The Age of Corporate Treason

You see no value in patriotism?

Patriotism to WHAT? To a country that takes it as an obligation to destroy them? To happily participate in their own destruction as evidence of patriotism. That's the Jim Jones school of patriotism. If you believe, you will die for me.

Companies with any decent level of technology owe a debt of gratitude to the country that sponsored the basic research to make it happen. Corporations have never thought decades ahead. These days, they think somewhere between the next fiscal quarter and the next fiscal year.

That would be because the government has incentivized spending and dis-incentivized saving, thus corporations are given the signal that people are more interested in purchasing now rather than in the future. Meaning that they have no reason to attempt any truly long-term forecasting, since they must provide for the present.

Some of you on this forum might have to choose between your two passions - patriotism and capitalism - after reading this excellent article by Ralph Nader.

Why are big, global U.S. corporations so unpatriotic? After all, they were created in the U.S.A., rose to immense profit because of the toil of American workers, are bailed out by American taxpayers whenever they’re in trouble, and are safeguarded abroad by the U.S. military.

Yet these corporate goliaths work their tax lawyers overtime to escape U.S. taxes. Many pay less than you do in federal income taxes. Imagine corporations, like General Electric, have not paid federal income taxes on U.S. profits for years.

The Age of Corporate Treason » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

"rose to immense profit because of the toil of American workers,"
More importantly EVERY SINGLE BIG GLOBAL corporations' primary objectives are:
SCREW THE CUSTOMER every time and everywhere they can RIGHT?? Agree with that?
SCREW THE WORKERS every time and everywhere they can RIGHT??

Do you agree that ALL EVERY SINGLE BIG GLOBAL entity pay less the you do in federal income taxes, federal payroll taxes, federal excise taxes... THEY ALL PAY LESS in all those taxes..RIGHT??
AND YOU AGREE.. ALL EVERY SINGLE BIG GLOBAL evil, unpatriotic company were ALL EVERY ONE BAILED out. EVERY ONE! ALL OF THEM RIGHT!!!

All the time. Everyone.

Truly a terrible UNPATRIOTIC GROUP these evil BIG GLOBAL entities... ALL of them!
NONE of them pay taxes. NONE of them hire Americans! ALL of them prime objective SCREW AMERICANS/AMERICA screw them!
Total PLAN by EVERY ONE of them!

Some of you on this forum might have to choose between your two passions - patriotism and capitalism - after reading this excellent article by Ralph Nader.

Why are big, global U.S. corporations so unpatriotic? After all, they were created in the U.S.A., rose to immense profit because of the toil of American workers, are bailed out by American taxpayers whenever they’re in trouble, and are safeguarded abroad by the U.S. military.

Yet these corporate goliaths work their tax lawyers overtime to escape U.S. taxes. Many pay less than you do in federal income taxes. Imagine corporations, like General Electric, have not paid federal income taxes on U.S. profits for years.

And who has been in charge of this bailout?

Corporations are not "patriotic". People are patriotic. Corporations are vehicles for making money for their owners. Nothing more than that.
And it is the Left that seeks to bail out failures of corporations. The conservative free traders want them to go through bankruptcy.

That's baloney.

You see no value in patriotism?

Patriotism to WHAT? To a country that takes it as an obligation to destroy them? To happily participate in their own destruction as evidence of patriotism. That's the Jim Jones school of patriotism. If you believe, you will die for me.

Companies with any decent level of technology owe a debt of gratitude to the country that sponsored the basic research to make it happen. Corporations have never thought decades ahead. These days, they think somewhere between the next fiscal quarter and the next fiscal year.

A corporation owes nothing beyond what it contracted for.
You have some bizarre ideas about business and companies. I doubt you've done much more than buy a company's product.

Truly a terrible UNPATRIOTIC GROUP these evil BIG GLOBAL entities... ALL of them!
NONE of them pay taxes. NONE of them hire Americans! ALL of them prime objective SCREW AMERICANS/AMERICA screw them!

And enabled by folks like you. :clap2:

Corporations are not "patriotic". People are patriotic. Corporations are vehicles for making money for their owners. Nothing more than that.
And it is the Left that seeks to bail out failures of corporations. The conservative free traders want them to go through bankruptcy.

That's baloney.

I made six assertions. Do you want to claim that all of them are "baloney"? If so you are an ignoramus of gigantic proportions.

That would be because the government has incentivized spending and dis-incentivized saving, thus corporations are given the signal that people are more interested in purchasing now rather than in the future. Meaning that they have no reason to attempt any truly long-term forecasting, since they must provide for the present.

Seems like a pretty weak argument. Unless they feel there's no future market for their products, they'd better plan something. The impetus behind the short term thinking we see today is the musical chairs nature of life at the top of the corporate ladder. These guys just want to make bank and then make a hasty retreat.

Last edited:

Do you have any idea of what you are saying?

