A great knock around gun.

I had one several years ago. I loved that rifle, even if it couldn't shoot worth a damn. Great truck gun. I traded it when I decided I wasn't keeping a rifle that wouldn't shoot accurately.

See, my Ranch Rifle is very accurate. I have it sighted for 50 yards, and I can hit anything with it, at 50 yards. I suspect that if I sighted it in for 100, it would do fine. .223 is a good round, I'm just not good at compensating for drop.

Mine was not accurate at all. When I first tried to mount a spare scope I had on it, I couldn't keep the shots on the paper at 100 yards. I ended up strapping it to a sandbagged gun vise to try and sight it in. The spread for 5 rounds averaged 9 inches.

The "prey" isn't hunting you...a predator with business to kill you is a different matter. Especially one equipped with thermals, NGVs, helios with spotlights or hell, just the ability to burn you out of the woods if there is actually a shooting war.

Get a grip beltway butt sniffer ... If it gets ugly you won't be doing much more than riding a bike and flying a kite.

I have two of them, the original and the Ranch Rifle. The original is from 1975, the Ranch Rifle from 2012.

I will say the Ranch Rifle is the better of the two. I never liked the front sight on the original. That said, I haven't had problems with accuracy with either of them. I bought the first one because I loved my 10/22 and wanted a .223 version of it. I bought the second because I don't like the front sight on the first, nor the way the bolt works.

Now the 10/22 is, in my humble opinion, the finest .22 rifle for the money. I have put thousands of rounds thru mine and never had a hiccup.

Mine was not accurate at all. When I first tried to mount a spare scope I had on it, I couldn't keep the shots on the paper at 100 yards. I ended up strapping it to a sandbagged gun vise to try and sight it in. The spread for 5 rounds averaged 9 inches.

Sounds about right.......:tongue:

You can make napalm from gasoline and styrofoam. With a fleet of home-made quad-rotor drones, who needs guns?

Let's think in modern terms if we're going to discuss efficient tactics for killing each other by the millions.

Now the 10/22 is, in my humble opinion, the finest .22 rifle for the money. I have put thousands of rounds thru mine and never had a hiccup.

Love the 10/22. I couldnt even began to count the number of squirrels,rabbits,snakes and various nuisance animals I've dropped with mine. And no doubt the best .22 for the money. And of course you can buy fifty round mags for it....:eusa_angel:

That's my experience with the Mini-14's as well. Maybe they have inconsistent quality?

A bunch of us bought Vaquero's (.45 long Colt revolvers) and 6 of them were great, but one guy got one that sprayed all over the place. Ruger had to replace it. Maybe you got a bad one?

That's my experience with the Mini-14's as well. Maybe they have inconsistent quality?

A bunch of us bought Vaquero's (.45 long Colt revolvers) and 6 of them were great, but one guy got one that sprayed all over the place. Ruger had to replace it. Maybe you got a bad one?

Mini-14s have always been iffy on accuracy. Most were not as bad as the one I had. I have read that the newer ones can be tack drivers, but I haven't tested that.

Mini-14s have always been iffy on accuracy. Most were not as bad as the one I had. I have read that the newer ones can be tack drivers, but I haven't tested that.

The newer one is definitely better than the older one, but my complaints on the older one were never related to accuracy. The bolt is just stupid on it, it's external and too close to where I place my hands. Why they designed it exposed like that is crazy. The front sight is set too far back on the barrel, making sighting with it tricky. It's not trued to the tip of the rifle. And I had it fixed years ago, but the trigger pull was screwed up originally. It would catch, not smooth at all. But a gunsmith took care of that decades ago.

The newer one is definitely better than the older one, but my complaints on the older one were never related to accuracy. The bolt is just stupid on it, it's external and too close to where I place my hands. Why they designed it exposed like that is crazy. The front sight is set too far back on the barrel, making sighting with it tricky. It's not trued to the tip of the rifle. And I had it fixed years ago, but the trigger pull was screwed up originally. It would catch, not smooth at all. But a gunsmith took care of that decades ago.

