The Achillies heal of all anti-terrorism efforts.

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
The recent even, once all the facts have come out, may become a glaring example of the difficulty faced by authorities in thier battle to counter politically motivated groups that resort to violence to achive thier goals (aka terrorists).

The equation simply shows that all these bastards have to do is get lucky once, and they can cause massive damage to even a well protected event. The authorities have to be on the ball constantly to make "getting lucky" by the attackers as difficult as possible.

All of the measures taken in an anti-terrorist program are not designed to stop such attacks on thier own. Thier purpose is to make an attack require more steps to be successful, and give the authorities more chances to get lucky, or for the attackers to get unlucky.

Events, locations, and people can be made attack resistant, they can never be made attack-proof.

Every time they ratchet up the anti-terrorism efforts you lose a little bit more freedom. The question is how far are you willing to go to trade freedom for safety.

Every time they ratchet up the anti-terrorism efforts you lose a little bit more freedom. The question is how far are you willing to go to trade freedom for safety.

Loosen gun laws and ask people to be vigilant.

That's one thing the red states have right. There's nothing wrong with having plenty of guns readily available to be aimed at people who would perpetrate terrorism.

The number of terrorist attacks in this century, 13 years is about equal to the number that occurred between 1970 and 2000, 30 years. That number is about equal to the number that occurred between between 1900 and 1970, 70 years. Notice the trend.

The number of terrorist attacks in this century, 13 years is about equal to the number that occurred between 1970 and 2000, 30 years. That number is about equal to the number that occurred between between 1900 and 1970, 70 years. Notice the trend.

Expand please. Not sure what you're getting at.
I'm just saying that the number of terrorist attacks are increasing. During the first half of the 20th century they were very rare. In the second half of the 20th, they became much more common place. In the 21st century they are very common compared to the 20th century.

IMHO, there has not been enough research into the causes and the motivations of perpetrators. I suspect that law enforcement and the legal establishment make this very difficult.

I'm just saying that the number of terrorist attacks are increasing. During the first half of the 20th century they were very rare. In the second half of the 20th, they became much more common place. In the 21st century they are very common compared to the 20th century.

IMHO, there has not been enough research into the causes and the motivations of perpetrators. I suspect that law enforcement and the legal establishment make this very difficult.

its simpler than that. The increase in weapons and explosive technology has made it easier for smaller groups of people to cause more damage. The increase in communications technology has allowed like minded people with the intent of causing havoc for whatever reason, politics, religion, race etc. to meet each other and plan things easier.

100 years ago you had one nut in the town with a 5 shot bolt action rifle and some dynamite. Now that nut has friends he can talk to and access to far worse weapons and things that go boom.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to stop the occasional lunatic terrorist.

As for the terrorists that we can affect by addressing their mainstream cause? Fuck those assholes. That's what the drones are for. :razz:

its simpler than that. The increase in weapons and explosive technology has made it easier for smaller groups of people to cause more damage. The increase in communications technology has allowed like minded people with the intent of causing havoc for whatever reason, politics, religion, race etc. to meet each other and plan things easier.

100 years ago you had one nut in the town with a 5 shot bolt action rifle and some dynamite. Now that nut has friends he can talk to and access to far worse weapons and things that go boom.
Good Point.

That's one thing the red states have right. There's nothing wrong with having plenty of guns readily available to be aimed at people who would perpetrate terrorism.

Boston has concealed carry, it didn't stop this attack. Don't be stupid.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to stop the occasional lunatic terrorist.

As for the terrorists that we can affect by addressing their mainstream cause? Fuck those assholes. That's what the drones are for. :razz:
Most of these people that commit these acts aren't insane. They are not born killers. They are taught often at an early age that violence is an acceptable way to resolve problems. For various reasons they are excluded from most normal childhood activities. They grow up as loners, unable to establish relationships. They become easy pray for extremist groups who often become the family they never had. In their world, there exist themselves and the human race and there is no commonality between the two. The true roots of terrorism as well most crime begin with the parents and their relationship with there kids.

Last edited:
I feel horrible for the folks and families involved in explosions. However, this shows that your government can't protect you.

I feel horrible for the folks and families involved in explosions. However, this shows that your government can't protect you.
Maybe, maybe not. You know about the government failures, because it's all over the media. When they thwart an attack, you may or may not hear about it. Sometimes they don't even know.

And, how many "Muslim" looking people do you think would've been shot in Boston yesterday had that been the case?

And, how many "Muslim" looking people do you think would've been shot in Boston yesterday had that been the case?
I wonder how those gun owners would know who would perpetrate terrorism.

None. What's wrong with you?

Forum List

Back