There is no reason why a global corporation should have any patriotism toward the United States. It isn't their country. They are global. They pay taxes, but pay them here, and in Europe, and in Asia and in South America, Africa, that's why they are global. Which means they can kick the greedy American ass to the curb and move on.

A thought that has never been broached, what if the corporation that has it headquarters in the US but the majority of its workforce, if not all of them, and they file bankruptcy. whose court system to they use and why?What are all of the ramifications to the country they file bankruptcy?

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is treason. I would say that it is greed. Corporations are going where they can turn the biggest profit. The problem is, with all of these huge corporations trying to evade paying taxes, the feds can only raise them elsewhere. The feds have to get their revenue, and if massive corporations are keeping a majority of their money out of America, they have to get the money somewhere. It's like when the IRS allowed a grace period for those individuals and corporations who were keeping money overseas to come clean, and not receive high penalties, thousands of individuals and corporations tuned in their money, and the IRS collected around $50 billion already just this year. Just think about how much money is kept out of this country because of the tax laws. They need to be addressed, and incentives need to be granted for those who move or keep their production sites here in America.... ohhh wait, we did try to do that, but it was prevented by our beloved republican party. :eek:

Seems like a pretty weak argument. Unless they feel there's no future market for their products, they'd better plan something. The impetus behind the short term thinking we see today is the musical chairs nature of life at the top of the corporate ladder. These guys just want to make bank and then make a hasty retreat.

So they're greedy evildoers, but they're willing to "make a hasty retreat" and stop making money at some point? That makes no sense. As for my explanation being a weak argument, yours makes two contradictory claims: That businessmen are both insatiably greedy and that they would be content with making a quick buck.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is treason. I would say that it is greed. Corporations are going where they can turn the biggest profit. The problem is, with all of these huge corporations trying to evade paying taxes, the feds can only raise them elsewhere. The feds have to get their revenue, and if massive corporations are keeping a majority of their money out of America, they have to get the money somewhere. It's like when the IRS allowed a grace period for those individuals and corporations who were keeping money overseas to come clean, and not receive high penalties, thousands of individuals and corporations tuned in their money, and the IRS collected around $50 billion already just this year. Just think about how much money is kept out of this country because of the tax laws. They need to be addressed, and incentives need to be granted for those who move or keep their production sites here in America.... ohhh wait, we did try to do that, but it was prevented by our beloved republican party. :eek:

What greed are you talking about? the greed of democrats that raise taxes and force companys to leave and not want to pay them? is that what you are talking about? of course not... you want to raise taxes and stomp your foot and call them greedy because they leave and wont pay your assnine high taxes......

and of course swallow pointed out you still buy their goods.... so who is greedy? them or you?

I just figured out the new social contract in 2013, in the 1920's we had the Unions, in the 2013 we need a revoloution against big box stores. stop going, stop buying cheap crap from china. Crash the Walmarts, lowes of the US..... the local stores will come back with higher prices and the employees will get a "living wage". dont buy fucking cheap, buy for quality.....Buy local.

What greed are you talking about? the greed of democrats that raise taxes and force companys to leave and not want to pay them? is that what you are talking about? of course not... you want to raise taxes and stomp your foot and call them greedy because they leave and wont pay your assnine high taxes......

What greed am I talking about? First maybe you should understand the definition of greed: Greed- (Noun)
Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.

Now apply that to the huge corporations in our country, and you might be able to see what I am talking about. When a company is making millions, even billions of dollars in profits, then seek to keep as much money to themselves without paying even the simple taxes that required by law, that is greed. True we have a seriously defective tax system in our country, and that needs to be addressed asap. But I will not also sit here and say, its ok big corporations, our tax system is defective, so try and keep all the money you can to yourself.

I find it funny that you presume to think I want to raise taxes, and run around stomping my feet. If people/corporations actually paid the taxes they were supposed to (I know its a noble concept) then we wouldn't have to keep raising taxes. And the liberals are just as guilty as the conservatives. They all rape the tax system, then bitch about it being defective, somehow justifying their willingness to avoid paying their weight. I pay the endless taxes the government levees against us citizens, and I do not jump through any holes, which gives me plenty of justification for lashing out at the ones who screw the system for their own personal gain. Dems and republicans alike!

and of course swallow pointed out you still buy their goods.... so who is greedy? them or you?

If you are referring to me, then you couldn't be more wrong. I buy all of my food from local farmers. There are three big local farmers around my city (Charleston), to which we buy all of our produce from. Meat, is bought from local farmers, out in Hollywood and Ravenel (South Carolina). We can buy hogs, cows, and chickens from farmers who do not feed their animals hormones, anti-bodies and steroids. And when I do choose to buy food from the grocery store I will make sure that the brand is not owned by a corporate farmer, i.e. Monsanto. Now the tricky thing is finding products in the grocery store, that aren't tied to these huge corporate farmers. It's tricky I said, not impossible. It takes a little time and research, but it is worth it.

Forum List

Back