I replaced my Mini-14 with a Marlin lever action .44 magnum. I have a .44 Special shot-shell in the chamber and the rest are magnums. With the Hornady LeverEvolution rounds I get good accuracy out to 100 yards. That's all I need from it. And there is something fun about shooting a lever gun.

BUT this is a powder keg. A financial crises, or too much greed for power by Obama, revocation of civil rights, or any other spark, and we will erupt into civil war. ....

You might be overdoing it a wee bit there..........

I replaced my Mini-14 with a Marlin lever action .44 magnum. I have a .44 Special shot-shell in the chamber and the rest are magnums. With the Hornady LeverEvolution rounds I get good accuracy out to 100 yards. That's all I need from it. And there is something fun about shooting a lever gun.

I hear you. That's the way I am with the 30-30. The 1894 is the quintessential cowboy rifle.

The group I'm with bought all the revolvers for Cowboy Action Shooting, and in a cruel turn of events, the 30-30 doesn't qualify - only handgun rounds are acceptable. You're .44, though not historically accurate, would be fine. My 30-30, which IS historically accurate, isn't. It's okay, we bought 2 .44-40 chambered lever actions as a group, and two coach guns that we all share.

If I can hide from prey I can hide from a predator.

I dunno, with that laser thing on his shoulder and the heat-signature vision and all those darn things must be pretty hard to hide from. Although I guess Arnie did pull it off that one time...

I hear you. That's the way I am with the 30-30. The 1894 is the quintessential cowboy rifle.

The group I'm with bought all the revolvers for Cowboy Action Shooting, and in a cruel turn of events, the 30-30 doesn't qualify - only handgun rounds are acceptable. You're .44, though not historically accurate, would be fine. My 30-30, which IS historically accurate, isn't. It's okay, we bought 2 .44-40 chambered lever actions as a group, and two coach guns that we all share.

A guy I used to be friends with was part of a CASS group. I would love to get a Vaquero and a Henry Big Boy in .45 long colt. Just not in the budget this week.

Only if they have the guns and the will to defend their take over.

The military and state and local police have plenty of guns. The US military members are predominately conservative and patriotic. They do not like what is being done in DC.

If there was ever a secession or some kind of coup, the military would side with the people, not the government.

The US military is not going to take up arms against Washington DC in any foreseeable future.

I swear, you people and your twisted fantasies.

The US military does not need to take up arms against DC. But they could not be counted on to fire on US citizens. They could even be expected to leave their duty stations to avoid that type confrontation.

In 1919 the German military, fresh out the armed combat of WWI, when confronted by an insurrection (armed mutiny) by the German navy - an isolated piece of the German revolution (not a civil war, its worth mentioning) - they refused a direct order from their commanders to fire on the sailors.

That was at at a time of a serious revolution - much like is being discussed here - in that instance against the existing power structure throughout Germany. They were combat hardened troops, but they would not fire. There was a standoff for a period of time and then the soldiers began to desert their posts. That wasn't because they had better job prospects elsewhere, because jobs outside of military service were virtually nonexistent.

I think that historical example is a good predictor of how US troops would behave.

Last edited:
Night vision goggles don't tell you everything, A shot from behind, or from the side, for example.

If you can't see what you're shooting at (i.e. at night dumb fuck), you're not going to hit something whether you're behind them or from the side. Hence the NVG. As for being in the woods--you know where you said you'd be--you're one advantage is stealth and concealment which is gone once you fire a shot so, again, at night when the better trained, better equipped, and better staffed adversaries are coming at you... yeah sure squeeze off a shot and see what the response is.

You're a fucking idiot. And yes, you're a fucking idiot in every sense of the word.

You do realize that night scopes are pretty common as are binoculars.
We use them to hunt hogs.

Do the hogs shoot back?

I'm sure in the video-game type of exploits you guys are talking about the shiny gold coin that appears and the power-up meter never runs out.

If the stakes were not going to end in tragedy, it would literally be funny to watch a bunch of rednecks get slaughtered.

Forum List

Back